Scat With Hackberries

indiefoot

On February 19th of this year We had a spell of decent weather and I was driving some rural farm lanes a mile or so north of my usual study area in N.E. Kansas. On a one lane dirt/gravel farm road I came across this scat in the road, it appeared to be a day or two old as it was still moist under the dry surface. There were two piles of about equal size separated by about 150 feet. The appearance and content was identical so I assume they came from the same donor. I'm guessing that whatever left one, decided they weren't finished and left a second pile. Both appear to have been left at the same approximate time.

post-9-048279000 1307634175_thumb.jpgpost-9-065446600 1307634213_thumb.jpg

The scat is roughly human in appearance and size and is made up entirely of Hackberry fruit.

post-9-072459600 1307634155_thumb.jpg

post-9-079373900 1307635374_thumb.jpg

post-9-007470300 1307634316_thumb.jpg

post-9-038608900 1307634284_thumb.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtis_occidentalis

Hackberry is very common in our area and the fruit stays on the tree through the winter. Since our donor had to get the fruit from the trees many possible donors are eliminated. The size eliminates many smaller animals. There is no history of bears within 200 miles of this area. What donors are left?

BFF Patron

Can hackberries be harvested from the ground after falling or do they maintain tenacity on the trees through the winter. Does new growth throw the old ones off the branch? Wind? Must it be something accessed by climbing or by flight/birds?

Edited to add: sorry, missed the "thru the winter part", :blush:

Guest TooRisky

Well Bear, BF or Human... No bears for over 200 years plus a little early for them to be out in February, especially those bipedal mangy bears, lil cold... Humans tend to chew, grinding up there food for digestion and considering only berries in the diet is a very doubtful suspect... So what is left...???

So what other large omnivores do you have in the area...???

Edited by TooRisky

Guest TooRisky

I'm with bipedalist. I suspect these can be eaten\rooted from the ground.

Totally agree... Now on to what else could have left a omnivore type scat of that size...???

Guest TooRisky

Could it be deer scat in cluster form?

Not even close to any Ungulate, you can disregard cows to goats, deer to moose... This scat belongs to an omnivore, a large omnivore the size of a big Shepard to Human to BF... Now i believe the berries can be had off the ground, one can clearly see just by the unchewed berries that this was one big sit down meal for something... I would have to say Bear, but if there just are not any Bear and have not been for 200 years in the area then... Well process of elimination has to be used...

Is there any Badgers in LA., A big Badger might be the culprit and they eat berries at certain times if the year... But the size of the scat maybe/kinda rules them out...

Badger Diet: Badgers are mainly carnivores but also referred to as omnivorous and insectivorous and a tasty earthworm or juicy bulb will satisfy their hunger along with small mammals, lizards, frogs, insects or young rabbits and birds. Earthworms make up 50% of their diet. Depending on the time of year badgers also feed upon berries, fruits, nuts, roots and cereals if other food sources are short. Badgers are also known to eat carrion (the carcass of a dead animal). They also dig up the nests of wasps and bumblebees in order to eat the larvae.

Edited by TooRisky

Guest BFSleuth

From the size of the scat it looks more in the range of raccoon, an omnivore and a very capable climber to get the winter harvest of berries.

You can see an image of raccoon scat on this web page, halfway down on the left side:

http://campus.murraystate.edu/academic/faculty/Terry.Derting/mammalogy2001/Tracks/scatpage.html

Edited by BFSleuth

Guest CaptainMorgan
Those look painful.

Fiber YES, cardboard NO

Delicious Fiber-One Hackberry Granola Bars

Mystery Solved!

Edited by CaptainMorgan

Guest TooRisky

From the size of the scat it looks more in the range of raccoon, an omnivore and a very capable climber to get the winter harvest of berries.

You can see an image of raccoon scat on this web page, halfway down on the left side:

http://campus.murray...s/scatpage.html

Well there certainly are plenty of Coons in LA., and I bet they can grow them pretty big in that state and climate... The one issue I have is that Coons are territorial and have a place they always use as a latrine, so ya would have to observe this area for deification activity of this big boy...

More info on coons, scat, and habits... http://www.bear-tracker.com/****.html

Again with the political correctness LOL the **** will have to be replaced by c o o n with no spaces...

Edited by TooRisky

All of my research has pointed to the fruit staying on the tree thru the winter. I have links at home , but was unable to post from there on my dinner break.

I don't think Racoons leave scat as big as a large human. You can see for yourself the size in relation to the Coke can.

I've lived here all of my life and we've never had a bear reported. All I can conclude is either BF or human.

This is in North East Kansas Risky

Edited by indiefoot

Guest BitterMonk

All I can conclude is either BF or human.

IMHO you presume too soon. That looks a lot like feral hog scat.

Guest FuriousGeorge

You're right TooRisky. I originally looked at it on my iPhone. The berries looked like clumped pellets, which happens when there is abundant moisture.