Sierra Shooting from A-Z

slabdog

BFF Patron

Hey, bring history on, I'm already out standing in my field, I just don't have the field picture of the BF or the trophy mount or .......

might as well have fun with it...... (really sincerely hoping it's in the bag and isn't released on April 1 secretly though) blush.gif

Guest parnassus

It's interesting to see the range of responses engendered by this story. We've gone from moral outrage to slapstick over the course of a few days. I have reasons to be cautiously optimistic but it's hard for me to ground this tale in reality until I see proof. Until that day, I imagine I'll occasionally post something I'll eventually regret. You don't have to scroll up too far to see an example.

If the central premise of this incredible story actually pans out (and even if it doesn't to everyone's satisfaction), this thread could become be a historical document. So...spit out that gum, comb your hair and sit up straight.

yes, history.

Edited by parnassus

If the central premise of this incredible story actually pans out (and even if it doesn't to everyone's satisfaction), this thread could become be a historical document. So...spit out that gum, comb your hair and sit up straight.

Even if the entire story turns out to be a hoax, this thread could be a historical document, too. A hoax that's been over a year in the making. A hoax where no one has made any real attempts to make any financial gain. A hoax that has slowly and steadily reached a wider audience through nothing more than viral attrition. No one involved has gone running into the spotlight or stepped up to the mainstream microphone. It's unlike any hoax to date because there's been no payoff except for a building stream of anger and cynicism aimed at General and the OP. In effect, it's the world's worst hoax, yet it's filled up 74 pages on this thread to date with Skeptics, enthusiasts, and believers all chiming in. I suppose this could all be some weird sociological experiment by our alien overlords in attempt to find our cryptozoological tipping point - at what point does an unseen mythological creature become an unseen real creature, blah, blah, blah, or it's possible that Animal Planet is behind all this to generate wider interest in Bigfoot for ratings.

Or you could just apply Occam's razor here and simply say it's true.

I don't know if all the details are true but I can't imagine telling this version of the story as a lie. I can kind of see how it happened the way it did. I don't know about anyone else, but xenophobia is a real psychological state, I'm sure it played a part in all of this.

I agree that the story is true. It's happened, it's over with, and personally, I'm done with it.

Whether intentional or not, the leaked story has "conditioned" those reading/listening to accept (or at least spin the real time emotional resposes down for the future?) any range of realities, without perhaps the strength of initial responses. So much for the BF community being done with the story. If true and the DNA study ever surfaces for the mainstream, well it is something I will probably hang around to watch. But, I do agree that little more than one or two individuals stories have fueled this speculation long enough.

Edited by apehuman

I don't know if all the details are true but I can't imagine telling this version of the story as a lie. I can kind of see how it happened the way it did. I don't know about anyone else, but xenophobia is a real psychological state, I'm sure it played a part in all of this.

The thing that gets me is that it would be a really really stupid lie to make up. I could come up with something much better than that without really even trying. If you were going to make up a lie would you say that someone else was telling you not to shoot because it was a guy in a suit? :blink:

BFF Patron

Trophy trigger itch was probably most responsible........how it (the trophy(s)) failed to materialize is the substance for the book and hopefully a dna sequence and hair analysis which is confirmatory of many other samples.

SSR Team

I saw on another site that they won't even let a thread open about it on there forum.

That's the sort of thing that happens in North Korea..;)

Guest Dr. Boogie

Even if the entire story turns out to be a hoax, this thread could be a historical document, too. A hoax that's been over a year in the making. A hoax where no one has made any real attempts to make any financial gain. A hoax that has slowly and steadily reached a wider audience through nothing more than viral attrition. No one involved has gone running into the spotlight or stepped up to the mainstream microphone. It's unlike any hoax to date because there's been no payoff except for a building stream of anger and cynicism aimed at General and the OP. In effect, it's the world's worst hoax, yet it's filled up 74 pages on this thread to date with Skeptics, enthusiasts, and believers all chiming in. I suppose this could all be some weird sociological experiment by our alien overlords in attempt to find our cryptozoological tipping point - at what point does an unseen mythological creature become an unseen real creature, blah, blah, blah, or it's possible that Animal Planet is behind all this to generate wider interest in Bigfoot for ratings.

Or you could just apply Occam's razor here and simply say it's true.

It depends on how you frame it, if you look at it in a historical light, i.e. has anything like this been proved to happen before, then surely Occam's razor would conclude it's a simpler explanation that it didn't happen?

It depends on how you frame it, if you look at it in a historical light, i.e. has anything like this been proved to happen before, then surely Occam's razor would conclude it's a simpler explanation that it didn't happen?

Occam's razor is subject to the answer being within the knowledge base of the "logician". If the simplest answer isn't part of that person's knowledge base, then the razor "dulls". Sorry couldn't resist. I do think, though, that religious adherence to this problem solving technique produces the most stubborn of "anti-possibilitists". (<- I'm tired of the work "Skeptic".) I'd HATE to live in a world where the possible was limited to others' findings. It'd be so drab.

Tim B.

Trophy trigger itch was probably most responsible........how it (the trophy(s)) failed to materialize is the substance for the book and hopefully a dna sequence and hair analysis which is confirmatory of many other samples.

If you consider the most basic human response to unknown stimuli to be "fight or flight", then I'm imagining that Justin made a quick change from "fight" (gonna shoot it) to "flight" (What kind of monster is that?) mid-trigger pull or perhaps immediately after. Either way, that would explain going from "F*** it, I'm gonna shoot it" to "Let's get the H*** out of here." I'm assuming it was the subtle humanity of the target after that shot that brought the flight full on. Those basic reactions are hard to explain or control.

Tim B.

BFF Patron

Yep, I said trophy trigger itch was MOST responsible imho.......

Guest Dr. Boogie

Occam's razor is subject to the answer being within the knowledge base of the "logician". If the simplest answer isn't part of that person's knowledge base, then the razor "dulls". Sorry couldn't resist. I do think, though, that religious adherence to this problem solving technique produces the most stubborn of "anti-possibilitists". (<- I'm tired of the work "Skeptic".) I'd HATE to live in a world where the possible was limited to others' findings. It'd be so drab.

Tim B.

I hear you, yes, I'd hate to live in that world too, I just don't believe that this story being true is the simplest explanation, my point is more to do with that than whether it actually is true or not.

I do see though that if everybody accepted my rationale and concluded via OR that the story probably isn't true there'd be a whole lot less to discuss and it's obvious that many either believe the story or choose to accept it in a hypothetical way for the sake of discussion.