Jump to content

Field trips 2.0


Recommended Posts

BC witness

I went back to the area I drove through 2 weeks ago, to explore some of the side branches that I didn't have time to check out last time. The Chilliwack Bench FSR parallels the river for about 16km, and most of the side branches head up into tributary creeks feeding the river, leading to cut blocks of various ages. I like to glass over those that have enough new growth to be attractive to game animals, and that is what I did today, with no success in spotting anything bigger than a chipmunk. There was almost no traffic on the main FSR, only 4 other vehicles in 4 hours, and none at all on the branch trails. The weather was highly variable, with stiff breezes all day, and everything from rain and snow at higher elevations, to periods of sunshine. The snow didn't stick on the ground, so looking for tracks was a bit harder, but the trail surface was wet enough that anything really fresh would be quite obvious, but no luck at that, either. I only took one photo, to show the mature second growth forest that the main road passes through.

 

IMG_0615.thumb.JPG.8d5990cfb3377022839d19d7deca00d3.JPG

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
PNWexplorer

Some Bigfoot enthusiast had a sense of humor.  

 

Went on a Jeep trip into the desert on the Barry Goldwater military range near Yuma, AZ today and spotted these stickers on a few targets 

 

 

IMG_20210311_163116882.jpg

IMG_20210311_163133937.jpg

IMG_20210311_163037761_HDR.jpg

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
norseman
BFF Donor

Cool Cobra!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
wiiawiwb
BFF Donor

Great job! An exciting two days. The knock didn't sound like tree noise to me.  Is this a place you've been to before or one you'll return to?  Was the sound of the three knocks in succession similar to the sound you recorded?

 

I think having experienced a knock on two separate days eliminates the likelihood of a hoax.  Are there many people living close to where you heard the knocks?

 

Maybe someone who has an expertise in trees (arborist?) can chime in whether that sound could have been made by natural occurrence by a tree.

 

Edited  for one other thought---isn't now the time when maple trees are being tapped for sap? Is there any possibility someone running lines would be making a noise like this?

Edited by wiiawiwb
Link to post
Share on other sites
hiflier
BFF Donor

I have not been there before but the other researcher has covered a lot of ground around that area. I didn't ask how often in that particular location, though. And yes, I would certainly return to that specific place. The likelihood of a hoax is slim to none. There are homes but not within three or miles and the roads are not paved. Most are just two rut types left over from logging and very narrow with some ATV used here and there, no extra pinstriping for me. The first series of knocks was much farther away and so must have been louder to reach where I was. The single knock was much closer but didn't sound like a lot of force was used so like I said, could have been a tree cracking or ice expanding.

 

Sure, maples are no doubt being tapped in places but in the first series it wasn't anything ongoing unless someone in the distance was only tapping two trees- doubtful. As far as we know we were the only ones in the area other than an occasion driver on the main gravel road. Passed three hunters in a truck with their dogs Saturday afternoon and heard gunshots on Sunday early in the day but nothing between that and the time I left midday on Monday. In either case, though, nothing sounded like gun shots. I wish I had the foresight to have recorded Sunday's knock series....lesson learned. I've also just ordered a Zoom H1N recorder as I found out over the weekend that my very old cheapo recorder failed to operate. Looking forward to trying it out.

 

On another note, just as a looksee, I ran a game cam to keep watch on the two overnight camps and nothing was recorded. Hope I can get back in there soon but I think my buddy may be going back to do some scouting around. I've got almost 30 years on him so being younger he's more suited and active in the rougher terrain. He's a good man, out there a lot, and very experienced in the field. I'm lucky to have known him for the past six years or so. He's a good man. I'm actually quite surprised he lets me tag along :)   

Edited by hiflier
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Kiwakwe
BFF Donor

Nice work @hiflier! The benefits of gassers over diesel:) To my knowledge, I've never heard a tree pop when temps were as warm as they'd been for the last few days. Sap has been running for a while now.  It doesn't sound like cracking ice to my ears either, which never seem to be short pops but longer and wavering as the noise moves through the ice sheet. I'm pretty sure what you heard/recorded was a wood knock. Who/what made it? That's the question.

 

@wiiawiwb I have not seen a maple operation up there but that doesn't mean some individual hasn't gone out and drove a few taps in here and there. I'm inclined to think, based on hiflier's stated location of the first set of knocks that said individual wouldn't be getting his/her tap back pounding on it hard enough for the noise to carry as it did, holes are pre-drilled and don't require much hammering. It's also a bushwhack off of an overgrown woods road to get in--possible but unlikely methinks.  There is nothing back there in terms of dwellings as far as I know. It's working forest, a few camps along the big pond, but not there that I've come across. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
NorthWind

Good job, @hiflier! Most times we hear a knock is right when we arrive, or are just about to leave. Often times, there are two knocks. I wonder if it's because there are two of us. Often, the sound seems to be pretty far off, which makes recording it nearly impossible even if we had a recorder running at the time. Still, always exciting to hear.  Looking at the tracks, I would bet moose as well just because of the rounded shape. The close up that you posted almost looks like it has toe indentations, but it also looks to be kind of old so maybe it has just melted and frozen a few times and caused a distortion. 

 

I am envious. I'm dying to get back out into the field, but have been so busy with the sale of a house, moving into the new one, and trying to get a secure fence line in the back and side yards so I can get the dogs up there. 

 

Was it just you and your friend up there, or were there more than 2 people?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Believer57
BFF Donor
11 hours ago, hiflier said:

but this time I had a cheap video recorder going when I stepped out of the truck.

hiflier,

 

The trip sounded like fun and hearing tree knocks sure sounds interesting. Now, please add a steadycam to your equipment wish list. My eyeballs are still shaking! I recently bought a GoPro H7 to use the Hypersmooth feature on my plane videos. It works great and eliminates the need for a gimbal or steadycam.

 

Cheers!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
hiflier
BFF Donor
1 hour ago, NorthWind said:

Most times we hear a knock is right when we arrive, or are just about to leave

 

That's kinda what I noticed. Both incidents occured very shortly after I arrived and stopped.

 

1 hour ago, Believer57 said:

Now, please add a steadycam to your equipment wish list. My eyeballs are still shaking!

 

LOL, got that right, bud. I think the only thing worse was the original PGF ;) Fun to be there but watching and working on the video? nnnnnnot so much! All in good time...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Kiwakwe
BFF Donor
6 hours ago, hiflier said:

 I'm actually quite surprised he lets me tag along :)   

Good to have you out there hiflier, I'd missed those knocks completely!

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Doodler
BFF Donor

So maybe a little unethical, lol, but I did tell her the story of my buddy's reported sighting and how the area has a history of "wild women" sightings dating back 200 years... And how creepy those woods can be during hunting season. And how I've heard knocks, clacks and had trees fall on calm days. So...

 

Went on a short hike with my wife in the area in which we hunt that's known for old reports of bigfoot like activities, and not far from where a buddy saw something I can only describe as a Bigfoot.

 

72 F

Sunny

Gentle breeze

Noonish start

 Basically a perfect spring day.

 

Mixed 2nd growth hardwoods next to unmanaged neglected pole pine planting beds located in a state forest in the southern tier of New York.

 

Quiet as the grave. Not even the local ravens were out and about. Not a squirrel or mouse. No turkey workings. A long line of whitetail deer scrapes still evident.

 

We brought along our Jack Russell mix. She had a blast even on her leash, tracking random smells.

 

I didn't expect to see or hear anything squatchy, so... Is it ethical to go hiking with the wife in an area with a history and not remind her about that history?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Nipissing

Doodler, I'd say that depends entirely on your wife. Is she the sort who would be panicky or fearful if she knew there was the possibility of an encounter? Would it affect her enjoyment of these outings, and if so, is it going to get you in trouble? Or would she be wildly enthusiastic?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Doodler
BFF Donor
2 hours ago, Nipissing said:

Doodler, I'd say that depends entirely on your wife. Is she the sort who would be panicky or fearful if she knew there was the possibility of an encounter? Would it affect her enjoyment of these outings, and if so, is it going to get you in trouble? Or would she be wildly enthusiastic?

 

 

Let's ask!  Been married 25 years, never interviewed her on her views on the subject. She makes them known by eye roll, usually. What follows are her words generally, transliterated.

 

She would not want to go into the woods if before hand she knew there was a reasonable chance of seeing something.

 

She doesn't like camping so it wouldn't affect her view on camping. Lol.

 

She wouldn't be fearful of camping because camping (like campground camping) she figures they wouldn't want to be anywhere near that kind of situation. So since she already hates camping because of the uncomfortableness of camping, it wouldn't make it worse with bigfoot around. They aren't making the bugs worse or the electric fail, so it wouldn't bother her. (Unless they did, then she would just be pissed)

 

If they actually exist, they have some sort of higher functioning that puts them in a different league than wild animals, which makes them know better than to wander into a campground full of people. They clearly actively avoid humans, or we would see them more often. So no worries.

 

She would worry they would snack on our little terrier, though.

 

What if we did see one? " I would be shocked, I wouldn't bother alerting the media that would be a waste. If it just noped out of there, I would just be amazed but it wouldn't stop me from going into the woods. If it was aggressive that's what 'the wife' is for." ('The wife' is our nickname for my Glock.)

 

Why wouldn't that stop you from going into the woods? "Because they're so rare as to make the odds of seeing one again so low, you shouldn't need to worry "

 

She doesn't think it was unethical. "Because bigfoots, don't exist." But she says if I truly believed there was a real chance of an encounter, that I should mention it. Like if I knew there was a report in the same area just yesterday, maybe bring it up, but since there wasn't and I didn't reasonably believe there was a real chance, then It's not a disclosure of fact, it's on par with random factoid like this is where the world's biggest ball of yarn was spun in the 18th century...

 

a little disjointed, typing on phone and pooped from putting in the garden after our walk. But there it is.

 

Queue SpongeBob's Communication gif.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
norseman
BFF Donor
2 hours ago, Doodler said:

 

 

Let's ask!  Been married 25 years, never interviewed her on her views on the subject. She makes them known by eye roll, usually. What follows are her words generally, transliterated.

 

She would not want to go into the woods if before hand she knew there was a reasonable chance of seeing something.

 

She doesn't like camping so it wouldn't affect her view on camping. Lol.

 

She wouldn't be fearful of camping because camping (like campground camping) she figures they wouldn't want to be anywhere near that kind of situation. So since she already hates camping because of the uncomfortableness of camping, it wouldn't make it worse with bigfoot around. They aren't making the bugs worse or the electric fail, so it wouldn't bother her. (Unless they did, then she would just be pissed)

 

If they actually exist, they have some sort of higher functioning that puts them in a different league than wild animals, which makes them know better than to wander into a campground full of people. They clearly actively avoid humans, or we would see them more often. So no worries.

 

She would worry they would snack on our little terrier, though.

 

What if we did see one? " I would be shocked, I wouldn't bother alerting the media that would be a waste. If it just noped out of there, I would just be amazed but it wouldn't stop me from going into the woods. If it was aggressive that's what 'the wife' is for." ('The wife' is our nickname for my Glock.)

 

Why wouldn't that stop you from going into the woods? "Because they're so rare as to make the odds of seeing one again so low, you shouldn't need to worry "

 

She doesn't think it was unethical. "Because bigfoots, don't exist." But she says if I truly believed there was a real chance of an encounter, that I should mention it. Like if I knew there was a report in the same area just yesterday, maybe bring it up, but since there wasn't and I didn't reasonably believe there was a real chance, then It's not a disclosure of fact, it's on par with random factoid like this is where the world's biggest ball of yarn was spun in the 18th century...

 

a little disjointed, typing on phone and pooped from putting in the garden after our walk. But there it is.

 

Queue SpongeBob's Communication gif.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


I highly suggest you leave the computer on www.russianwives.com until she comes around on the camping thing.......

 

😉

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...