Bigfoot: Would You Shoot One?

Guest TooRisky

Guest ThatWildMan

I would shoot it... but the question is, do i shoot it with my Nikon or my Weatherby? I think it would depend on the situation. I have never seen a bigfoot so I dont know how morally right I would feel to shoot a possible hominid.

I would shoot it... but the question is, do i shoot it with my Nikon or my Weatherby? I think it would depend on the situation. I have never seen a bigfoot so I dont know how morally right I would feel to shoot a possible hominid.

Welcome ThatWildMan, That's your first post!I hope that you sincerely enjoy your time here, and will make friends here.

This is a great forum with tons of great members who know a lot about everything...Never a dull moment to be found here so have fun, search through the topics and read all of the important research that's been done by our members, many of whom are leaders in the BF research field, and honor us with their presence here. :D

Guest Sasquatch Fan 89

Would I shoot one? I will be honest more then likely not in case it is a man in a suit. I would try to capture it alive though. Once I go out researching bigfoot in the field I am going to carry a large gun that shoots out a net. OR has anyone thought of carrying a tranquilizer? Was going to say a tazer but i think that is too harsh. Would be easy to catch a juvenile Sasquatch I would think with a net.

Its really complicated.

My take is you can't shoot anything that might be intelligent and articulate enough to prove it, or might be human. Or close enough to human to morally qualify as murder. Unthinkable. You can't shoot even one.

If that was not the case, shoot away. And again, how you gonna get it out of the woods to where it'll be able to prove its species is real?

That said, Too Risky, I say you go but take not gun, just a camera to record the guy's last moments, which will hopefully not also be your last moments. Fingers crossed!

Edited by Kings Canyon

Twenty years ago I would have been all in favor of shooting a Bigfoot. However, over the years, I've lost my taste for blood and I'm not so quick to pull the trigger. Perhaps; that's why most soldiers are young? These days, I enjoy the hunting experience a lot more than the killing part of the hunt. That being said, I have given a lot of thought to the possibility of shooting a Bigfoot and I agree with many of the posts in that it would take skill, patience but mostly luck.

It's never easy to pull the trigger when you consider that you are about to end the life of another living being and I would imagine that it's much more difficult when that being is an animal that walks on two feet and resembles a man. Furthermore, you can't discount the "fear factor" in that a deer can't fight back if it's wounded but a Bigfoot is not a deer. Having hunted "dangerous" game in Alaska, I can tell you, from my experience, that you tend to give a lot of thought to the consequences of a poor shot and the ability to recover if an animal were to charge. You put all of this together and I think it would take a very unique person to shoot one of these animals. At the very least, a foolish one....

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand, I do agree that it will take more than just a video or a photo; regardless of the quality or the circumstances surrounding the images. I do believe that a good video or photo will open the door to more serious exploration by main stream science but even that would just escalate the demand for a specimen. I think that if Bigfoot does exist; it's inevitable that one will be killed in order to advance our knowledge of the species. If we have not had a decent viewing of this animal in over 30 years then I suspect that scientists will not be as patient as we have been. Of course, one may get hit by a truck tonight and we won't have to worry about it ;)

I agree 110%,

What's really odd is just last night I had this vivid dream where I was deer hunting with a couple of guys and we were on post on this road and another guy was making a drive and it was getting close to the end of the drive and the other guys started walking towards me and I was telling them to wait until the drive was over,then all of a sudden I see turkeys running down the hill and they turn and took of flying back up the hill and about 150yds behind them there was a bigfoot running really fast down the hill,It had long dark grey hair, the other guys ran down the road towards me and we watched it cross the road into this marshy swamp that we could see him very well,then he turned and was running towards us and as he was running through a part of swamp that had water and you could see the water splashing up and I was thinking wow, it's not slowing him down, one of the guys wanted to shoot it and I said no i'm just going to shoot next to him, to scare him, when I picked up the gun and saw him through the scope,he had a mean,menacing look on it's face and just as I was going to shoot next to him, I woke up.

when I woke I was thinking wow,that was a crazy dream, especially since there was so much detail to it.

