Field trips 2.0

BC witness

1 hour ago, BC witness said:

Those spur roads may not get repaired until needed for logging, which could be years away. That'll give the local wildlife time to get comfortable back in there, Sas included. ;)

I've been thinking that a fat tired Ebike might be a good option to get into those cut off areas without disturbing the locals.

I have a quiet kat. Buy the Bakcou. Incredible customer service. The Bafang mid drive gives you all your gears. So 1st gear with the motor in the highest power setting is a rock crawling Jeep. Hub motors are only at the wheel. They don’t power through the mechanical gears. Fine for flat land.

This looks cool too.

https://outriderusa.com/products/coyote-quad-compact-electric-atv

All of this EV stuff is spendy tho

That Coyote is interesting.  It needs an exoskeleton to protect the rider from branches in order to be viable around here.  But it is very cool.

• Upvote 1

When was the last time that you attempted to true and balance a spoke wheel?   Spoke wheel questionable. Solid rim good.

My Spring adventures have been delayed for a short while but I did get the opportunity to get out yesterday to my new area of interest. Went to a pond and found an area along the east side that is perfect for an overnight or weekend. The water drops off here so it should be good for fishing.

I tested various sounds that I can hopefully use to my advantage. Looking forward to an overnight soon.

1124005634_20220506_115102(003).thumb.jpg.b041be4c962a1efb719087b42032449b.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Went out again today to try and find morels.  New spot was 30 miles away from the last spot, and my pastor said he found some in the area earlier this week.  He would not tell me where he found his, lol.  Morel spots are closely guarded secrets out here.

I hiked for hours and found tons of mushrooms.  But, only one tiny morel.

IMG_20220508_145052839.thumb.jpg.21c516c1782e6b0989449dfec4e09146.jpg

Could not believe all of the elk sign in the area.  This was from a monster elk and from earlier in the day.

IMG_20220508_160459537.thumb.jpg.56aad4dc50117d63687b12544dbeb9ce.jpg

Found one "squatchy" anomaly about 100 yards from the only morel I found.  Looked like a bunch of downed pine boughs from a bad storm a couple of weeks ago were gathered to a specific spot and made into a crude nest.

IMG_20220508_154244501.thumb.jpg.1035f8f74aced398b6a9d2677f46d9db.jpg

IMG_20220508_154445394.thumb.jpg.352763960c4c4b174a10ae4aa5d5e4a1.jpg

The pictures really don't do it justice as it is in a definite bowl shape in a depression and the boughs were all pushed down and formed.

Despite the unproductive day, it was mostly nice and I got to wander in the woods again.

IMG_20220508_172823924.thumb.jpg.5e268dd075f5e95687f7696267894040.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

Ticks are out.  This guy fell out of my hair today.  Creepy.

IMG_20220509_185557567.thumb.jpg.aae65a10c818587642e4b7d6f608b71b.jpg

I’ve had 5 on me so far. 

• Sad 1

For some reason, they never latch on and feed.  I've only had one tick ever feed on me and that was over 20 years ago.

I've had several ticks decide to lunch on me these past few years. In 2019, I pulled one that was embedded in me, put the tick in a medicine jar, and headed to an urgent-care center to get antibiotics. While sitting in the waiting room, I did a search of "tick identification" and found a university that would identify it for you for free. I took a photo of the tick, emailed it to them, and within two hours had the result. Impressive. 

While waiting in the waiting room I also found that Cornell University had a program where you can mail the tick to them and for a fee they will test it for six or seven different diseases. Before the day's end, that tick was on its way to Cornell. I got the results 3 days later.  I assume that Cornell is still offering the program to the public but don't know that. The benefit is you will know exactly what disease to address in case things start going south medically.

I think the cost was around $125 and I had it done on two occasions for two different ticks. The first one positively identified Babesiosis and the second one tested negative for all. Other universities may offer that same type program. Cornell University just happen to come up when I did a search online.

Cornell tick testing

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 4

I hate ticks. I have had more than my fair share of them. Two years ago, I was walking in a new area, and was warned of ticks beforehand. I wore long sleeves, etc. Still when I got home I had one embedded in my stomach, and one on my butt-cheek. I don't really know how they got there. Nasty horrible things, those. In fact, I think I am off to Amazon to order some permethrin. 

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic