For the knowers who have seen them up close...

NatFoot

Glassing for moose, caribou, and bear for hours on end will make your mind create all kinds of things. You'll have to stare at a shadow or stump for several minutes looking for movement to confirm it's a shadow or stump. Sometimes you never figure out what you're looking at. I remember once me and my partner staring at movement in the brush well over a mile away for over an hour trying to figure out what it was. An animal, or the wind? We finally figured out that it wasn't the wind, and was a grizzly laying on and eating a dead bull moose, and the moose's antler was occasionally moving as the bear tugged at the carcass. But, frankly, not walking out there and confirming it makes that just a shared opinion. It could have been a bigfoot playing with a shed moose antler, no?

• Thanks 1

Great description of the phenomenon called pareidolia, SW! Your soapbox is well worth standing on. If newer posters on this forum learn about “ ‘dolia” then a lot of criticism can be avoided, as the newbies can then critique their own pics. I have seen posts where the poster says, “It may just be pareidolia, but I think I see a BF next to the tree...”

I experienced ‘dolia myself: I’m an avid friend to wildlife on the road and thought for sure I drove past a turtle trying to cross on the opposite lane so I doubled back and stopped to take it out of the road. It turned out to be only a glove or can or rock or something....dang! Couldn’t believe my eyes (and brain) did that! But I still stop when I think I see one, and often I am right.

Note to moderators or forum execs: could we have a section where excellent posts like this can be kept permanently, filed under the topic they cover? Something like “Here’s What Bigfoot Forum Members Need to Know”?

• Thanks 2

BFF Patron

Bigfooters or anyone staring at objects trying to figure out what they are looking at,   are also faced with a condition known a nystagmus.     It effects everyone to some degree but some more than others.    If you stare at an object, trying to figure out what you are looking at,   a totally fixed object like a distant stump can appear to move.   The apparent movement is caused by an involuntary movement of one or both eyeballs.      So the assumption when that stump moves is that it must be a BF pretending to be a stump.       The nystagmus effect has cause fighter pilots at night seeing a planet apparently moving around to think they are seeing a UFO maneuvering.    And probably caused many people looking at a distant stump to transform it into a bigfoot that moves.    All of this stuff is why BF research is hard.   

1 minute ago, SWWASAS said:

........If you stare at an object, trying to figure out what you are looking at,   a totally fixed object like a distant stump can appear to move.   The apparent movement is caused by an involuntary movement of one or both eyeballs.........

Yup.......not to mention heat waves over longer distances or higher temps making objects appear to move.

5 hours ago, Huntster said:

Glassing for moose, caribou, and bear for hours on end will make your mind create all kinds of things. You'll have to stare at a shadow or stump for several minutes looking for movement to confirm it's a shadow or stump. Sometimes you never figure out what you're looking at. I remember once me and my partner staring at movement in the brush well over a mile away for over an hour trying to figure out what it was. An animal, or the wind? We finally figured out that it wasn't the wind, and was a grizzly laying on and eating a dead bull moose, and the moose's antler was occasionally moving as the bear tugged at the carcass. But, frankly, not walking out there and confirming it makes that just a shared opinion. It could have been a bigfoot playing with a shed moose antler, no?

Thats what drones are for.

45 minutes ago, norseman said:

Thats what drones are for.

LOL........ADFG couldn't ban drones fast enough. Alaskans are downright stupid with their hatred for drones.

8 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

Bigfooters or anyone staring at objects trying to figure out what they are looking at,   are also faced with a condition known a nystagmus.     It effects everyone to some degree but some more than others.    If you stare at an object, trying to figure out what you are looking at,   a totally fixed object like a distant stump can appear to move.   The apparent movement is caused by an involuntary movement of one or both eyeballs.      So the assumption when that stump moves is that it must be a BF pretending to be a stump.       The nystagmus effect has cause fighter pilots at night seeing a planet apparently moving around to think they are seeing a UFO maneuvering.    And probably caused many people looking at a distant stump to transform it into a bigfoot that moves.    All of this stuff is why BF research is hard.   

Treestand deer hunters  know this. As the  sun is setting is the worse time and I can't begin to remember how many times that stump or branch starts looking like a deer or that branch like an antler .

:D

Edited by 7.62

12 minutes ago, Huntster said:

How about those guys who say, "Shoot it and see if it moves"?

I don't hunt with guys like that and never, knowingly, will.

37 minutes ago, Huntster said:

That's just one reason why I hunt alone now. 

I would hunt with you any day.

Your always welcome in my hunting camp.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Huntster said:

How about those guys who say, "Shoot it and see if it moves"?

I was the thing.  Fortunately, they were too drunk to shoot straight.  I was young then, and just dove behind a stump.  Now I would shoot back.  Not at them, but their truck wouldn't have taken them anywhere.  Either way, they'd have likely died.

17x7

As to seeing things in photos afterwards.  I have always found that my eyes are far more sophisticated instruments than my camera equipment (and my equipment is good).  I see things that my camera can't capture, not the opposite.  My eyes see with greater dynamic range, meaning I see in shadows better than my camera.  My focus is sharper (at anything past 4 feet.  Danged age) and I'm able to see movement while my camera can't.  There are very limited cases where the camera sees better, but that's not the norm.  Exceptions that I can think of are long-shutter night shots and sometimes I am too focused on my subject and fail to notice things like garbage cans in the background.

I don't look for 'faces' and such in my photos.  If it was clear enough for the camera to capture it, I was already looking at it.

17x7

8 hours ago, 17x7 said:

I was the thing......

Me, too. Twice. 

55 minutes ago, Twist said:

Get a room you two!!!! 😂😂

We share campfires.