I don't have many vivid dreams but its cool when you do have one.

PT, don't get me wrong here, I'm just trying to figure out where you are coming from. Seems pretty obvious to me and I imagine to others, what your opinion is as to what BF are and what they aren't. If my use of the word camp offended you, I apologize. If I got you wrong, feel absolutely free to enlighten me.

As for the close encounter with your 30-30 in hand, I was and am again trying to figure out the dealio. You made several statements making it clear your life was in danger, to include this one, and I quote "I AM CERTAIN that I would have had my head torn off had I fired at him with my puny 30-30 cartridge". Now to me, that statement leaves little doubt you felt your life was in danger. Then you go on to relate how aggressive the critter's approach was but nearly in the next breath also state "So yeah I was extremely scared. I never said my life was in danger though". Maybe not in those words, but you certainly left no doubt! So being, perhaps you can understand my confusion. I think maybe that one scared you something fierce (fully understandable)and you are having a tough time squaring that with the gentle quasi-humans you believe them to be.

I might reiterate my firm belief that at 20 feet, a 150-170 grain 30-30 through the eye would have settled it's hash for sure & for certain...

My lifetime of hunting & snooping the wild places lead me to believe animals are more attuned to their senses and surroundings than we, how much so and to which senses vary by species, but I have never seen first hand proof any have a "6th" sense or in any way have mental powers beyond humans. When someone starts talking how monkees have mental abilities beyond humans, which would obviously have put them higher on the evolutionary ladder long ago and us running around naked in the woods, I have a tough time buying it.

For my thin & dusty dime, it's a mighty tough sell that these things mind-screw humans, and a lot tougher sell to prove it. My suspicion is such experiences are far more likely caused by very human reactions to the stress of experiencing something that we have been taught should not be and that scares the beejeesus out of us. As far as I can see evidence points to them having roughly the level of sophistication & society of other great apes. Perhaps a bit "smarter" and/or more cunning, for lack of a better word, but certainly nothing super-human. It seems as they are built different they do certain acts other great apes don't, but again nothing I see points to super-human capabilities.

As for people, I can't state I've seen anything pointing to ESP, but I suppose anything is possible, albiet improbable. Even if it wre proven to be true scientifically, how that would transfer to animals is unclear to me.

As an aside, it seems to me that most accounts that suggest or state these things are anything but big apes come from the PNW, not further east/south. Just food for thought...

I think between the two of us, I may be the more pragmatic in regard to monkees. Don't take any of this as any sort of put down. I'm more thinking out loud here than anything else, trying to put your experiences & beliefs into context. I thoroughly enjoy hearing of others experiences in regard to monkees, even if I don't personally share exactly the same beliefs...

Good luck on that elk hunt, BTW. Hope you have a tag that allows you a bull and you get one bigger than you can fit in the house (I have one I barely could get in the door, the only place I could hang him was in the stairwell with the bear I mentioned earlier). Me, I have a buck tag this year and as usual,will take pretty much the entire season off. I had a 180+ 6 point chase a doe by me last year after I had filled my buck tag, and no one managed to bump him off. Don't know if I'll see him this year, but I'm sure going to try...

I think he was saying that if he shot him, the gun wouldn't have done the job and he would have extremely

pissed off injured animal at close range,

I have read stories of guys shooting grizzly bears with larger rounds than a 30-30 and the bear got them before the bear expired.and they supposedly bigger than a grizzly.

I watched a show where I think they were interviewing some people from alaska or BC and the one guy was a fisherman and stopped in a cove and seen this grizzly bear that he seen before and was a very big one, on the shore of the lake,and all of a sudden the bear stood up and started sniffing the air and turned around and high tailed it out of there,he said he never saw a bear take off like that, A couple minutes later he saw bigfoot come out on to the shore not far from where the grizzly was and was bigger than the grizzly. He took a polygraph and passed. It's a good video I forget the name, I'll try to find it.

AS for shooting in the eye, when your scared out of your mind, you'll be lucky to hit a barn never mind an animal that you never encountered before.And from what you say, you have been around the block hunting and probably witnessed a hunter with buck fever and miss a buck 30yds broadside.

Edited by zigoapex

If he was acting mad but not running at me I would stand still and s l o w l y quietly back a w a y while looking at it, then collapse when it's gone :blush::blink:

Do you guys think making eye contact with a BF would be considered an aggressive manner towards it?

I keep eye contact with angry dogs showing my authority or my dominance while softly speaking to it while slowly backing away. That behavior has kept me from being bitten a couple of times so it has worked for me so far..

I not worried if I run into an even hostile bigfoot, because soon as I saw him I would **** my pants so dam bad that I would frighten him and every animal with in a square mile ! :)

Edited by zigoapex

Is the question realy isn't to shot bigfoot or not but when will we kill bigfoot. Either we shot bigfoot to prove the existince of bigfoot or science will reconize that bigfoot is a realy living animal and require a holotype ( According to a precise set of rules laid down by the ICZN and the ICBN, the scientific name of every taxon is almost always based on one paticular specimen, or in some cases specimens.) So is it better to shot one to prove that they exist to start the conservation of bigfoot before we reach a critical point in the bottlenecking of the genes of the last remaning bigfoot.

Edited by Jeff Albertson

• 5 years later...

No.  I never would.  I not only consider it - personally now, I can't control what you do - unconscionable to kill something to satisfy my curiosity, I'm not a child anymore, and certainly not to satisfy anyone else's, but I don't think the world deserves to find out.  Not that way.

Edited by DWA

I wouldn't personally shoot one, not out of conscience or guilt....just bc I don't have confidence in a clean kill shot.  I target shoot and am pretty good but won't take the chance of one running off wounded.  That being said I'm all for someone doing so once if skilled enough just to get this thing on the books.  

Edited by Twist

My first job is to survive.   My second job is to keep a very short list of other people alive.   Unless required for one of those two, nope.   So far they haven't shown any tendency to overstep that boundary, not even when they've gotten a bit .. pushy.   You'd almost think they know where I've drawn the line ... a how question for the hmmmm bucket.

MIB

• Upvote 1

I can't even shoot a deer anymore unless I needed it to survive .:D

I use to hunt all the time in my younger years then just  lost the desire to kill anything now unless said thing is a threat to my life .

1 hour ago, Twist said:

I wouldn't personally shoot one, not out of conscience or guilt....just bc I don't have confidence in a clean kill shot.  I target shoot and am pretty good but won't take the chance of one running off wounded.  That being said I'm all for someone doing so once if skilled enough just to get this thing on the books.  

That wouldn't be my worry because I'm still a avid target shooter  in long distance shooting  .My collection and interest now involves  precision rifles .

Some semiauto  but mostly bolt action . You need to get out and shoot   :D

I actually do get out and shoot semi often.  Maybe 50-100 rounds a month.  No sharpshooter for sure though lol.  I don't shoot expensive guns or rounds.  I have a hi-point 9mm carbine and 410 break barrel.  So I barely have pea shooters but I shoot them often for fun, both just basic sights.

I have shot a variety of "nice" guns, but not to the point of pulling the trigger on a creature of BF status.  It may be wrong and criticized but I do have a loose hierarchy of animals/species I would or would not pull the trigger on in various scenarios.  My own life of course always being a green light to fire lol

Nothing wrong with that and it's more than some people own but if the occasion ever did arise I would say those calibers might not be enough where I would feel comfortable

taking a shot unless my life was threatened and there was no other way to respond .

But on the other hand people have taken down black bears with a 9mm in defense situations before.

I think that very few people can definitively say what they will or will not do in what would likely be a high stress situation simply because most people are rarely in high stress situations and fail to comprehend the scope of conflicting factors that are involved.  For example, I believe that Norse should be very willing to take the shot if it were presented to him based on what he's said here, but I'd bet that even he is willing to acknowledge that he can't be certain that he actually would take the shot.  (I'm not using myself as an example because there's more chance of me winning back-to-back NY Powerballs than me, my deer hunting rifle, and a Bigfoot ever intersecting.)   

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic