Field trips 2.0

BC witness

10 hours ago, Skinwalker13 said:

Hey guys, what model of game cams is everyone using? Im currently prototyping skins that will be textured and painted to match specific species of trees to be deployed in the field masking cameras both visually and audibly. Also what species of trees are most abundant in your areas, trying to figure which species to go start casting first.

I use the Stealth Cam 4K but have heard a lot of good things about Browning. The next trailcam I get will be a Browning Dark Ops. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the 4K.

You have me curious about the skins. Will they something that is cast, molded, and that fits over a trail cam? If so, that's a great idea. Make a mold from a specific trail cam then apply different species of tree bark texturing and color. Ingenious. 

My cam is a 2014 issue BTC-3 which I painted flat black. I may go a little more charcoal grey color this year. Better for mounting in shadow. I was thinking of painting myself charcoal grey, too, while I'm at it.

Edited by hiflier

@wiiawiwb thats exactly what im doing. I'm just trying to figure out which models most people use and order the shells that will fit them and apply the castings. They will need to be set outside to get the scent off them then deployed a few months prior to when your actually wanting to collect data. That allows them to become part of the scenery so to speak. Im also making a 7ft dead fall for myself to use that will ve outfitted with cameras and audio. With any luck itll be adopted by WVDNR to help monitor other species as well.

On 2/6/2021 at 5:36 AM, hiflier said:

I was thinking of painting myself charcoal grey, too, while I'm at it

Go for 18% grey like a Kodak grey scale card. More of an all-around color. We will call you Rochester ( New York ).

1 minute ago, Catmandoo said:

Go for 18% grey like a Kodak grey scale card.

I actually have one of those so a color match shouldn't be too, too hard. The trick will be not painting my eyelids closed ;)

I had an adventure on Sunday afternoon, which started with a post, about 1:00 PM, on a local 4x4 facebook group. A lady posted that she had just got a message from her sister, I assume via inreach, as there's no cell service out that way, that she was stranded about 4km in on Foley Lake FSR. Since I live about an hour from that spot, I offered to drive out in the H3 to see if I could help. The area has several sighting reports, so it would gave me an excuse to revisit a stretch of logging road that I hadn't been to in at least a decade.

Half an hour later I entered the Chilliwack River valley, and soon was out of cell service, as the mountains close in and settlement ends. Another 20 minutes, and I was at the start of the Foley Lake FSR, where it branches off the Chipmunk Creek FSR. I immediately hit the snow line, and giant potholes in the road, some of them 30' long and flooded 18" deep, one after the other, making progress quite slow and tedious. I reached the 4km mark without seeing any damsel in distress, so I continued up the now steeply climbing trail, with the snow getting deeper as I went, until there were no more tire marks in the snow, and a steep landslide across the road, so I knew there was no chance of a vehicle further in. Turning around was tricky on the narrow trail, with 10" of snow, and a 50' drop off the side to the lake, but low range and locking the rear diff got it done, though it was more like a 6 point turn, than a 3 pointer!

On the way back to Chipmunk, I watched the snow carefully for tracks, and saw lots of deer prints, but nothing larger. Once I was back to the river, I chose to take the long way home, via the Chilliwack Bench road, rather than the paved valley road on the other side of the river, as it goes through about 20 km of second growth forest before getting back to town. It was a bit muddy in places, since the last week had seen rain every day, but it was clear and bright for the trip, so it was vey enjoyable, and quite scenic. No Sasquatches were sighted, and no stranded ladies rescued, but I felt better for having tried. On my return to home, I checked with the original poster, and was told that someone else had come across her before I got there, and got her going, so she was safely back at home.

Here's my phone pics of some of the area:

The last one shows the Chilliwack River in the distant valley bottom, and the one above shows that my mud flaps don't help much!!

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0609.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

Edited by BC witness
add comment
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

On 2/2/2021 at 3:18 PM, SWWASAS said:

I agree that barring the fact that BF is supernatural,  a cyborg, or ET.....

I will never shake the memory of pressing one to try to get it to break cover by closing on it,   only to have another flank me,  and break off a tree behind me.   I had no clue more than one was in the area.  I only heard the one moving around.  They were in control of that encounter,  not me.  I would not advise anyone to hunt BF solo.   You need to watch each others back.   Perhaps that even applies to hunting them with a camera.  As luck has it,  that encounter was right at the edge of a clearcut.    When I got growled at and the tree was broken off,  I made a hasty retreat into the middle of the clear cut.  Had I been in the middle of a forested area,  I might have blundered right into another one. 

