The Sasquatch Research Dream Team

Guest wudewasa

SSR Team

Adrian Dorst (photographer, wildlife guide and sasquatch witness from Tofino)

You serious Chris ??

Guest niks97cobra

I think the dream team would need someone who vehemently does not believe in bigfoot but is very well educated and knowledgeable on mammals of North America.

I would like to add Dr Jane Goodall, provided she can be pried out of the grip of her "handlers" who keep her well clear of the subject despite her refreshingly open-minded comments.

For DNA analysis and primate evolution, the best of the best...

TRD2.JPG

Todd Disotell

Professor of Anthropology

Center for the Study of Human Origins

Department of Anthropology

New York University

http://anthropology.as.nyu.edu/object/todddisotell.html

Disotell on the hard facts about Bigfoot DNA...

http://www.skeptic.com/podcasts/monstertalk/09/07/02/

Dude is hardcore...

Linneaus-tattoo600.jpg

I'd like to read a full transcript of that podcast to be sure, but based on previous comments I've heard from Disotell I would not want him as a reviewer. He's made too many Dismissalist statements to have any cred as being objective.

Guest COGrizzly

Paranussus - Jon Stewart? Don't get it.

And - kit - THAT guy is THE best in his field? Really? I highly HIGHLY doubt it.

I'd like to read a full transcript of that podcast to be sure, but based on previous comments I've heard from Disotell I would not want him as a reviewer. He's made too many Dismissalist statements to have any cred as being objective.

Mulder, could you please specify one of these statements you are referring to?

And - kit - THAT guy is THE best in his field? Really? I highly HIGHLY doubt it.

Yes, it's true. He's one of the most accomplished and foremost experts in primate molecular taxonomy in the world. Do not take my word for it. You can check the links I already provided and learn more about his contributions and advancements in the field here...

http://alltheworldsprimates.org/Molecular_Taxonomy_Todd_Disotell.aspx

Biography

Todd Disotell received his Ph.D. from Harvard University in 1992 and has been at New York University ever since. For over 20 years he has specialized in generating and testing hypotheses about primate phylogeny. While the majority of his research spans all of the groups of old world monkeys, he has also worked on apes, new world monkeys, and strepsirrhines. His research group has generated many of the complete mitochondrial genomes that figure prominently in debates about phylogeny and taxonomy. He has published 50 peer-reviewed scientific papers on population genetics, behavior, and conservation genetics and regularly contributes reviews and opinion pieces to various journals. He teaches, writes about, and lectures on human variation and race.

Publications

Hodgson JA, Disotell TR. Anthropological Genetics: Inferring the History of Our Species Through the Analysis of DNA. Evolution: Education and Outreach, 3:387-398, 2010.

Hodgson JA, Bergey CM, Disotell TR. Neanderthal genome: the ins and outs of African genetic diversity. Current Biology 20:R517-9, 2010.

Burrell AS, Disotell TR. Panmixia Postposted: ancestry-related assortative mating in contemporary human populations. Genome Biology 10:245, 2009.

Li J, Han K, Xing J, Kim H-S, Rogers J, Ryder OA, Disotell T, Yue B, Batzer MA. Phylogeny of the macaques (Cercopithecidae: Macaca) based on Alu elements. Gene 448:242-249, 2009.

Hodgson JA, Sterner KN, Matthews LJ, Burrell AS, Jani RA, Raaum RL, Stewart CB, Disotell TR. Successive radiations, not stasis, in the South American primate fauna. Proceedings of the National Acadamy of Sciences USA. 106:5534-5539, 2009.

Burrell AS, Jolly CJ, Tosi AJ, Disotell TR. Mitochondrial evidence for the hybrid origin of the kipunji, Rungwecebus kipunji (Primates: Papionini). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 51:340-348, 2009.

Di Fiore A, Disotell TR, Gagneux P, Ayala FJ. Primate malarias: Evolution, adaptation, and species jumping. in Huffman MA, Chapman CA (eds). In: Primate Parasite Ecology: The Dynamics and Study of Host-Parasite Relationships. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2009.

Bilgin R, Karatas A, Coraman E, Disotell T, Morales JC. Regionally and climatically restricted patterns of distribution of genetic diversity in a migratory bat species, Miniopterus schreibersii (Chiroptera: Vespertilionidae). BMC Evolutionary Biology 8:209, 2008.

Hodgson JA, Disotell TR. No evidence of Neanderthal contribution to modern human diversity. Genome Biology 9:206, 2008.

Disotell TR. Primates phylogenetics. Encyclopedia of Life Sciences. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons, 2008.

Disotell TR. Modern human origins and evolution. Encyclopedia of Life Sciences. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons, 2008.

Ting N, Tosi, AJ, Li Y, Zhang Y-P, Disotell TR. Phylogenetic incongruence between nuclear and mitochondrial markers in the Asian colobines and the evolutiona of the langurs and leaf monkeys. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 46:466-474, 2008.

Disotell TR, Tosi AJ. The monkey's perspective. Genome Biology 8:226, 2007.

Disotell TR. Phylogenetic Relationships (Biomolecules). in Henke W, Tattersall I (eds). Handbook of Paleoanthropology, Vol. 3: Phylogeny of Hominids. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 2007.

Listman JB, Malison RT, Sughondhabirom A, Yang BZ, Raaum RL, Thavichachart N, Sanichwankul K, Kranzler HR, Tangwonchai S, Mutirangura A, Disotell TR, Gelernter J. Demographic changes and marker properties affect detection of human population differentiation. BMC Genetics 8:21, 2007.

Xing J, Wang H, Zhang Y, Ray DA, Tosi AJ, Disotell TR, Batzer MA. A Mobile Element Based Evolutionary History of Guenons (Tribe Cercopithecini). BMC Biology 5:5, 2007.

Disotell TR. 'Chumanzee' evolution: the urge to diverge and merge. Genome Biology 7:240, 2006.

Gonder MK, Disotell TR, Oates JF. New genetic evidence on the evolution of chimpanzee populations and implications for taxonomy. International Journal of Primatology 27:1103-1127, 2006.

Gonder MK, Disotell TR. Contrasting Phylogeographic Histories of Chimpanzees in Nigeria and Cameroon: A Multi-Locus Genetic Analysis. in Lehman SM and Fleagle J (eds). Primate Biogeography: Progress and Perspectives. New York: Springer, 2006.

Sterner KN, Raaum RL, Zhang Y-P, Stewart C-B, Disotell TR. Mitochondrial Data Support an Odd-Nosed Colobine Clade. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 40:1-7, 2006.

Sutton WK, Knight A, Underhill PA, Neulander JS, Disotell TR, Mountain JL. Toward resolution of the debate regarding purported crypto-Jews in a Spanish-American population: evidence from the Y-chromosome. Annals of Human Biology 33:100-111, 2006.

Xing J, Wang H, Han K, Ray DA, Huang CH, Chemnick LG, Stewart C-B, Disotell TR, Ryder OA, Batzer MA. A Mobile Element Based Phylogeny of Old World Monkeys. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 37:872-80, 2005.

Tosi AJ, Detwiler KM, Disotell TR. X-chromosomal window into the evolutionary history of the guenons (Primates: Cercopithecini). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 36:58-66.

Tosi AJ, Detwiler KM, Disotell TR. Y-chromosomal markers suitable for non-invasive studies of guenon hybridization. International Journal of Primatology 26:685-696, 2005.

Raina SZ, Faith JJ, Disotell TR, Seligmann H, Stewart CB, ******* DD. Evolution of base-substiution gradients in primate mitochondrial genomes. Genome Research 15:665-673, 2005.

Raaum RL, Sterner KN, Noviello CM, Disotell TR, Stewart C-B. Catarrhine Primate Divergence Dates Estimated from Complete Mitochondrial Genomes: Concordance with Fossil and Nuclear DNA Evidence. Journal of Human Evolution 48:237-257, 2005.

Edited by kitakaze

Guest Kerchak

Anyone who goes around with a 'funky' mowhawk and rubbish tattoos in order to try and send out some groovy message that he isn't a stuffy academic should be ignored.

Just my opinion. ;)

I think the dream team would need someone who vehemently does not believe in bigfoot but is very well educated and knowledgeable on mammals of North America.

Beliefs don't matter, evidence & empirical science trumps belief.

If there is to be a dream team assembled, then the premise to go looking has already been settled.

Yes it seemed biased to ask him what bigfoot DNA would be like, as if he would somehow know, then fall back on the giganto hypothesis to dismiss anything looking human. Disotell has never revealed the types of tests he ran to come to his conclusions. I think he should write up just what he did in his analysis of the samples he was sent, to see how thorough he was. It should make for an interesting comparison to what Ketchum has done.

Michael, Magic, Larry, Kareem, and . . . oh, I don't know, how 'bout Bob Cousy running the point?

As for finding proof of bigfoot, you don't need a dream team or even a team. We just need one person to kill one with a vehicle or a gun, or one person to find a piece of one somewhere.

Anyone who goes around with a 'funky' mowhawk and rubbish tattoos in order to try and send out some groovy message that he isn't a stuffy academic should be ignored.

Just my opinion. ;)

Ignored, no. But I see where you're coming from. Sometimes these science guys can be pretty nutty.

Guest Grazhopprr

Same old names same old results. If these people were so good why are we still just talking about it? seriously. First you got to locate them before any research can begin. And none of those names can get it done. A person can interview as many witnesses as they want and take a thousand print cast and they will still be no closer.

Anyways it most likely will be someone off the grid and out of the limelight. Then that person may call one of the self promoting celebs?

JMO

Can't say it any better. 40 something years of "research", and nothing proven. I don't really think there is a dream team possible. Dealing with each others crap just adds to the mix. Hard to hold a team together with all the ego trips flying about. Dropping names in a hat, doesn't mean they'll get along together out there. Dream teams are better off being local friends who do this as a hobby, for fun. Some just take this way too seriously, to ever be taken seriously themselves.

Guest tracker

Can't say it any better. 40 something years of "research", and nothing proven. I don't really think there is a dream team possible. Dealing with each others crap just adds to the mix. Hard to hold a team together with all the ego trips flying about. Dropping names in a hat, doesn't mean they'll get along together out there. Dream teams are better off being local friends who do this as a hobby, for fun. Some just take this way too seriously, to ever be taken seriously themselves.

It just a fun thread, you know pick a few names.

However the names mentioned are just like anyone else in the field that doesn't have confirmed proof. Take away all the info and evidence they gathered from witnesses. And let's see how much evidence and 411 they obtained on their own? That's how i look at it as far as who's an experienced field person and who's never gotten their boots muddy. Anyone with some training can interview and investigate someone else's encounter. What matters most is, if someone can go into the bush and find them.

Sorry but camping on a dead end logging road and recording twig snaps and odd noises in the night doesn't count as direct Bf experience in my books.

JMO

Edited by tracker