Sierra Shooting from A-Z

slabdog

SSR Team

Florida has 195 reported sightings listed on the BFRO.

& a fair few NOT in the BFRO database..;)

A couple things that gets me is if he was going to drum up a story, why didn't he just say he shot one instead of two, it would be so much easier to say "I shot one, I was tracking a bear and this monster charged out of the woods at me and I had to shoot it to protect myself. I herd other noises that sounded similar to the noises that the one I shot was making and I didn't want to stick around.I was pretty shaken up by the whole thing, so I waited a couple weeks to go back up there and that's when I found the sample."

If you were going to hoax or just make up a BS story, you would use the old rule, KISS (keep it simple stupid) so they would easily remember all the details and answer most of the possible questions with the story itself.

There probably is some details that had to be left out (I think Derek mentioned) for now because of the nda or book. There story is very complex leaving them with tuff questions to answer as to what happened. The driver more or less threw him under the bus, and He didn't make himself look like an eagle scout To say the least.

Usually when someone is untruthful, and there being questioned, they become hostile and defensive (Like Georgia's debut of Dumb and Dumber meet P.T. Barnum) they were telling people to go *&%^ *$%, changing there story,and were caught in lies by the end of the 1st week.

Justin or the driver never really became upset with anyone. Like they say, most times the truth is stranger than fiction. Hopefully, someday soon, it will be verified and the government will protect them,(fingers,toes,legs and privates crossed while typing this)being the last shooting to happen.

I'm just pointing out a couple things that don't fit the mold of a hoax or a tall tale, not trying to prove or disprove anything, so please don't kick me in the shins for my pointing wink.gif

Edited by zigoapex

A couple things that gets me is if he was going to drum up a story, why didn't he just say he shot one instead of two, it would be so much easier to say "I shot one, I was tracking a bear and this monster charged out of the woods at me and I had to shoot it to protect myself. I herd other noises that sounded similar to the noises that the one I shot was making and I didn't want to stick around.I was pretty shaken up by the whole thing, so I waited a couple weeks to go back up there and that's when I found the sample."

If you were going to hoax or just make up a BS story, you would use the old rule, KISS (keep it simple stupid) so they would easily remember all the details and answer most of the possible questions with the story itself.

There probably is some details that had to be left out (I think Derek mentioned) for now because of the nda or book. There story is very complex leaving them with tuff questions to answer as to what happened. The driver more or less threw him under the bus, and He didn't make himself look like an eagle scout To say the least.

Usually when someone is untruthful, and there being questioned, they become hostile and defensive (Like Georgia's debut of Dumb and Dumber meet P.T. Barnum) they were telling people to go *&%^ *$%, changing there story,and were caught in lies by the end of the 1st week.

Justin or the driver never really became upset with anyone. Like they say, most times the truth is stranger than fiction. Hopefully, someday soon, it will be verified and the government will protect them,(fingers,toes,legs and privates crossed while typing this)being the last shooting to happen.

I'm just pointing out a couple things that don't fit the mold of a hoax or a tall tale, not trying to prove or disprove anything, so please don't kick me in the shins for my pointing wink.gif

That was one of the things that hit me early on. Man, it would be so much easier to make up a more believable lie. And why would someone put themselves through all this fire storm of anger, threats of prosecution and all the other BS being said and written about him? I'll tell you why, he's an honest guy, and he is telling the truth. One other thought. He knows this study's just about over, and yet his story is still the same, knowing results are forthcoming. If he was making all this up he would have backed out of this story a long time ago and spared himself all the crap being slung at him? Truth can indeed be stranger than fiction, and in this case it is.

DR

Guest BuzzardEater

Suppose you are a large, western government that has quietly run out of money. Do you wish to allow a national panic? Do you want thousands of hysterical 911 calls every night reporting Bigfoot everywhere? Each reporting citizen will expect expensive responses. They will demand action through the media. It will expose the empty coffers very quickly and undermine confidence in the government. Is this good?

How to avoid it? You could discredit everybody. That always works. How to do it? Show the lead scientist a couple of agents dressed in Bigfoot costumes? That will wreck her creds, but what about her study? Perhaps you could sneak a bogus sample in? How? Misdirection, perhaps? Maybe everyone will focus on the cover story, if it is compelling. You could sneak a coyote steak in with reasonable deniability via a frightened hunter. Then when your accredited experts pronounce the sample canine, you can just say it was from the kill area, not claimed to be BF. Accepting the sample will further cripple the study because it further compromises Ketchum's credibility and the integrity of the samples. Done deal.

Why would the hunter do this? Well, whatever his agenda what is he risking? No bodies, no crime. What prosecution does he face? What is the penalty for pranking the BF community?

Since the real world runs on actual money,not nebulous promises, all you need to do is look for that element. Where are the real, actual dollars going to be spent?

