Is this a practical sidearm in case of an up close Bigfoot encounter?

langfordbc

31 minutes ago, PNWexplorer said:

Some of us Great Unwashed do not have access to the Tar Pit...

It's not expensive, and there are some legendary threads happening right now.

8 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Turkish ammunition.  

Not absolute bottom of the barrel, but not far off.

Ah yes, "military cartridges built for American patriots"......by Turks.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

Ah yes, "military cartridges built for American patriots"......by Turks.

Lol.

Some of those Turkish shotguns were nice and the Canik pistols are ok for the money.

I haven't shot any of that Turkish ammo though.  Just going by what I hear.  

Greek surplus 30-06 ball was the last foreign lot I bought. It shoots great. NATO specs. It's not for hunting or bench competition, but for SHTF stock, it will shine like the North Star.

1 hour ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Lol.

Some of those Turkish shotguns were nice and the Canik pistols are ok for the money.

I haven't shot any of that Turkish ammo though.  Just going by what I hear.  

Oh yeah, nothing against Turkish manufacture, just the marketing schizzle. They probably intend Ed Abbey's definition of patriot, which is the one I subscribe to.

• Upvote 2

Admin
6 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

Some of us Great Unwashed do not have access to the Tar Pit...

It's only $20/year. We'd love to have you.

https://bigfootforums.com/pmp/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

......They probably intend Ed Abbey's definition of patriot, which is the one I subscribe to.

Read "The Monkey Wrench Gang" somewhere back in the mid to late 70's. The story spoke to me. People thought I was nuts back then.....some still do, I'm pleased to say. The basic tenet throughout his writings has been the chief inspiration driving my Bigfoot research and the books I endeavor to write. He's been one of the reasons that being able to express my thoughts through writing has been so personally rewarding. Edward Abbey motivates the proper respect for the wild, natural conservation in general, our planet and ultimately, ourselves.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hiflier said:

Read "The Monkey Wrench Gang" somewhere back in the mid to late 70's. The story spoke to me. People thought I was nuts back then.....some still do, I'm pleased to say. The basic tenet throughout his writings has been the chief inspiration driving my Bigfoot research and the books I endeavor to write. He's been one of the reasons that being able to express my thoughts through writing has been so personally rewarding. Edward Abbey motivates the proper respect for the wild, natural conservation in general, our planet and ultimately, ourselves.

Ed knows/knew what's up. Happened upon Desert Solitaire a few weeks before heading out on a solo trek through the Grand Canyon in my early 20s, seemed suiting. Gobbled up a good bit of his stuff, MWG/HL included.  That river in Brazil has a good, recent documentary on him too.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Without clicking onto the video, I can tell you that 1911 ain't gonna fire, no matter how hard he squeezes the trigger.

• Haha 1

^^^^ You noticed that, too?   So the first way "not to get eaten by a bear" starts with pulling the hammer back.    Second is probably to choose something bigger than a .45 ACP.   Better than a stick, mostly, but a long ways from ideal ... a long ways from adequate.

MIB

• Like 1

These is no way I would trust my life being near any bear, much less a brown bear, with a 10mm. I have one, a G40 MOS, but it does not have the firepower of a large-bore revolver.  I've heard the argument that you could empty a 10mm magazine and that would compensate when compared to a 6-round revolver.  Maybe, but if you get surprised, and can only get one or two shots off, I want them to be a 44 magnum or more.

Here is what a 10mm does to ballistic gel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Q6bEMJHpY

This is what a 454 Casull (I have a Ruger Toklat) does to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czsd-v5sm3s

The devastation the energy/shock waves of the 454 Casull does to the cardiovascular system is palpable.

Admin
3 hours ago, MIB said:

So the first way "not to get eaten by a bear" starts with pulling the hammer back. 

Or by running faster than your companion.:lol:

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Without clicking onto the video, I can tell you that 1911 ain't gonna fire, no matter how hard he squeezes the trigger.

High speed camera. The hammer just dropped and is about to explode the primer! 🧐

58 minutes ago, gigantor said:

Or by running faster than your companion.:lol:

No, no, you cap em in the knee!

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

These is no way I would trust my life being near any bear, much less a brown bear, with a 10mm. I have one, a G40 MOS, but it does not have the firepower of a large-bore revolver.  I've heard the argument that you could empty a 10mm magazine and that would compensate when compared to a 6-round revolver.  Maybe, but if you get surprised, and can only get one or two shots off, I want them to be a 44 magnum or more.

Here is what a 10mm does to ballistic gel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Q6bEMJHpY

This is what a 454 Casull (I have a Ruger Toklat) does to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czsd-v5sm3s

The devastation the energy/shock waves of the 454 Casull does to the cardiovascular system is palpable.

I think the idea is that hits are better than misses. So if you can hit under duress with a .454? Kudos. If you can’t? Yer gonna have to go get something smaller and more manageable.

Pistols don’t give me any warm and fuzzies. I would prefer a rifle in my hands in an encounter.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1