Sierra Shooting from A-Z

slabdog

Honesty doesn't necessarily make everything ok.

Just because someone is/was honest, doesn't mean that what they did was fine.

[\

No it was not fine, do not agree with it at all, but point being that it happened, Justin would never do it again, if this can prove BF and start protection, at least some good will come out of a bad decision. I rather here the hard cold truth, here than the politically correct version.

Edited by zigoapex

Arizonabigfoot - what knowledge of Bigfoot did you have at the time of your sighting via rifle scope? I am wondering if this factored into you not shooting it.

General - many will judge you one way or another, but not me as I wasn't there at that time in your shoes. I think if I was hunting and sighted in the dogman of the north woods or something I don't know as a real in my mind, I might shoot it out of confusion/fight or flight response. There are many folks who report seeing these creatures while hunting and many stop hunting altogether because of fear or post traumatic stress. Folks forget that there still are so many hunters out there who don't believe in Bigfoot and these hunters may face a choice similar to the Generals and Arizonabigfoots. I agree we need bigfoot protection and public awareness.

Back when this happened the entire "Bigfoot World" was basically non-existent in my mind. I had no idea there were research organizations and I would say I had an entry level type of knowledge of bigfoot. I had remembered seeing the Patterson film, but at that time I couldn't have told you that it was called the Patterson film. I had always been fascinated with bigfoot, but I think I had kinda just lumped it together with The Loch Ness Monster and UFOs and things like that. I clearly remember a couple of thoughts going through my head when this was happening to me on that elk hunt. The first thing was this overwhelming feeling of just being smacked with their reality when I totally was unprepared for it. It was like buck fever times a thousand. I guess like seeing an 8X8 Elk or the most majestic animal you could ever see, then multiply that by a thousand again. I think just by it walking on 2 feet I got this feeling that I was pointing a gun at a person. I didn't have that vision of being rich or anything, I was too freaked to think about that. The only thing I know I clearly remember is thinking, "I don't need this fight." I had vaguely remembered that some places had passed laws saying it was murder if you killed one, even if that was only is Washington or whatever, but I just had the feeling that if I did that, with my luck I'm gonna get brought up on an M1 charge.

Heck, even as a field researcher I can't find any benefit in discussing the work I do in the field with the larger community. There is little advice and discussion but lots of opportunity to drag one through the mud. Just my 2 cents - and I find that incredibly sad.

I second this opinion, it is the main reason no one takes the field seriously. I think the disagreement between the two for whatever reason was best kept private and did nothing to make the community "look good".

The only reputation one should be concerned about is whether the scientific community seriously regards your evidence, not whether another researcher thinks it's worth anything.

Guest BFSleuth

ABF, thanks for your account. Perhaps based on your experience you can answer the question of how a hunter education program might be able to have changed your experience? By HEP I'm thinking more in terms of perhaps a simple brochure or web page when you get your hunting license to let you know that first of all they exist, and second of all some basic parameters of how to behave when they are around. My thought is that the great majority of hunters are likely still in an unprepared mental state, as you were. Perhaps with a minimum of education about the topic you might have experienced the opportunity for your sighting differently, and in the case of hunters that might feel the "need to squeeze" the trigger it might give them a reason to hold back in the future.

I think that will be the most important thing that has to be done as soon as their existence is acknowledged. Listing it in the Hunting Regs, on the Game and Fish websites, and providing some info about them in hunter education courses will absolutely be the best thing we can do to prepare hunters for what they might encounter out there. It's going to be very interesting to see how the AZGFD handles the 180 they are going to have to do when proof of their existence is ultimately released. And for some of that proof to be, "hey guess what Larry Jenkins found, and guess where he found it?", is going to be awesome because up until this point they have been awfully dismissive of any attempted report to their office.

By the way, that toenail found near Seligman is almost exactly where I was elk hunting. I think I saw him before the lost toenail so no use checking his feet. Lol

Guest Thepattywagon

I dont see how anyone can "misrepresent" the piles of "poo".......all you have to do is watch the video.....he said about 40!!! Personally...I don't give a "poo" about the "poo"...,,,,and find it irrelevant....except for the fact that it seems an awful high #....but I wasn't there....Im pretty sure he was just saying it was ALOT!! There's much deeper issues!!

Maybe he shot Poo Bear and not a Bigfoot.

I don't see what the piles of poo have to do with the story, its been talked about here as though its evidence to support the STORY.

Any legitimate researcher will testify that the BF will not leave there deposits out in the open, but rather cover them, I do beleive they are bear scats, nothing more

If BF scats were that easy to come by, we wouldn't have this forum

Edited by yowiie

I know that those familiar with the wild know this but many may not. You would never find 40 piles of scat of any animal in any location. Especially on a road. Even bears who leave lots of sign like this when they are in an area feeding couldn't or wouldn't do it. The relevance (sp?) is in the number...40. It leads us to that often heard word in the world of big foot.............nonsense!

Edited by BFSleuth
......implied profanity removed & response to deleted post

Hey General I have a question for you.

So with all that has happened (obviously I don't need to go into all of it because it happened to you), would you consider yourself lucky?

I know you wish some of the things maybe went down differently, but when you take the thing as a whole, are you glad you somehow were chosen for this? You know, of all the millions of hunters who've come up on a meadow, those things happened to be on your meadow, at your time. There is some type of notoriety and I guess fame, and possibly some future earnings that has come from this. How do you look at it?

I know that those familiar with the wild know this but many may not. You would never find 40 piles of scat of any animal in any location. Especially on a road. Even bears who leave lots of sign like this when they are in an area feeding couldn't or wouldn't do it. The relevance (sp?) is in the number...40. It leads us to that often heard word in the world of big foot.............nonsense!

Well it depends on the animal. I've hunted elk followed herds and have come up on this many piles. And I don't think he said they were all in one spot. He said throughout the day. Maybe he drove up on a heavily used squatch latrine. I guess if you think this seals the deal for you that the story is made up, I'd submit that you're probably looking for every reason to dismiss it anyway. I'm still of the opinion that if he submitted samples, those samples will go a long way in showing what happened out there. I can wait for those results to be released before completely calling BS.

I don't see what the piles of poo have to do with the story, its been talked about here as though its evidence to support the STORY.

Any legitimate researcher will testify that the BF will not leave there deposits out in the open, but rather cover them, I do beleive they are bear scats, nothing more

Well the only thing I can add to the poo is I've done my business in the woods (I like a good downed tree to sit on) and I haven't bothered covering it up. I don't know why a squatch would. Edited by squating squatch

How do you know a sasquatch buries it's scat? Seriously now......

Anyway, Derek and Justin you have my sympathy. I hope you work things out, but I think it would be better not to do it in public the next time you have an argument. If you want your group to look professional, you have to act professional.

Edited by MikeG
......personal comments removed

CTfoot,

if I would have done this in private, tons of folks would have ran at me accusing me of trying to hide things, just like they accuse me of all kinds of other things. You can't win here no matter what you do. I did what made sense to me at the time, and I'd do it again tomorrow if I needed to. If my standing in the Bigfoot community has dropped down, well then so be it. This is not a popularity contest. Giving the info here on the forum was the fastest way to let it be known. Any other way would have started whispering and gossip and on and on. You would understand further if you were in my shoes. I did the best I could with this event. Any of you think you are better suited for the job, then by all means, go for it. It's like trying to keep a Tiger in a paper fence.

DR

Well the only thing I can add to the poo is I've done my business in the woods (I like a good downed tree to sit on) and I haven't bothered covering it up. I don't know why a squatch would.

Why would they leave evidence like a scat, that could divulge there location

Actually, I've had them leave piles across roads and trails as a deterrent. Sort of a "No trespassing" sign.

Not sure what to make of the sheer number here, though.

CTfoot,

if I would have done this in private, tons of folks would have ran at me accusing me of trying to hide things, just like they accuse me of all kinds of other things. You can't win here no matter what you do. I did what made sense to me at the time, and I'd do it again tomorrow if I needed to. If my standing in the Bigfoot community has dropped down, well then so be it. This is not a popularity contest. Giving the info here on the forum was the fastest way to let it be known. Any other way would have started whispering and gossip and on and on. You would understand further if you were in my shoes. I did the best I could with this event. Any of you think you are better suited for the job, then by all means, go for it. It's like trying to keep a Tiger in a paper fence.

DR

I will say again that I do understand your anger but no one is supposed to know the results of the study. I assume you must have gotten more information than you had a year ago to change how you feel about the incident, so in essence, you've let us know what results to expect.

If the results are what I am deducing by your reaction, not just other researchers will be reading your words here, but journalists from national media groups. You need to consider every word that you write now in that perspective instead of worrying about what your fellow researchers think of you or your orgainization.