Is this a practical sidearm in case of an up close Bigfoot encounter?

langfordbc

19 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Ammo is scarce near me too and 9mm is simply not available. A lot of people who are brand new to guns and are arming themselves with a handgun. 9mm is a good caliber for someone new and they need to practice. I think the run on 9mm is, in measure, due to that.

I'm considering getting a Ruger GP100 (revolver) in either .357 magnum or 10mm.  Already have the 10mm in a Glock but a revolver is a good woods gun for reliability.

I have the Ruger in .357. I really like it.

• Upvote 1

Another benefit of 10mm revolvers is the ability to safely shoot .40 S&W thru it.

I understand some will argue the ability to do so thru Glock 10mms, but I'm not here to ignore safe practices (in my best Jeff Cooper voice).

• Upvote 1

Admin
20 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Ammo is scarce near me too and 9mm is simply not available.

I got some online...

https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/288-9mm

1 hour ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Another benefit of 10mm revolvers is the ability to safely shoot .40 S&W thru it.

I understand some will argue the ability to do so thru Glock 10mms, but I'm not here to ignore safe practices (in my best Jeff Cooper voice).

You can do it safely through a stock Gen 4.  Gen 3 will need some modifications to be safe and reliable with .40 ammunition.  I use the stock spring with my Underwood hard cast and Xtreme Penetrator.  

I use the same mags for both .40 and 10mm with my Gen 4 20.  

9 hours ago, NatFoot said:

I have the Ruger in .357. I really like it.

Did you get the GP-100 or the Redhawk?  What barrel length did you choose?

When I was looking for a 454 Casull, the Alaskan, with a 2.5" barrel, was too grip heavy while the Super Redhawk with a 7.5" barrel was too nose heavy. I bought the Toklat 5" and the balance was perfect for me.

A buddy of mine owns a Smith and Wesson Airlite .357 revolver that has a scadmium frame and weighs next to nothing. I've never shot it before but I bet it would be a handful. Their M&P 340 CT weighs only 13.5oz. It must bark a little and bite a lot more.

1 hour ago, Kiwakwe said:

Wow, 29.99 for 50 rounds of 124gr FMJ!!?? Last batch of 9 I purchased was just before the C-19 nonsense, 9.99 for 50rnds of 115 fmj, granted it was Magtech but who the heck is ZQI?

Turkish ammunition.  

Not absolute bottom of the barrel, but not far off.

2 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

Wow, 29.99 for 50 rounds of 124gr FMJ!!?? Last batch of 9 I purchased was just before the C-19 nonsense, 9.99 for 50rnds of 115 fmj, granted it was Magtech but who the heck is ZQI?

Wow, indeed. The shortages have not hit us as bad here in Canada - yet - but prices are up on 556/223 it seems, more than other calibres. I just looked at the place I order bulk from online (free shipping over $200) and Blazer brass 9mm 115gn is still $280 CDN/1000 rds. About $210 USD at today's exchange rate. I imagine the demand in the US will lessen our supply soon enough.

Admin
2 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

Damn!

Yesterday they had Blazer and Federal 500 rounds for $349.

That's high demand all right

I laid in 1500 extra rounds of 9mm right before the panic hit full tilt.  Paid a little bit more than what I considered normal, but a lot less than what it is going for now.

Ammo prices probably won't stabilize before the end of the 1st quarter next year...and that's if we return to some semblance of normalcy by the end of the year.

Palmetto State Armory is in talks to buy Remington's ammo division.  Hopefully more supply on the market will help.  

Between new gun owners just now getting into shooting and people stockpiling for uncertain times ahead... this may be the new normal for awhile.

The outcome of the upcoming election will have a huge effect on prices of guns and ammunition.

For more clarity upon this, see my postings in the Tar Pit.

I was up in my gun room today and doing some searching for some .30-06 Ackley Improved ammo my dad gave me for my rifle (bonus points to anyone that knows what that is...) when I started cleaning up a mess of empty plastic sacks in the corner.

I soon discovered that one of the sacks was not empty, and was in fact full of ammo.  I had bought it in February when I started getting nervous about the virus.  Turned out to be prophetic since everything in the sack was impossible to find today when I stopped by my local gun shop.  I probably spent less than $100, but all that is now worth easily 3 times that much now.

IMG_20200928_171643128.jpg

5 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

For more clarity upon this, see my postings in the Tar Pit.

Some of us Great Unwashed do not have access to the Tar Pit...