That was one of the things that hit me early on. Man, it would be so much easier to make up a more believable lie. And why would someone put themselves through all this fire storm of anger, threats of prosecution and all the other BS being said and written about him? I'll tell you why, he's an honest guy, and he is telling the truth. One other thought. He knows this study's just about over, and yet his story is still the same, knowing results are forthcoming. If he was making all this up he would have backed out of this story a long time ago and spared himself all the crap being slung at him? Truth can indeed be stranger than fiction, and in this case it is.

DR

If you were to compare Justin's and Driver's event to leaving a burning building, with the norm being climbing down a fireman's ladder or jumping out to a safety net from the porch,

they would have crawled out a window, then onto the roof, and jump into the neighbors' pine tree, and bouncing off every limb all the way to the bottom.

Then be the 1st one to admit, he wished he went down the ladder.smile.gif

What part Pac ??

Basically the part where he spots one, and has the opportunity to fire on it. The young ones being left wandering aimlessly like Ewoks could be possible too. Who knows? I can't remember if this had been covered, but did Justin think that they were twins?

And as far as hunting with Justin goes...I'm not sure if what he did was unsafe, but all it takes is one minute of glancing through his Facebook pics to see that the dude is an extremely successful hunter. He has a ton of wall-hangers, and has shot quite a few 'monsters', as I would call them.

That's something to keep in mind. He was primarily a trophy hunter, not just some guy out to pack in some vennison. If you're a trophy hunter in this sort of situation, the "Is this fair game?" analysis comes into play.

Guest parnassus

Suppose you are a large, western government that has quietly run out of money. Do you wish to allow a national panic? Do you want thousands of hysterical 911 calls every night reporting Bigfoot everywhere? Each reporting citizen will expect expensive responses. They will demand action through the media. It will expose the empty coffers very quickly and undermine confidence in the government. Is this good?

How to avoid it? You could discredit everybody. That always works. How to do it? Show the lead scientist a couple of agents dressed in Bigfoot costumes? That will wreck her creds, but what about her study? Perhaps you could sneak a bogus sample in? How? Misdirection, perhaps? Maybe everyone will focus on the cover story, if it is compelling. You could sneak a coyote steak in with reasonable deniability via a frightened hunter. Then when your accredited experts pronounce the sample canine, you can just say it was from the kill area, not claimed to be BF. Accepting the sample will further cripple the study because it further compromises Ketchum's credibility and the integrity of the samples. Done deal.

Why would the hunter do this? Well, whatever his agenda what is he risking? No bodies, no crime. What prosecution does he face? What is the penalty for pranking the BF community?

Since the real world runs on actual money,not nebulous promises, all you need to do is look for that element. Where are the real, actual dollars going to be spent?

pardon me while I adjust my tinfoil sombrero.

Edited by parnassus

That's something to keep in mind. He was primarily a trophy hunter, not just some guy out to pack in some vennison. If you're a trophy hunter in this sort of situation, the "Is this fair game?" analysis comes into play.

Agreed, trophy aside, if it had been a bear that was taken it is highly likely that they would have proceeded according to regulations for proper tagging, collection and notification/presentation of/to F&G and ensured their was no meat spoilage, premolar collection etc. Unfortunate.

Edited by Tautriadelta

Puff the magic dragon lived by the sea...and while frolicking among us mere mortals said:

Still don't *get* the need to shoot the juvenile.

Susiq thinks:

I doubt that we will ever understand his *need* to kill the baby, much less the mother while being told by his spotter *not* to shoot. :( It's done, it's over with, I just hope from the bottom of my heart that laws will be passed to protect the species, and the upcoming verification may be the saving grace of the BF species. I hope. :blink: For a while it could go the *other* way.

Puff,

Yes, It has been several years.. :wub: and I felt then as I do today.

Edited by See-Te-Cah NC
To remove double post

Who cares what his "spotter" was saying. This isn't something he is being court martialed for. These aren't Marine snipers. Hunters have disagreements on when to fire all the time. Whether you've stopped a coyote well enough when calling him in, or waiting for a deer to present a broadside shot, these things sometimes get blurry in the heat of the moment for some people. Justin had a look on 16X at 80 freakin yards!! Do you know how close that is?? In his scope there basically had to be nothing but hair. So he may have determined it was indeed a "monster", (being that Sasquatch just didn't compute)and it was definitely not a person in a costume. So he fired. It's up to him. That is the kill/no kill debate in real time. He had every right to his opinion that caused him to squeeze the trigger as the driver who was saying not to.

As far as the believability of the story, what's every bit as telling to me is that Derek and the Olympic Project are still all in. Mr. Randles has some info on the results of the DNA, and they are still standing by their guy. There has not been any effort to distance themselves from Justin, or any feeling that his submitted sample is jeopardizing this very expensive study. Take that for what it's worth.