Sierra Shooting from A-Z

slabdog

Guest Thepattywagon

I just watched the interview and here are the things that caught my attention:

Justin says, "we must have seen like 40 of these piles." (scat in the road). If he indeed said FORTY and not 'four', that's a voluminous amount of poop, considering the size of the piles he described.

He says he had a "foot on the ground and the rifle out the window". I didn't know he used the truck door as a gun rest.

He talks quite a bit about "looking around for film crews", which is something I don't remember ever reading.

After he shot the "monster", his buddy "didn't even grab his gun" when they went to find the big one he shot.

He says they basically dismissed the two young ones that were scampering around within scant yards of them, as they looked for the big one.

He admits that at some point he decided to shoot one of the little ones to take home. I had always thought he only took one out because it was getting too close.

I am glad he sat down for this interview. I wonder how long it'll take before the Bud Light folks make them an offer to do ads, like Dahinden did for Kokonee beer.

Guest poignant

What I found incongruous was that the young ones were so close and his buddy was objecting verbally but they were not noticed by the young ones.

Guest BFSleuth

A very powerful interview, more people should bring beer to interviews.

I should have put that on my list of first impressions.... what a brilliant way to help him "open up" a little bit!

Justin says, "we must have seen like 40 of these piles." (scat in the road). If he indeed said FORTY and not 'four', that's a voluminous amount of poop, considering the size of the piles he described.

I'll have to pay attention during my second viewing. If he said 40, that might indicate a larger population in the area.

SSR Team

Ok, seeing as JS said what the location actually was, can someone confirm to me where it actually is so i can have a little look on Google Earth please ?

Is it North West of Lake Tahoe ?

PM's would be cool too.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by BobbyO

He really blew off the point about whether he was poaching at the time. He seems to think it was a non-event, in which I totally disagree. I"m not a hunter, so I'm not part of the culture, but I do know this guy is very dangerous. He has absolutely no regard for anything living, saying he would shoot and kill things that don't "belong" in the area.

The vast majority of hunters I do know follow the laws which means if they are out duck hunting and see a deer and it isn't in season, they don't shoot it. They respect the season, respect the laws and aren't out randomly killings things that don't "belong". This guy has the mentality that he can kill anything if it fits in his narrow objective. Whether he was poaching is very relevant to the type of person and the actions he took on that day.

The premeditated act of killing the juvenile should be reviewed by the proper authorities. He was not in any danger and had to defend himself, so his actions should have consequences. This was very difficult for me to watch

• Upvote 1

Don't forget Bugs or the Georgia boys. People will go to incredible lengths and use incredible details in stories for attention or just personal amuzement. I'm not saying JS is, I'm just pointing out only two precedents.

I just can't figure for the life of me how anyone thinking it "looked like a man in a suit", then seconds later thinking "monster" and then shooting. If true, it was bipedal. The first, second and third impulse of almost anyone would be not to shoot based on that alone.

*scratches head*

He didn't say he WAS poaching, he was just saying that he didn't understand why the point kept being brought up, as it does not make his sasquatch story any more or less true. It's inconsequential to the main point here, which is that he shot and killed two sasquatch.

As far as being callous, sorry but there are many, many, many hunters who have the same exact temperament. I do not hunt myself, but I've been around people like that and it just has to do with the way they are brought up. It doesn't make him "dangerous". Many of us find the act of hunting to be barbaric, but many of us who feel that way think nothing of going to the supermarket and buying prepackaged portions of meat. It removes the messiness of being a carnivore from our lives. The act of killing any animal for any reason can be seen as barbaric, but one person's opinion is not any more "right" than another's.

As far as the juveniles are concerned, yeah that seems even more barbaric, but then again he did mention that this event had changed him, but he was trying to get us into his mindset AT THAT TIME. So much of the callousness he showed was representative of how he viewed these animals back then, not necessarily now.

I don't see him killing to 'remove animals that shouldn't be there' as all that strange.

Where I'm from, there's an eradication effort to remove wild pigs.

Coyotes, raccoons, woodchucks - if found in the wrong places will be removed like the varmints they are (anyone here ever use a mousetrap?) Same thought process, only with larger animals.

I think those that haven't experienced hunting and how it relates to varmint control may have a difficult time understanding that viewpoint. Of course, using that defense in shooting a couple BF's...well......I have a difficult time understanding that.

Guest Thepattywagon

My biggest question is why 'Driver' didn't grab his rifle when the left the truck to find the 'monster' he shot.

Brave guy, no doubt, since he and Justin split up more than once in their search, while the two young monsters were running around so close to them. Considering the babies in the proximity, I would think he would be worried about another large one being around.

Justin's quote about the little ones was, "We're not even paying two s**ts about them".

Interesting, considering they had no clue as to what these creatures were.

I would just like to repeat what I said here months ago. I would not want to be the shooter. First, how can he sleep at night? Second, I'd be praying that the relatives of the hairy people don't have great memories. Third, I will not be buying his bloody book.