Scat With Hackberries

indiefoot

Guest TooRisky

Indiefoot, i think we both know what you have there... You said there were 2 piles about 150 feet apart and on a dirt/farm road... That would indicate the species felt very comfortable out in the open and may indicate that it was not passing through but habituates in the area... Can you broach the subject with the local farmers without causing any concern and ask if they have heard or had any unusual encounters... Also might wanna get permission to come on their land and spend a few nights getting an idea of what goes bump in the night... I would sure join ya if i was in the area, have fun with this...

Don't hesitate to PM or E-mail me for an honest 2nd opinion or if ya wanna chat about this...

Edited by TooRisky

Guest BitterMonk

yes I would... I want to see this as I am unaware of many animals that consider them food besides birds... Yes a Big Holly Berry filled scat would be very educational...

You've got to realize that these Georgia winters aren't like what you're accustomed to in Washington. The bears here often don't hibernated during the winter, so the pickings are slim. I've also got one of almost nothing but hickory nuts.

DSC04360.jpg

FWIW this was right underneath another holly tree.

TR,

I know where they are, this is near my main study area. I have found some evidence of at least a few spending the winter monthes near here. I was surprised when I saw that they were eating Hackberries, in February it would be an abundant food to see them through until the warmer monthes bring the greens. They have a source of protien that is year round.

If you have a plausible explanation for what happened here in Kansas I'll be glad to listen.

If it's a possible primate scat, how do you explain the lack of mastication of the hackberry fruit?

Guest TooRisky

TR,

I know where they are, this is near my main study area. I have found some evidence of at least a few spending the winter monthes near here. I was surprised when I saw that they were eating Hackberries, in February it would be an abundant food to see them through until the warmer monthes bring the greens. They have a source of protien that is year round.

I know we are in different parts of the country, but why would the species go for the berries and not lean on say more meat... Unless the berries have some soothing or medicinal value... Here in the PNW they tend to follow the Deer and Elk into well into Spring when they calf... This may be unanswerable and maybe me just thinking out loud...

I1,

Those seeds are described as toothbreakers. The fruit is sweet and pulpy. I am just trying to learn what I can from what I find.

TR,

They have a source of protein that doesn't require hunting. I was surprised to find this during February, but it did warm up then and stay pretty warm. I had not seen any sign of them during the cold months in years past. They usually move back in here when the Cottonwood trees flower.

post-9-047251600 1307749355_thumb.jpg

Guest FuriousGeorge

Thanks Redwolf. That was good info.

I was wondering if bf would pass up an opportunity like that. I couldn't find anything on hackberry pits. The reason I asked was I thought I remembered reading a study on higher primates when given an abundance of fruits, passed up on the flesh and went right for the pits for the most essential vitamins like B-17. Something along those lines. Any monkey experts here know what I mean? I couldn't find that study just now lol. Google is being fickle.

Guest TooRisky

I1,

Those seeds are described as toothbreakers. The fruit is sweet and pulpy. I am just trying to learn what I can from what I find.

TR,

They have a source of protein that doesn't require hunting. I was surprised to find this during February, but it did warm up then and stay pretty warm. I had not seen any sign of them during the cold months in years past. They usually move back in here when the Cottonwood trees flower.

post-9-047251600 1307749355_thumb.jpg

Yeah we really don't have fruit year round and the winters are real harsh... the easy meal would be the way to go to get through the winter in some fashion...

Edited by TooRisky

Admin

I am pretty sure I know what left that scat. I believe it was ManBear Pig. I'm Super Serial.... :lol:

I hope I'm not repeating myself. However, if so, someone throw a rock at me. A friend in Jersey was walking through the woods and to see her message made me giggle. She went on to describe just how big this poo was but the last thing she said was "I wondered how whatever did this poo lived survived the episode, it was so big." So yeah, Indie, that could account for a lot of howling in the woods :lol:

It looks like Coyote poop to me.

Not even out of the ordinary.

If you google image search Coyote scat berries you will see several examples

So a coyote can pick just hackberries off the tree and eat just them, nothing else and then leave a dump the size of a 250 pound person. Who knew.