Is this a practical sidearm in case of an up close Bigfoot encounter?

langfordbc

6 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Do you reload?

Yep, but only for a few years now, so still pretty much a newbie.  I also cast my own bullets.  My dad is a sub-contractor for an ammo company that sells specialty cast lead bullets, and I occasionally work for him.  He does around 40,000 bullets a year, while I may do maybe 2000.

I really enjoy reloading and initially did it to save money and to tailor my loads for competition.  Now it's out of necessity since there is virtually no 9mm ammo available locally.  Just cranked out another 100 rounds the other night of premium 9mm self-defense ammo...

6xA5Cry1RqiELgBtcFlhCQ.jpg

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Are you using a single-stage press or do you have a progressive one such as a Dillon?

Since my original intention was for match loads, I do everything on a single-stage Lee press.  100 rounds takes me about 3 hours.  Which is forever.  But, I like it and find it relaxing.  I do it late at night and turn on George Noory and just listen and crank out ammo, albeit very slowly, lol.

BFF Patron

I was wondering if listening to George Noory makes you feel like you need ammo or if it is the other way around.    Lately listening to the news makes me feel the need to get more ammo. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Franco said:

Never have enough... As you can see by the News... Seriously... Get more

I live in a small town on the Idaho border with the nearest metropolitan area over 300 miles away, which would be Seattle.  Very little chance of civil unrest in my area.  But I do agree eventually all will be affected.  Currently, there is absolutely no 9mm ammo for at least 50 miles, and likely none beyond that.  Which is why when I went to the local sporting goods store, I bought components to make my own.  I already have plenty of brass, powder, and primers, and probably around 800 bullets, but I fear even the reloading components are going to dry up by November.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, PNWexplorer said:

.......Currently, there is absolutely no 9mm ammo for at least 50 miles, and likely none beyond that........

The ammo scares if the past 25 years (and there have been several) have had various lengths of duration. The wars in Asia caused scarcities of various calibers, notably military calibers, along with hording, especially 22LR. The lesson for me was: horde when they became available again. A stockpile of all calibers I use, along with reloading components for my hunting rifles, is to be used sparingly, and I will be prepared to replace ammo and components long before I run out........IF they are available.

..........I fear even the reloading components are going to dry up by November.

Most of the people panic buying ammo today are not reloaders and never will be, and most reloaders have been through this drill repeatedly, so reloading components will last longer than ammo, but I think your timeline is pretty close. This ammo scare is likely to be a looooooong one, if this is the beginning of a civil war or revolution. If not, things will likely level out again in a year or so.

• gigantor unfeatured this topic

Sure enough, my #1 hunting bullet (200 grain .308 Nosler Accubond) is already on backorder status at Midway. :growl:

I'll make a recon run tomorrow to see if I can scare up a couple boxes locally.

I maintain a stock of both ammo (reloaded or factory) for each of my weapons, and a stock of reloading components for those loads I build. I have enough to build another 100 rounds (which will last for years), and still have 50 bullets left, but it's time to restock.

I single stage load my hunting and long gun bear defense ammo, and of course, all load development work is individualized. I'm constantly trying different things with a few rifles in pursuit of perfection. That, along with checking zero, is the bulk of my long gun range shooting.

All handgun carry loads and military long gun ammo stocks (with the exception of sniper loads) are factory or government surplus loads. That is standard practice for both legal mitigation as well as dependability. Range practice with the handguns is with reloads created at the progressive RCBS press, unless I need more brass. Then I buy cheap loads, shoot them up, and reload the brass. Either hunting ammo or practice ammo, I tend to load up a stock that will last a while.

I'm catching up with load perfection for my long guns. One more load for each of five rifles will pretty much do it, and that wouldn't even have been necessary if California hadn't gone 100% lead fee ammo for hunting.:growl:

2C66136D-F821-4EB2-BC22-5694E4393BDD.jpeg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Huntster said:

Sure enough, my #1 hunting bullet (200 grain .308 Nosler Accubond) is already on backorder status at Midway. :growl:

I'll make a recon run tomorrow to see if I can scare up a couple boxes locally.

Cabelas shows them as available...

https://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/reloading/reloading-bullets/pc/104792580/c/104761080/sc/112555080/nosler-reg-accubond-bullets/733667.uts?slotId=0

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I’ve been able to find any ammo needed as long as I’m willing to check every couple days.   Sure at times something has been sold out that I want.   If I come back a day or two later it’s typically there.    

I haven't seen 9mm ammo here for months.  Only last week saw .40 S&W finally.  I still have plenty of components and can make whatever I want, but would like a few thousand more primers to be comfortable.  Those are long gone and it will probably be a few more months before they show up again.

Another interesting supply issue I've noticed:

In Alaska, you still can't find disinfecting wipes, but here in California, the shelves are full. So I bought a bunch, packed them in a USPS flat rate box, and shipped them to Mrs. Huntster.

It just goes to show how easily life can be disrupted.

BFF Patron

Another thing that I do not understand about the shortages is we can rarely buy rubbing alcohol for disenfectant.   Store shelves are empty.    At the same time driving is down all over the country freeing millions of gallons of alcohol that would normally be added to gasoline.    Why can't that high test alcohol be diverted to use as disinfectant?  

26 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

Another thing that I do not understand about the shortages is we can rarely buy rubbing alcohol for disenfectant.   Store shelves are empty.    At the same time driving is down all over the country freeing millions of gallons of alcohol that would normally be added to gasoline.    Why can't that high test alcohol be diverted to use as disinfectant?  

I'm in the heart of ethanol-producing country, and they've not put forth any alcohol for sanitizing. However, most the local consumer whiskey-type distilleries have provided hospitals and care-givers generous amounts of sanitary alcohol, for their use. Some have marketed same to the public.

Ammo is scarce near me too and 9mm is simply not available. A lot of people who are brand new to guns and are arming themselves with a handgun. 9mm is a good caliber for someone new and they need to practice. I think the run on 9mm is, in measure, due to that.

I'm considering getting a Ruger GP100 (revolver) in either .357 magnum or 10mm.  Already have the 10mm in a Glock but a revolver is a good woods gun for reliability.

Edited by wiiawiwb