I like the cyborg idea but it's too syfy channel-ish. Let's recreate that edge of your seat, being surrounded by BF scenario for the reality show.  Like a james bond films usually starts off with a 15 minute crazy stunt scene, we can do something like @BobbyO running for his life and kind of dropping him into the situation of being surrounded.  He'll have a gopro and recording everything. Then, you come screaming in real low in your plane or super drone and do some kind of fancy lasers or something that scatters the BF (probably bluff) attack. Bobby O is retrieved at the rendezvous point with huckleberry nest and other flora samples bagged!

• Thanks 1

BCWitness, your tale reminds me of an old adage:  "no good deed goes unpunished".  When you look out over vistas like that, do you think to yourself that Sasquatch is out there someplace, but where?

I sure do, @JustCurious, every time I go out in the hills. There are reports from all around my area, Mission, Aggasiz, Harrison, Chilliwack Valley, and just south of the border, in Northern Wa. My own sighting and trackway find, 40+ years ago, were in a valley that I still visit regularly, just 40 minutes NE of my home.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, JustCurious said:

BCWitness, your tale reminds me of an old adage:  "no good deed goes unpunished".  When you look out over vistas like that, do you think to yourself that Sasquatch is out there someplace, but where?

He is on the edge of some of the greatest wild places still left on Earth. I had a step grandpa that lived with my grandma in Gold Bar, Wa. He was from Bella Coola, BC. And I’ve hunted SE Alaska. And been on the Cassiar Hwy. I don’t think most people comprehend it’s vastness.

• Like 1

BFF Patron
11 hours ago, Arvedis said:

I like the cyborg idea but it's too syfy channel-ish. Let's recreate that edge of your seat, being surrounded by BF scenario for the reality show.  Like a james bond films usually starts off with a 15 minute crazy stunt scene, we can do something like @BobbyO running for his life and kind of dropping him into the situation of being surrounded.  He'll have a gopro and recording everything. Then, you come screaming in real low in your plane or super drone and do some kind of fancy lasers or something that scatters the BF (probably bluff) attack. Bobby O is retrieved at the rendezvous point with huckleberry nest and other flora samples bagged!

My concept of a movie is more like the BF dream I had one time.    I befriend a female BF and she builds trust in me over time.   it develops into a Jane Goodall type situation where we interact.     I help her speak better English and help the tribe deal with a pro kill group that is working the area.    I rescue her from being hunted down and shot by the group and she gets permission for me to visit the tribe in their villiage.     They are having some sort of celebration related to their history.    The young female introduces me to her mother and sibblings.    The Big Male Tribal leader is very threatening and does not like me there.       It is suggested that I stay away from him.     I ask someone if they are from another planet.     The answer is no,  you are.    That is where my dream ends.      I do not buy a Mountain Monster approach  for a movie because that is not how they are.     They are shy and reclusive unless you do somethign to tick them off.     I suppose a special forces unit sent in to kill them could be the villians of the movie.  

Discovery Plus is touting some sort of new Finding Bigfoot show.    Have not checked it out but Animal  Planet was running Finding Bigfoot reruns.     I had forgotten how annoying MM and  Ranae are to me.    "Are  you sure what you saw walking on two legs was not a bear?"    Give me a break.  

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 10:50 PM, Catmandoo said:

Go for 18% grey like a Kodak grey scale card. More of an all-around color. We will call you Rochester ( New York ).

I used to work there. At HQ, Kodak Park, Elm Grove road, etc. Every building I ever worked in for Kodak except 1 is either torn down, blowed up, or sold off. 

I worked there when the Zapruder film was brought in, scanned and enhanced. Though we weren't allowed in the same part of the building. Nowhere near it. They wouldn't even say what the big deal was until it was gone.

IIRC, they had an internal email listserve of bigfoot enthusiasts and a couple of servers or workstations named after bigfoot. Several geeks in r&d had posters of Patty in their cubes.

32 minutes ago, Doodler said:

Every building I ever worked in for Kodak except 1 is either torn down, blowed up, or sold off.

My father worked at the Eastman Kodak facility in Kingsport, TN in the 1950's when I was a youngin'. There was an explosion at the Analine facility there on Oct 4, 1960 that killed 16 and injured over 400 but it was after he left.

Edited by hiflier

SSR Team
18 hours ago, Arvedis said:

I'm feeling it Arvedis, i'm feeling it !

My hourly rates are on par to Piers Brosnan however it should be noted. The ball's in your court, but i'm feeling it..;)

• Haha 1

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic