Expedition Bigfoot :Travel Channel

Big Stinky

1 minute ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Awesome post. Have a trophy. 

I will gladly take that trophy.  Thank you.

5 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Anything on TV is going to be crypto-tainment first, informative second.  

You need to have a flair for the dramatic to get people to tune in, otherwise there will never be any produced video content on Bigfoot outside of homemade YouTube videos.

I think that the producers/network (who are ultimately in charge of the entire thing) didn't expect the Bigfoot world to so quickly and thoroughly examine the show and figure out where they were.  Hopefully, they learn going forward that this community is pretty freaking obsessive and try to be a little more forthright in future projects.

Point #1, agreed.

#2 I'd scratch the otherwise and say "produced" is the problem. A long time ago, somebody here asked where the good content was and I replied Ytube and the woods. Still is and will be true, IMO. I have to be honest and say I watched all the Finding BF episodes and learned from them at the time.

#3 You are more charitable than I am, I don't associate forthrightness with tv productions and don't think they give a rip about any community.

#4 Normal is boring and overrated, yessir :thumbsup:

Edited by JKH

12 minutes ago, JKH said:

Point #1, agreed.

#2, I'd scratch the otherwise and say "produced" is the problem. A long time ago, somebody here asked where the good content was and I replied Ytube and the woods. Still is and will be true, IMO. I have to be honest and say I watched all the Finding BF episodes and learned from them at the time.

#3, You are more charitable than I am, I don't associate forthrightness with tv productions and don't think they give a rip about any community.

As far as people like you or I are concerned, small groups self producing honest and authentic content will always be superior to mass market crypto-tainment.  Unfortunately, there are not enough of us who are actually more concerned with the truth behind the phenomenon as opposed to the casual enthusiast.  Those are the people who buy the merchandise and are numerous enough to support network shows.  

I think that TV production companies are concerned with the community when it impacts their profitability.  Regardless of their personal feelings on the subject, when they are working they are there to make a profit for their employer.  Otherwise there will be no employer and no show. 

The Expedition Bigfoot show seemed (to me at least) like it wanted to become the more serious/less catchphrasey successor to Finding Bigfoot.  They wanted to capture a lot of FB's audience.  

It seemed at the beginning that they had that audience, but lost it when information about where they were filming began to come out.  A quick glance at their fan page on FB shows that audience turned on them.  If they want to make a show that lasts several seasons and sells that cat food for their advertiser, they will need to not alienate those viewers.  

The lack of transparency angered much of their audience.  Maybe it angered enough that the company would address it going forward.  Maybe not.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

On 12/9/2019 at 11:52 AM, SWWASAS said:

LIDAR feeds a rapid laser scan into digital processing computer software. If the scanner is moving,  mounted on an aircraft or drone,   what is blocked from view on one scan is seen on the next scan or next several scans.  The processing software then can remove vegetation and show the ground that would normally be mostly obscured. It is being used in archaeology to find ruins in the jungles of central and South America and in the deserts of Egypt.  A large area in Oregon and Washington have been LIDAR scanned.  The data files are available from the Geology Departments of both states.  An armchair explorer could download them and look for caves or lava tube openings that are unknown.  I have looked for evidence of unknown structures in both states.    

LiDAR is pretty sophisticated and expensive right now. To scan an area with billions of laser pulses from the air, you need a serious budget.  When it becomes available, it would be really cool to have an everyman version in the field, set it up on a drone to see what it can do.

On 1/25/2020 at 2:59 PM, BeansBaxter78 said:

I'm working on a book about Port Chatham, Alaska. Been in a couple Bigfoot documentaries and TV shows. Based on my experiences in the field, I know how frustrating it can be to get good evidence. I've found some great non-castable prints and gotten thermal footage of something that appeared large and bipedal....but with all that...I still can't say 100% that I know they are real.

That said...I try not to be critical of others work. If the size comparison is accurate, then the footage is pretty impressive. However, I know that TV shows can be edited can literally change the context of a person's conversation to suit the producer's needs. So....who knows? Bigfoot TV is a lot like TV wrestling. There is a serious..art/science behind it...but mostly it's just for fun and entertainment.

I would definitely be interested in reading your book.  I am also looking forward to Robert Alley's new BF book covering SE Alaska.

Edited by Arvedis