Field trips 2.0

BC witness

It just looks like a great time, Norseman. I have friends who went down to Florida in a trailer and and were thrilled when they were given waterfront....until a 12 footer showed up and spent the morning sun bathing on their site. They asked if they could move more inland that afternoon.

• Like 1

Looks like a good time Norse.  I too hate to fly due to dealing with with airports and now that I don’t have to, due to a career change, I hope not to ever again unless it’s on 2 wheels.  No more air!!

• Like 1

A little different adventure on Sunday, in sasquatch country along Harrison Lake east side, but not a research trip.
On Sunday morning I drove a young couple from Chilliwack out to Clear Creek FSR to assist in the recovery of her Ford F150, which had been stuck in a washout since Valentines Day. The actual recovery was done by Vedder Towing, I was shuttling the couple who owned the truck, and part of the tow crew, as well as a backup anchor if the tow truck got stuck in the snow. Overall a 10 hour operation.

Actually, there was a Sasuatch involved; zoom in on the tailgate and you'll see a decal of the St'ailis First Nation Sask'ets, the origin of the word Sasquatch.

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0948.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG

Edited by BC witness
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

There is a group in Colorado that does amazing rescues, all seasons. I think it is a herd of JEEPs. A group larger than three is a herd, especially in Montana. They have you tube presentations but I don't have a link.

It is good that the truck did not get washed downhill. What a friend BC Witness.

Catmandoo, the truck had slumped downhill at least a foot in the week it was stuck there. I saw pictures taken the day they had to leave it, and they said the creek had eroded some more soil from under the front. Another day or two and it may have tipped right into the gully.

Looks like a tough one. Pulling it from up the road may have made it slide down into the gully. It looks like they pulled it towards the bend in the road where the creek crosses it before pulling the other direction. How did they accomplish that?

Northwind, if you zoom in on the 3rd photo, you should see a line (look above the right corner of the pickup cab) going to the base of a large tree on the bank above the road. The boyfriend made like Tarzan and scrambled up the very steep bank to loop a strap around the base of the tree, then the 4'-10" lady swamper carried a snatchblock up to hook on the strap. The operator hooked that line to the frame under the front of the truck, and another to the trailer tow bar on the rear of the frame. Once he was rigged, it took about 10 minutes to ease the truck slowly out sideways. Slick as a whistle! He really knew what he was doing. The F150 fired right up and backed up the hill, after the 4x4 tow truck had made 3 runs to get up to where I was parked. The young couple drove the pickup, the tow driver and his wife in the F550, and the swamper and I in my truck drove the 43km back to pavement at a snails pace, as the suspension in the tow truck was way too stiff for the washboard road.

When we got to town, the couple who's truck was rescued took me out for a nice dinner and filled my gas tank at the service station she runs.

Edited by BC witness
stupid censor starred *** out the word before "block"

1 hour ago, BC witness said:

Northwind, if you zoom in on the 3rd photo, you should see a line (look above the right corner of the pickup cab) going to the base of a large tree on the bank above the road. The boyfriend made like Tarzan and scrambled up the very steep bank to loop a strap around the base of the tree, then the 4'-10" lady swamper carried a snatchblock up to hook on the strap. The operator hooked that line to the frame under the front of the truck, and another to the trailer tow bar on the rear of the frame. Once he was rigged, it took about 10 minutes to ease the truck slowly out sideways. Slick as a whistle! He really knew what he was doing. The F150 fired right up and backed up the hill, after the 4x4 tow truck had made 3 runs to get up to where I was parked. The young couple drove the pickup, the tow driver and his wife in the F550, and the swamper and I in my truck drove the 43km back to pavement at a snails pace, as the suspension in the tow truck was way too stiff for the washboard road.

When we got to town, the couple who's truck was rescued took me out for a nice dinner and filled my gas tank at the service station she runs.

Ah yes. I see it now. Makes perfect sense, and was what I was thinking if the truck were mine and I had to recover. Nice work!

Admin
On 2/22/2022 at 1:11 AM, BC witness said:

assist in the recovery of her Ford F150

She's lucky it didn't roll over.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, DrPSH said:

Sure is beautiful, Norseman, unless you are the one that has to drive on it!

This is where I wanna snap my fingers and the snow be gone. Break up is not my fav.

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic