Bigfoot: Would You Shoot One?

Guest TooRisky

I am pro-kill in attitude, because like most, I believe we will need the body, however my research activities are decidedly no-kill.

I used to be actively pro-kill to the extent of sitting out in the woods with a gun waiting for one to come up so I could blow his brains out. I stopped doing that because I think it is a waste of my time, and detracted from my enjoyment of the woods.

Make no mistake about my intentions, though. If I had one come close enough, I would have shot him dead!

I know exactly what I was hunting for. An animal. I don't care what other people think this creature is and I don't care what other people think they saw. I know what I was hunting for. An animal no different from a deer, coyote, bear or moose. The only difference that I found is that the bigfoot creatures are smarter than your average deer, coyote, bear, moose, etc.

Although I am not actively hunting these creatures with a gun, if I am in the woods with my gun and one comes up close enough to me, bang....he's dead.

And so I/we just have to "believe" in them? Since you're not able, nor seemingly willing, to provide a whit of evidence?

Mmmmmkay. And I'm one of the more positive posters 'round these parts.

Absolutely of no concern to me what you think. No, you are not obligated to believe anything I have said. If you had any real interest in the subject, you would have done what I and others have done; get off your ass and prove it to yourself.

I have seen nothing in any of your post to that indicate you have earned the reputation you claim. Clueless and rather harmless.

Edited by Branco

Incorrigible's reputation is clueless and harmless? Don't think so.

reputation002.jpg

The only reputations I've ever seen are Fair, Neutral, Good, or Excellent.

RayG

Absolutely of no concern to me what you think. No, you are not obligated to believe anything I have said. If you had any real interest in the subject, you would have done what I and others have done; get off your ass and prove it to yourself.

I have seen nothing in any of your post to that indicate you have earned the reputation you claim. Clueless and rather harmless.

Name calling will not be tolerated. Try to use some more tact. You can refute his argument without calling him (or his "reputation") Clueless and harmless. If I see more of this the thread will be shut down for a cooling off period and warnings will be handed out.

Guest midnightwalker1

Name calling will not be tolerated. Try to use some more tact. You can refute his argument without calling him (or his "reputation") Clueless and harmless. If I see more of this the thread will be shut down for a cooling off period and warnings will be handed out.

His message is Np Colossus. I'll tone my message down going forward. It was obviously a bit strong and ticked some folks off (thus the msgs above). As for this gentleman's statement above, it doesn't mean anything to me so I am not offended. I guess I'd just ask that everyone just focus on thread and feel free to tee off on me if you like in pm.

I'd rather do that, and risk the 1000% infrasound dose ;) than just take someone elses word for their existence. Then again, I've always rejected the *trust me I know better than you* element.

well said sir

Incorrigible's reputation is clueless and harmless? Don't think so.reputation002.jpgThe only reputations I've ever seen are Fair, Neutral, Good, or Excellent.RayG

thanks ray,incorrigible is one of the good guys,whether or not you agree/disagree w/ him.

as far as shooting squatch,ive thought about it a little more while hunting recently.in self defense id pour it on ,if possible, but if at a distance id hesitate, in case it was some fool in a suit. try explaining THAT to the judge..." sorry your honor,i thought it was bigfoot,really i did".......

also, if it has been there all along, hasnt bothered me,& since im not going to eat it(despite my "tastes like chicken" remark earlier)maybe not. if you killed one & brought it in ,the property involved would possibly be invaded by media, poachers,researchers & every loony tune nut job for miles, ruining your normal activities creating a huge headache,for what, a big "i told you so" & a few $$ maybe?(which could be a +,i admit)

im not anti -kill,but as an avid hunter i know that after you squeeze the trigger you cant stop the bullet,and consequences can arise from that shot. would it be worth the headache?gives me an idea for a topic..... B)

i know that after you squeeze the trigger you cant stop the bullet,and consequences can arise from that shot.

Well spoken, I commend you for this. Now just need to get those living in the COD "reality" to read this and understand what it means. No offense to those who play, just referring to the ones who are over absorbed by the game and think they can do in real life what they do in the game.

Well spoken, I commend you for this. Now just need to get those living in the COD "reality" to read this and understand what it means. No offense to those who play, just referring to the ones who are over absorbed by the game and think they can do in real life what they do in the game.

Playing Cabela's "dangerous game" video game on Xbox has absolutely nothing to do with the real world. Nothing at all.

Most hunters know this.

Norseman it's true most hunters don't. Just seen way to many people thinking because they can do some crazy stunt like jump off a roof with a barret 50 cal and shoot the whole clip, or stand fire a barret 50 cal that it able to be done in real life and that it would be easy.

Norseman it's true most hunters don't. Just seen way to many people thinking because they can do some crazy stunt like jump off a roof with a barret 50 cal and shoot the whole clip, or stand fire a barret 50 cal that it able to be done in real life and that it would be easy.

But I see the reverse mindset as well. Yanno like Bigfoot supposedly is King Kong or something and he can take a round from a M1 Abrams tank and just keep right on coming. So why try?

As in most things, the truth lays somewhere in the middle.

I would approach the subject of taking a big foot very akin to that of a bear hunt (they are both large omnivores at the top of the pecking order). I would expect the same sort of behavior and ruggedness from a bigfoot as I do a bear and plan accordingly.

Although what motivates me to take a bear is much much different from that of a bigfoot.

Guest tracker

No I wouldn't shoot at one, I don't carry a rifle anyways. Sure I ve been scared before in the bush but unless your in grizzly territory every other creature can be dealt with using mace or loud noise. And sometimes grizz can be stopped with those. Anyways I live in the east now. so all we have out here is the odd cougar or a black bear. Coyotes/wolves never bother me but they may go after smaller targets. Sorry ladies but if your going into the back country bring a couple of husky & brave guys along.

Also I've never been concerned about dropping one just to prove something to our harsh critics or just for the sake of science. This is my passion so I hope everyone is into this for the right reasons and not for selfserving reasons like fame, fortune or to pump up their credibility or their web sites credibility. They need to be studied not exploited or blown away by a scared researcher/hunter.

So if one comes snooping around your camp or bluff charges just hold your ground or even sit down and stay near the fire. They will turn at the last second or just watch you then leave after a while and maybe even scream?. No need to blow them away since we wanted them to come in closer in the first place.

"Be carefull of what you ask for, your wish may be granted" unknown?

How true. tracker.

Guest D B Cooper

Special Ops people are trained for short term, IN and Out designated, predetermined missions. I'm not nor was I ever a "Commando", but I was a Boat Engineer on a Tango Boat in the Delta in 1970-71. We transported SEALS and Force Recon Marines on missions. I never heard them ever refer to themselves as "Commandos".

Just because they are in good shape, doesn't mean that they run out, shoot a Bigfoot and come back in again. Long term searches in what can be a very hostile environment require a Base, Logistics and Supplies and a thorough knowledge of the area. As well as preparation for long term searches.

The more people used, the lower your chances of ever seeing anything. Animals instinctively run away from any motion, noise or scent of what they percieve as a possible threat. Grease paint stinks, equipment makes noise, supply vehicles (both Air and Ground) create any number of sounds , scents and vibrations. So, unless you're Rambo, stark naked, with descented arm pits and Pine flavored breath mints, tip toeing alone through the Pucker Berries? Good Luck!

Risky, my opinion, don't take him out. You may never have another encounter if you do. Look, they know and if you've been trusted all these years, well you will cause them to lost that trust in you.

I can't elaborate in full, but those of you hunters who know that feeling of being watched? Well that IS just the tip of that ability. Those of you who do know that you can rely on those senses of yours do rely on your instincts to inform you of danger. Some who have had more encounters can always 'sense' when they are near. It's not a baseless feeling.

I think there is a certain amount of naiveté present from those who say they would shoot one. In most instances, those individuals haven't ever seen one. I saw my first sasquatch 34 years ago while I was skidding to a stop so I didn't hit him with my vehicle. I was within 25 feet of him and saw nearly every detail. And as I remembered just recently as to why I got such a good look at his face, it was because I had some KC Daylighters mounted through the roof of my vehicle. I had completely forgotten about them all these years. So that was quite a revelation for me.

Anyway, I've since had 3 more visual encounters. Each of which I've had a rifle present. Once 5 years ago I was too close and 'feared' I would have to shoot if he made a single step towards me. I was speaking calmly to him in that very tense minute or so. But I knew, that if I had to shoot, I would not be here today. I would become one of those lost hunter statistics. And I do believe that there have been many hunters who have taken the shot and many of them end up missing. As we know, there are MANY hunters that are never found again. I think its possible that they figured they would reap the rewards by shooting the beast and proving it to the world. Well, I think those individuals probably faced the wrath of retaliation instead. I KNOW that if I would have shot, it would only anger him. He would have been on top of me from that 22' distance in a split second. But that's not why I didn't shoot, there are a few reasons for that. One of which I can't fully elaborate on here because the field as a whole is not understand yet. It involves more of that 'sense' I referred to.

But I will say that after I moved to Oregon I organized a bigfoot expedition once so as to go out and kill one. There were 5 of us and we had all our weapons and gear loaded and would leave the next morning on a long drive to our destination. Well, something strange happened during the night and we would NOT go on that trip. It was abandoned and I would NEVER want to harm a sasquatch ever again. And the funny thing is, I'd since had those three visual encounters since AND had my rifle on me. Once just 2 years ago while on a solo elk hunt and I had my .338. It was just a good feeling that came over me to be honored with his visit to my elk camp.

So many of you guys thing they are just some big elusive ape. They are not. In fact, they are probably just as intelligent as we are, only not in the technology savvy way, but emotionally. Do you REALLY thinks its just out of them being elusive that we haven't proven their existence? Many they've got more on us than we can possibly know. They do know our hearts lets say.

Thing is, I always carry when I'm in the woods even looking for one. A 44 magnum with Buffalo Bores that pack one heck of a punch. But that punch would not stop one either. And I don't carry because I would ever shoot one mind you. But because I do believe there are some bad ones out there, just like there are bad people. It's merely for protection and as last resort. It's a bit of a confidence builder too I suppose cause when you've had the number/type of encounters I've had, you look at things differently. And yes, most of them are benevolent, but I know of situations where people disappeared and I suspect something bad. I won't disclose details on those because I don't want to see the incidents exploited just because there are a few bad ones.

You guys who haven't encountered one visually, or had other repeated encounters, it may require some humbling to recognize you're guessing on a few conclusions you have about them. Midnightwalker does understand a few things about them it seems. His references are the way they are, probably because he does have certain things validated for himself. Putting them into words so others who haven't had such experiences, isn't so easy, just like I can't explain certain things here. There is a leap one must make to understand and that leap involves some intangible stuff. Yeah, they do know. lol

In a few days I'm off to my annual elk hunt. Maybe I'll see the bf that lives there again? I dunno? It will be cool if it happens and I'll just take the experience in stride as I've learned to do now. He seems to be a friendly individual who experiences lots of hunters in his area, so he's fairly savvy to their presence and knows to stay low. I truly was honored when he visited my camp that early morning before dawn. We were visited many years before late at night there, but I'm not sure it was the same one. He also once followed me out after dark the year before the camp visit when I caught him digging for grubs near my blind. It's cool knowing there is a bigfoot nearby when I'm out in the elements chasing elk for such a long period. Why would I ever want to shoot a new friend?

I believe I do have these encounters even while I'm armed BECAUSE they know I wouldn't try to intentionally harm one. How could I possibly explain the reason I know that to those who have never seen one? There is a wide gap the field has that can't be filled without everyone having their own encounters. And maybe its because its those of you who WOULD shoot one, you may not share the privilege of ever seeing one? I dunno? My instincts just tell me there is something to that.

Shoot it & mount it, they make a great conversation piece to show it off to your friends ~ :o92_3a.jpg

91_3.jpg

Gawd! You have no idea how much I would love that thing for the "All Things Dead" wall in my office...

Absolutely priceless! Thanks!

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic