Missing 411

OhioSquatch

8 hours ago, trapper said:

i dont see how anyone can completely dismiss the reports of highly experienced hunters who claim they witness a bigfoot.   there is a bigfoot experiencer named steve on youtube who has literally spent more time in the woods hunting than indoors.    he is a hunting guide and that has been his life for many many years.  i consider that person to be an expert and cant dismiss his story or people like him.  

There is no way I would ever mistake a bear for a BF.

If I didn't believe in BF, there's no way that thought would even cross my mind.

If I saw a BF, I'd be going through every option other than BF during/after the sighting before I told someone I knew I saw a BF.

I do not believe many hunters would make the mistake of seeing a bear and claiming they saw BF. Part of the basics of being in the woods hunting game is identifying animals, even ones you aren't planning on shooting.

See movement? Nope, just a squirrel.

Blue jays start going crazy behind you? Get ready - there are deer coming.

Scratching in the leaves just over the hill? Probably a turkey.

Your senses are/should be tuned into all of these things. 

I just don't see it unless the person has a big imagination and a penchant for tall tales.

BFF Patron
17 hours ago, MIB said:

I have never encountered anything that falls outside of the known effects of infrasound other than possibly (this is interpretation, not strictly observation) incredible night vision.   I've heard about much else but I haven't experienced it personally so I can't vouch for it.

MIB

Could it be that incredible night vision is possibly enhnanced by infrasound too?   My one and only experience with infrasound,   in the 20 to 30 minutes after my encounter where I was zapped,     my digital recorder picked up single pings (pressure waves) every minute or so two during that time period.     I was moving away so perhaps just walked out of range.     Perhaps BF uses it as some sort of Sonar for prey ranging or obstical avoidance.    A bat uses sound for avoidance and perhaps BF can discern doppler effects of something moving relative to static infrasound reflection off the forest.    Witness reports of BF moving rapidly through nearly completely dark woods suggest some enhanced abilities.     If not that, perhaps they use infrasound as sort of a beacon to let other BF know there was some sort of activity in the area.    BF may have several uses for the ability to produce infrasound.   Certainly one use is inducing fear so you leave the area.   

Edited by SWWASAS

2 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

Could it be that incredible night vision is possibly enhnanced by infrasound too?   My one and only experience with infrasound,   in the 20 to 30 minutes after my encounter where I was zapped,     my digital recorder picked up single pings (pressure waves) every minute or so two during that time period.     I was moving away so perhaps just walked out of range.     Perhaps BF uses it as some sort of Sonar for prey ranging or obstical avoidance.    A bat uses sound for avoidance and perhaps BF can discern doppler effects of something moving relative to static infrasound reflection off the forest.    Witness reports of BF moving rapidly through nearly completely dark woods suggest some enhanced abilities.     If not that, perhaps they use infrasound as sort of a beacon to let other BF know there was some sort of activity in the area.    BF may have several uses for the ability to produce infrasound.   Certainly one use is inducing fear so you leave the area.   

I think echolocation would be ultrasound, not infrasound.   Most things which have enhanced senses on one end of the scale have reduced sensitivity on the other end so I'd be surprised if bigfoot could do both infrasound and ultrasound.   Taken a different way regarding vision rather than hearing, that's why some of us who suspect BF sees into infared use UV lights at night assuming / hoping that if they see the slower wavelengths they may well miss the very short ones.     The fact that the eyes and ears are that much larger than ours means that's not a certainty, they have space enough to optimize for both even though we don't.    It's something to work with even if it eventually proves wrong.

• 1 month later...
Admin

People still going missing:

https://www.strangeoutdoors.com/mysterious-stories-blog/sam-dubal

The guy seemed to be on top of things and well prepared for the hike. Obviously a very smart guy.

7 hours ago, NatFoot said:

Wonder if he was studying sasquatch like his fellow @Anthropologist?

To answer your question, NatFoot, the answer is no.   Here's his research interest per the link below:

“He was the kind of scholar and public intellectual we really need in the world right now,” said University of Washington anthropology and global health professor James Pfeiffer. “We felt extremely lucky that he had decided to come work with us and be part of our faculty.”

According to UCSF anthropology professor and adviser on Dubal’s dissertation committee Vincanne Adams, Dubal was a radical thinker interested in recontextualizing how medicine was done by paying attention to structural and social conditions as starting points.

According to his sister Dena Dubal, it was while practicing medicine as a physician in surgical residency that Sam Dubal realized the health of vulnerable populations was “rooted” in structural injustices.

During his time in the joint medical anthropology program, Dubal went on to do fieldwork in Uganda concerning the Lord’s Resistance Army, a militant Ugandan group infamous for war crimes. This work would later lead to him writing a book that critiques the concept of humanity.

At the start of this year, Dubal had taken on an anthropology assistant professor role at the University of Washington, where he taught a class on the anthropology of soccer, a great interest of his.

https://www.dailycal.org/2020/11/11/a-warm-heart-uc-berkeley-anthropology-researcher-sam-dubal-dies-at-33/

Very sad to lose someone that good - as a person and a researcher.

As for myself, I've spent most of my adult life working in the forests of North America as an archaeologist surveying for cultural resources, testing archaeological sites for National Register of Historic Places significance, and conducting excavations on significant archaeological sites in data recovery projects of sites that span the archaeological record of human existence on the continent.  During that time, I encountered all sorts of dangers and dangerous situations.  Yet, I never found the need to carry a weapon of any sorts, unless you consider a long handled shovel to be a weapon. 

The missing person in question was reported missing on a well known and well used trail.  My work required me to work where there were few roads and even fewer trails.  Everywhere I ran transects through the woods, I had to rely on only a topo map and a compass to guide me across the landscape.  No GPS.  No cell phones.  Just my knowledge, skills and experience in orienteering and my wits.  My routine was to go out on a project for 10 days and come back for 4 days rest.  That I did for almost 10 years straight.  Most of the time when I was surveying, I worked by myself.  At that time, my motto was "I'd rather be lost in the woods, than found in town."  Daniel Boone, when he was once asked if he was ever lost?  He angrily reply "Lost? Lost? I was never lost!!!  I was once disoriented for ten days, but I was never lost!"  Only my boss and my wife knew where I was, generally speaking.  Sometimes it was as general as 10,000 acres.  If you're familiar with Pink Floyd, the song that best describes that period in my life was from their album "Wish You Were Here" and is the refrain "Nobody knows where you are.  How near or how far."

I certainly know now about the stories of missing persons in the National Parks, National Forests and so forth that have been the subject of a number of books written by David Paulides.  I've read most of them.  One reported case occurred about 20 miles from my Bigfoot study area.  That said, I have no fear of the forest and no fear of the Forest People who inhabit our forests. 

Before David Paulides started researching missing persons and writing his 411 books, he wrote a book entitled "Tribal Bigfoot" in which he writes the following:

"NABS [North American Bigfoot Search] believes the study of bigfoot should e under the appellation "cryptoanthropology" (a term we first heard used by Dmitri Bayanov) and hope that long-time researchers will take a second look at all aspects of bigfoot and adopt this title for future research.  While NABS  has spent considerable time investigating all aspect of the bigfoot phenomenon, we admit that this is merely a well-researched hypothesis that deserves further inquiry .  We hope that this new research designation encourages more anthropologists to delve in the the bigfoot arena." 

NatFoot, I took that encouragement when I became aware of my own Bigfoot "Buddies" living alongside my camp.  I know enough about them then and now to not even consider them to be "crypto." but rather as real as monkeys, apes, and humans, just more elusive and reclusive than other primates.  By the way, before Dmitri Bayanov (mentioned in the quote above) passed away last year, we were exchanging emails. 

NatFoot, thank you for thinking of me when you heard the news of an anthropological colleague of mine going missing.  In casually reading about his work in Africa, I am honored to be mentioned in the same sentence. 

Please be safe and have a happy new year! 

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2020 at 3:37 PM, MIB said:

I think echolocation would be ultrasound, not infrasound.   Most things which have enhanced senses on one end of the scale have reduced sensitivity on the other end so I'd be surprised if bigfoot could do both infrasound and ultrasound.   Taken a different way regarding vision rather than hearing, that's why some of us who suspect BF sees into infared use UV lights at night assuming / hoping that if they see the slower wavelengths they may well miss the very short ones.     The fact that the eyes and ears are that much larger than ours means that's not a certainty, they have space enough to optimize for both even though we don't.    It's something to work with even if it eventually proves wrong.

MIB, I'm of the opinion that they use infrasound and ultrasound for a variety of reasons, among which include communication and echolocation.  I have discussed their use of "clicks" in many of my videos.  It is a worldwide phenomenon.  I've shown it to the case of the Australian Yowie whose "clicks" and infrasound led me to identify three Yowies in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh-4J5UKp_M

As for "clicks," humans use them as well.  Specifically, blind people:https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/10/echolocation-blind-people-reveals-brain-s-adaptive-powers#:~:text=Echolocation in blind people reveals the brain's adaptive powers,-By Kelly Servick&text=Now%2C a study of blind,neural repurposing never before documented.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/how-does-human-echolocation-work-180965063/

https://youtu.be/lAtVOK04XvA

I welcome you to check out more of research on this subject matter in my catalog of over 200 videos on my YouTube Channel "Bigfoot Anthropologist."  Here is an example of how I use these sounds to identify the presence of Sasquatch in other researcher's videos, if present:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhqW5czlY28

Admin

I wonder if BF was a "secondary" interest to Dubal?

1 hour ago, VAfooter said:

Good question.

He definitely hits the mark as far as Paulides' suggestion that people on either end of the spectrum are more likely to vanish mysteriously.  

Above average intelligence and education.  Obviously in good physical condition and an experienced hiker.  According to the article, he was well equipped.  

2 hours ago, VAfooter said:

Exactly. That's what I was alluding to with @Anthropologist. He can't share even his state for fear that it would compromise him in real life with his BF interest.

If this guy had interest, it wouldn't be able to be found on a quick Google search, most likely.

Personally, from what I read about his work that was posted - I have very little interest in his research and what he believed.

7 hours ago, Anthropologist said:

........I never found the need to carry a weapon of any sorts, unless you consider a long handled shovel to be a weapon.........

I do, and probably the best weapon around for venomous snakes, especially spades. But in the workplace I lived most of my life in, where the majority of predators walked on two legs despite behavior similar to venomous snakes, the digging instrument with which I did my best defensive work was definitely a pick handle. Having honed the skills to use them well as a youngster with my favorite 28" baseball bat, I found the right pick handle to have more reach and the proper setting in a blue collar military engineering shop. We didn't dig with teaspoons and 1" paint brushes. Every scoop we made moved a minimum of a quarter cubic yard.

6 minutes ago, Huntster said:

I do, and probably the best weapon around for venomous snakes, especially spades. But in the workplace I lived most of my life in, where the majority of predators walked on two legs despite behavior similar to venomous snakes, the digging instrument with which I did my best defensive work was definitely a pick handle. Having honed the skills to use them well as a youngster with my favorite 28" baseball bat, I found the right pick handle to have more reach and the proper setting in a blue collar military engineering shop. We didn't dig with teaspoons and 1" paint brushes. Every scoop we made moved a minimum of a quarter cubic yard.

Sharpen up the sides of an e-tool and you've got a pretty decent battle axe.