Field trips 2.0

BC witness

Some Gossip I will share. This is second hand.

The fishing guide on Sunday was a gun guy. As we all were on the boat. He had met Cliff Barackman on a few occasions and liked him and thought much of his evidence compelling. The notion of killing one to prove they exist came up. Which is a big no no with Cliff.  I’ve respectfully corresponded with Cliff a few times. So I concur....

Then Cliff drops a doozie and tells the guide that there isn’t a gun made that could kill Bigfoot.... The guide replies, you know they hunt Elephants in Africa, right?!! I replied, yah, what about Kodiak brown bears? My cousin and his buddy had both been on Kodiak Is. fishing. And were shaking their heads vigorously. Then a debate started about what was the best gun to pack in Alaska.... yadda yadda.

Im not trying to beat up Cliff. But some of these notions about what Bigfoot can and cannot do is getting a tad ridiculous. Yes. Dangerous creatures are dangerous. No doubt. Hunters become the hunted and pay the price every year. So do hikers, berry pickers, campers, fishermen, etc. In Africa it’s dangerous to do your laundry in the river, or bathe. People are ripped out of their huts in the middle of the night by lions or leopards. Jaguars in South America. Tigers in Asia. So forth and so on. 

The common denominator is there is not one species of animal on the face of this Earth that hasn’t been felled by a bullet. And we were doing it long before the invention of gun powder too. And not without risks. And this also goes for human creatures too... big ones, little ones, armed with swords, lances, crossbows, muskets and rifles. Some wearing plate or chain mail armor, some mounted on horses, camels and elephants.... Nothing is invincible!!!

I do not know why people convince themselves of such things. Again not saying it’s not dangerous. But 800 lbs is the same size as a 6x6 bull Elk or a large (interior) Grizzly Bear, it’s not even close to the size of Brown bears, Bull Moose, Bison, Water Buffaloes, Rhino, Elephants, etc. You get the picture.

Modern firearms are perfectly capable of ruining a 800 lbs ape mans day....promise.

5 hours ago, norseman said:

The fishing guide on Sunday was a gun guy. As we all were on the boat. He had met Cliff Barackman on a few occasions and liked him and thought much of his evidence compelling. The notion of killing one to prove they exist came up. Which is a big no no with Cliff.  I’ve respectfully corresponded with Cliff a few times. So I concur....

Then Cliff drops a doozie and tells the guide that there isn’t a gun made that could kill Bigfoot.... The guide replies, you know they hunt Elephants in Africa, right?!! I replied, yah, what about Kodiak brown bears? My cousin and his buddy had both been on Kodiak Is. fishing. And were shaking their heads vigorously. Then a debate started about what was the best gun to pack in Alaska.... yadda yadda.

Im not trying to beat up Cliff. But some of these notions about what Bigfoot can and cannot do is getting a tad ridiculous. Yes. Dangerous creatures are dangerous. No doubt. Hunters become the hunted and pay the price every year. So do hikers, berry pickers, campers, fishermen, etc. In Africa it’s dangerous to do your laundry in the river, or bathe. People are ripped out of their huts in the middle of the night by lions or leopards. Jaguars in South America. Tigers in Asia. So forth and so on. 

The common denominator is there is not one species of animal on the face of this Earth that hasn’t been felled by a bullet. And we were doing it long before the invention of gun powder too. And not without risks. And this also goes for human creatures too... big ones, little ones, armed with swords, lances, crossbows, muskets and rifles. Some wearing plate or chain mail armor, some mounted on horses, camels and elephants.... Nothing is invincible!!!

I do not know why people convince themselves of such things. Again not saying it’s not dangerous. But 800 lbs is the same size as a 6x6 bull Elk or a large (interior) Grizzly Bear, it’s not even close to the size of Brown bears, Bull Moose, Bison, Water Buffaloes, Rhino, Elephants, etc. You get the picture.

Modern firearms are perfectly capable of ruining a 800 lbs ape mans day....promise.

Are you sure he wasn't inferring that they aren't flesh and blood?

Has his view potentially changed?

8 hours ago, norseman said:

"But some of these notions about what Bigfoot can and cannot do is getting a tad ridiculous."

A TAD ridiculous?  It's gone beyond that...

People are are experts on every single aspect of these creatures.  Every single aspect.  People will just throw out statements about Bigfoot as fact all of the time.  

These things would have to be extremely physically gifted to stay hidden and move the way that many reports depict them.  However, if they were invincible then they would move around at will with no attempt at stealth.  Why hide from something that you don't fear? 

Not to mention that they would have predated their main competition for resources off the continent long before the first Europeans arrived.  The settlers would have found mounds of Indian bones and fat Sasquatch everywhere.

I can't remember who it was, but there was a Bigfoot researcher who put forth that Sasquatch became more reclusive and less openly violent when Europeans arrived with their firearms.  

Like Natfoot said, the only way that this would appear to be true would be a supernatural explanation. 

I respect Cliff's work, but I do not agree with this idea.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, NatFoot said:

Are you sure he wasn't inferring that they aren't flesh and blood?

Has his view potentially changed?

I’m not sure. I’ve never heard him float the idea of supernatural.

BFF Patron

Never heard Cliff mention a supernatural BF.     I agree that barring the fact that BF is supernatural,  a cyborg, or ET,   an adequate weapon should be capable of bringing it down just like any other large animal.     But and this is a big but,    other than the big cats like tigers,   you have to take into account that BF is a top tier predator in its own right.    Not exactly like hunting a water buffalo.    Making it even more dangerous is that it seems to have near human intelligence.  That is not a factor hunting other animals.  Perhaps he was thinking of that with regard to hunting BF or just trying to discourage anyone hunting it in the first place.      I will never shake the memory of pressing one to try to get it to break cover by closing on it,   only to have another flank me,  and break off a tree behind me.   I had no clue more than one was in the area.  I only heard the one moving around.  They were in control of that encounter,  not me.  I woulld not advise anyone to hunt BF solo.   You need to watch each others back.   Perhaps that even applies to hunting them with a camera.  As luck has it,  that encounter was right at the edge of a clearcut.    When I got growled at and the tree was broken off,  I made a hasty retreat into the middle of the clear cut.  Had I been in the middle of a forested area,  I might have blundered right into another one.  

Oh,  I think I need to get me one of these.      

Edited by SWWASAS

6 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

Never heard Cliff mention a supernatural BF.     I agree that barring the fact that BF is supernatural,  a cyborg, or ET,   an adequate weapon should be capable of bringing it down just like any other large animal.     But and this is a big but,    other than the big cats like tigers,   you have to take into account that BF is a top tier predator in its own right.    Not exactly like hunting a water buffalo.    Making it even more dangerous is that it seems to have near human intelligence.  That is not a factor hunting other animals.  Perhaps he was thinking of that with regard to hunting BF or just trying to discourage anyone hunting it in the first place.      I will never shake the memory of pressing one to try to get it to break cover by closing on it,   only to have another flank me,  and break off a tree behind me.   I had no clue more than one was in the area.  I only heard the one moving around.  They were in control of that encounter,  not me.  I woulld not advise anyone to hunt BF solo.   You need to watch each others back.   Perhaps that even applies to hunting them with a camera.  As luck has it,  that encounter was right at the edge of a clearcut.    When I got growled at and the tree was broken off,  I made a hasty retreat into the middle of the clear cut.  Had I been in the middle of a forested area,  I might have blundered right into another one.  

Oh,  I think I need to get me one of these.      

You win the lottery!?

https://www.themeateater.com/conservation/anthropology/is-bigfoot-dangerous?fbclid=IwAR2iHMPu0WwAWa3P8oERxnkm9StiDJcOtru4zAEdL77flOWGZ29XC2guJxc

From the article:

Is Bigfoot Dangerous?

Clifford Barackman
Clifford Barackman runs the North American Bigfoot Center, a museum dedicated to Sasquatch in Oregon.  He is also the evidence analyst for Animal Planet’s Finding Bigfoot and made an appearance on History Channel’s Monsterquest.

“Like any large wild animal, Sasquatches are potentially dangerous. However, their demeanor seems to be more like other ape species in that they are shy and reclusive by nature. The overwhelming majority of sighting reports include observations of Sasquatches simply walking away from the witness.

“Occasionally the Sasquatch puts on a small display or acts aggressively for a few moments, but if the person doesn’t leave the area, the Sasquatch nearly always does. The very few reports of people being harmed by Sasquatches always have an instance of the human taking a shot at the creature or some other act of aggression on our part. Of course, we only hear from the witnesses that survive…”

Dr. Jeffrey Meldrum
Dr. Jeffrey Meldrum is a professor of Anatomy and Anthropology. His lab in Pocatello, Idaho, houses over 300 footprint casts from a mysterious North American primate. He is the author of “Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science,” which explores the scientific evidence for Bigfoot.

“Naturally, any large predatory animal is potentially dangerous and deserving of proper deference. However, most reported encounters with Sasquatch are rather innocuous: witness sees Bigfoot and both retreat in opposite directions. Sasquatch is generally perceived as a shy, solitary creature that avoids human contact. With an ape’s intelligence (or better) comes a level of curiosity, which I believe draws them to investigate human activities.

