Sierra Shooting from A-Z

slabdog

Regarding the hand/arm waving.

Now, I've no evidence or proof of what I'm about to say, however, I have it from a decent character witness. I won't mention any names, but wanted to shed some light on what I feel may have been happening.

Years ago (10+) when bigfootery was still getting it's foothold in the post 2000 mainstream, some very high players in the field woud entertain face-to-faces with amateur researchers to (mostly) glean info, as well as share a few tidbits.

Well, it was one of these conversations I am referencing.

APPARENTLY, there is a hand gesture that BF makes as a type of threat assessment type greeting. From my understanding, this is done with only 1 hand/arm, not both. I'm curious if this was perhaps mistaken for 'arms waving' in the seconds leading up to the alleged shooting. Would make sense to me since the BF was supposedly approaching the shooter.

Does anyone know if Justin has said if the BF was making any sort of noise when doing the arm waving?

I could be wrong, but I think I remember him saying that it wasn't making any sounds that he could hear.

As far as the squatch approaching the shooter, that is one of the parts of his story that i have the most trouble believing. Smeja said he placed the bullet about 2" down from the nipple and 3" toward the back. As a hunter, I know that is a shot you take for the highest percentage to not miss and when the animal is standing broadside to the shooter. The broadside shot gives you a better chance at more vital area and increases the kill zone, giving you the opportunity to pierce both lungs. If it was approaching him, the best kill shot would have been some sort of frontal shot. He said it was "quartering toward" him. In that situation, I still beleive the best shot would be some sort of frontal target area.

After all the information I've found so far (this could change with more information) my opinion is this-

The hunters drove up on the sasses in a spot where there was a bend in the road around a ridge. All parties were caught by suprise because the sasses didn't hear the truck coming because the sound was blocked by the ridge. The squatches got "caught with their pants down" in the road when the truck came around the bend. The ground was probably too steep and/or rocky on both sides of the road for the big squatch to make a hasty retreat or the little ones were maybe too confused to make a decision on which way to run. The "waving" may have been just a reaction to the stress of the whole situation or possibly an attempt to get the little ones moving in a certain direction. It's concern for the littlefeet probably kept the adult around longer than it normally would have if it were alone. All giving enough time to make a well placed broadside shot.

Guest BFSleuth

The "waving" may have been just a reaction to the stress of the whole situation or possibly an attempt to get the little ones moving in a certain direction. It's concern for the littlefeet probably kept the adult around longer than it normally would have if it were alone. All giving enough time to make a well placed broadside shot.

I ran across this sighting report that mentioned a BF that is known in the Kentucky area as "Howdy" because it waves, with one hand, almost like a greeting.

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=33187

Then in this sighting report a BF is seen waving both arms up and down facing a huge surf on the Oregon coast. The only thing I can think of it was waving in excitement at the power of the waves:

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=11147

In the shooting situation, you are probably right that there was a lot of stress and I'm sure the adult was concerned for the safety of the kids. It may have been waving to divert attention away from the young ones, I don't think he saw them until after the big one was shot.

Sleuth,

Your first link reminds me of another report I read from the BFRO database where a woman on a horse claimed a bigfoot waved one hand as it turned away to leave the area. I wish there was a keyword search for their database.

Guest BFSleuth

The only way to search the BFRO database is to use google search with "BFRO" in the search term.

In the shooting situation anything but running away immediately would just put them in further danger of a conflict. The waving behavior Smeja reported is fascinating to me. Not that I think it was waving at the humans, but why it was waving it's arms at all. Maybe I'm wrong about that part of the story. Maybe Smeja and his friend were being threatened by the big one. The arm waving is found in aggressive chimp behavior. "When angry, chimpanzees may stand upright, swagger, wave their arms, throw branches or rocks" http://www.janegoodallug.org/chimps.html (scroll down below the Call chart) What better reason to put a squatch into a protective rage than have it's young ones close by in a suprise encounter with humans? But why not just run away if they were in a meadow?

Guest BFSleuth

Personally, I think a wave back, mimicking what they are doing would be beneficial.

... unless they happen to be snapping 6" diameter trees... it would be very difficult to mimic that... :)

Latest and greatest (?) from our old friend RL........

May only be reprinted with the watermark and with this text at the bottom of the photo. “A drawing of the male Bigfoot killed at the Sierra Kills from an upcoming book by Justin Smeja about the incident which contains many more great photos and drawings like this.â€

post-176-0-25811500-1336223527.jpg

Edited by BeachFoot

Admin

I can't imagine a legitimate scenario where, in this day and age, we are using sketches instead of good-clear-photos to identify an alleged animal kill.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Hmmm...... that one looks like one of the mummy corpse shots that makes the rounds....... and used to be some peoples avatar around here. Guess I'm suddenly feeling all Enochy for a few seconds here.

Edited by bipedalist

Guest OntarioSquatch

Looks a lot like patty. The DNA report should be able to confirm all this happened right?

Guest Jodie

Haven't seen the avatar referenced but if it that is accurate, I can see why people say they look human. That looks nothing like a gorilla in the face. It looks like an African American with hirsuiism and what we we call "butterbean" head in the NICU.

Premature babies get that pointy head look from being rotated from side to side causing the sutures to fuse that way after a few weeks. You can tell by looking at a young adult whether they were born prematurely or not by the shape of their head a lot of times.