“In those few anecdotes where violence occurs, it is typically the human that is the antagonist, shooting at the Sasquatch. Having said that, there are those who describe Bigfoot as a ‘cannibal giant’ that eats hunters and abducts women and children, just as many African natives attributed such behaviors to the once-mysterious gorillas. Throughout the Pacific and Inter-Mountain West, dzunoqua and tsaw-haw-bits are two of various names applied to the hairy monster that snatched and ate wayward children.”

• Thanks 1

BFF Patron
13 hours ago, norseman said:

You win the lottery!?

Need that for the drone.      I have done some dumb stuff dealing with BF, the above encounter being one of them.    Some of which potentially could have gotten me killed if the BF was in a bad mood.       If anyone decides to start hunting them in SW WA, do me a favor and let me know.  I don't want to be the first human they enounter after they have encountered a human that is hunting them.   The biggest gun I carry is a 357 and it would just make it more angry to shoot one coming after me with that gun.  .  

@norseman just from my exchanges with cliff and Meldurm I'm gonna say I kinda agree with cliff. But probably not for the reason that first comes to mind. Yeah, as a former serviceman and having hit my expert marksman cert on multiple weapons, you hetter believe if theres something flesh and blood out there it can be dealt with using some high velocity lead therapy. Heres where I say theres nothing out there that can kill one, say you kill one, then what. It gets out, its a hoax weather its just roadkill in a freezer or the real article. It gets covered up, no one can tell me its not been done before. There are news articles here in WV going back to the 1800s about a mod killing a wildman. But those stories are so famously refuted that anyone not interested in the subject have no clue they existed. So even if we do harvest one, did it happen? Will it ever be anything more than a story? As MIB sounding as it is, thats why I dont think you can kill a Bigfoot lol. Cause even if you did no one will ever know. I know it sounds all conspiracy theory but we have proof of Smithsonian redactions of the exhumed bodies here in WV out of the mounds. This stuff isnt "safe" for public knowledge for whatever reason.

37 minutes ago, Skinwalker13 said:

@norseman just from my exchanges with cliff and Meldurm I'm gonna say I kinda agree with cliff. But probably not for the reason that first comes to mind. Yeah, as a former serviceman and having hit my expert marksman cert on multiple weapons, you hetter believe if theres something flesh and blood out there it can be dealt with using some high velocity lead therapy. Heres where I say theres nothing out there that can kill one, say you kill one, then what. It gets out, its a hoax weather its just roadkill in a freezer or the real article. It gets covered up, no one can tell me its not been done before. There are news articles here in WV going back to the 1800s about a mod killing a wildman. But those stories are so famously refuted that anyone not interested in the subject have no clue they existed. So even if we do harvest one, did it happen? Will it ever be anything more than a story? As MIB sounding as it is, thats why I dont think you can kill a Bigfoot lol. Cause even if you did no one will ever know. I know it sounds all conspiracy theory but we have proof of Smithsonian redactions of the exhumed bodies here in WV out of the mounds. This stuff isnt "safe" for public knowledge for whatever reason.

I posted this a little while ago in a different thread, but I am of the same opinion as you here.  

"It's obvious that the news is controlled in cases like this.  The flow of information is stifled and, given modern short attention spans, stories are allowed to fade away.

I have mentioned it on here before, but a perfect example of this is the Texas monkey attacks from late 2019.  It made national headlines for a few days after a mysterious primate was attacking children, pets,and later even adults.  Pretty crazy story, huh?  Then, the story just drops off and is never mentioned again.  No word of an escaped chimpanzee being captured or a monkey being shot.  The story just stopped.  

Even if the national news had moved on to the next sensational story, you would think that something like that would be of a local or even regional interest.  But, you never heard about it again. No resolution.  Even if the thing just disappeared, you would have expected to hear something about it.  But... nothing.

I have often thought that if the day comes when someone shoots a Sasquatch and has the body... what are the odds that the government just rolls in, takes the body, produces a dead chimpanzee that they claim escaped from a zoo and was shot, and the story just disappears a day later.  The vast majority of the population will never question it and will call crazy anyone who does."

I still think that a specimen can be taken, but the person who takes it is going to have to be smart and prepared..both before and after the shoot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinwalker13 said:

Lets take this discussion somewhere else. This is the field trip photos thread.

• Upvote 1

Hey guys, what model of game cams is everyone using? Im currently prototyping skins that will be textured and painted to match specific species of trees to be deployed in the field masking cameras both visually and audibly. Also what species of trees are most abundant in your areas, trying to figure which species to go start casting first.

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic