Sierra Shooting from A-Z

slabdog

I don't agree many times with Cervelo, but in this case, 100 percent. To me, there is a huge difference in hunting and shooting. JS is a shooter and probably a very good one. I will not go into it more than that.

To get a specimen, this is exactly the scenario it would take, IMO. Besides the obvious of finding one dead, to kill what has been described to me would take a person very much like JS. As a hunter, I would and could never take those shots unless I felt I or someone else was in immediate danger. This is one of the reasons that if they do exist as described, no specimen has been killed AND been brought in for study. None of this should surprise anyone who has had a sincere interest in bf. The only thing that would really surprise me after seeing this interview is if he really did not recover a mostly complete body.

I have met many hunters and a few shooters and there is a big difference in mostly morals but also in woodsman skills. Derek and Cervelo are the types of hunters I would be proud to be in the woods with as they probably never have to look over their shoulder for the law. As far as JS, he is the type that could and maybe did bring in a type specimen for many of us, for good or bad.

I am basing this on one interview and a few comments from him. It may not be fair to JS to form an opinion based only on this. UPs

I find it amusing that by this one event you think you can judge just what type of outdoorsman Justin is, and how much better you are than him. You're a hunter and he's a shooter. Meanwhile, up until Derek got mad because Justin gave an interview against this wishes, Derek has gone on and on about what a valuable asset Justin is because he is an experienced hunter, extremely knowledgeable guide, skilled in tracking, guiding and game cam setup. I think Derek knows him more than you. Derek feels he is AN EXPERT HUNTER and most importantly he feels he is genuinely remorseful.

By the way, I stared at one in my scope for well over a minute and at a distance that I feel I could have taken him. But I didn't pull the trigger. Maybe I had more time to think. It doesn't make me any better than Justin. If something popped up on a hill and gave you the feeling it was like Jason Vorhees or Leatherface or something, the whole "valuing it's right to life" may go right out the window. The kid is a bit different though. That's gotta be tough to live with. And he has absolutely struggled with that, that's a sign that he is a moral person who just made a terrible mistake.

Edited by arizonabigfoot

BFF Patron

Personally, I doubt Derekfoot would have posted and acted in the manner he did last night if he "truly" thought the General was remorseful. But that is just me and you can find it amusing if you want to because I probably have as good a feel for it as the next person..... with all the facts out there and all. Just sayin'

Wanted to give you +1 but I'm out, AZBF. Excellent post though. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a problem with the way General has been treated, seemingly just because he dared step out of line for a night over a few beers.

I am surprised General came to talk and answer any questions at all given the atmosphere here.

I feel like he has been without adequate counsel since the beginning, whether legal or psychological, and instead has relied on Bigfooters for that guidance and/or support.

That just fell away.

I don't know him, or who is in his life to help him work through not just the event, but this aftermath, which might be just the beginning of public outcry.

I have a lot of questions too, but I want to direct them at other people involved, not so much Justin.

Seems he has said more than one could imagine saying voluntarily about such a horrendous event.

Those ever present NDAs are still in place, but they will eventually expire, and then?

Well, it will be interesting to see who is as forthcoming as Justin about their role and who makes money, a book, a movie, or a reputation that survives this.

Edited by apehuman

I'd like to point out that Justin sent samples to a second lab, apparently because he still didn't have all the answers as to what he shot. I think there was still a nagging concern this could have a negative impact on him.

i am surprised General came to talk and answer any questions at all given the atmosphere here.

i feel like he has been without adequate counsel since the beginning, whether legal or psychological, and instead has relied on Bigfooters for that guidance and/or support.

That just fell away.

It also seems as though those who did give him "support" did so to their own benefit (until there was no more benefit to be had)

Then you aren't disagreeing with me, you are disagreeing with science where proof is concerned. The Scientists who are doing the DNA studies aren't doing it because there is no hope of proving it's out there. Believe what you want about the legalities, the laws will follow the discovery.

Of course not.........but they are not going to be able to establish a species without a type specimen.....which means a body or a significant portion thereof.

I just read some where (which may or may not be true) that Justin and his friend did not bring the body back to town because they feared legal ramifications over the shooting.........

If this is true then I simply want to gouge my eye balls out. Instead of trying to fiddle fart around trying to wring DNA out of a skin sample that's been laying in the mud for however long? We could already be well on our way to protecting a new SPECIES of primate on the planet.

What's it going to take to push us over the hump? Certainly a change in mindset that's for sure.

Guest slimwitless

I wonder if anything is stopping him from releasing the results of the lab tests he initiated on his own.

I'd like to point out that Justin sent samples to a second lab, apparently because he still didn't have all the answers as to what he shot. I think there was still a nagging concern this could have a negative impact on him.

I suspect they got their own to include with the book.

Here is a copy of Justins second post on the taxidermy site and it clearly shows that he knew it wasnt a man in a suit and he states he wouldnt have shot if it looked more human.

Re: if you saw big foot « Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 01:24:27 AM » quote.gif

Call bs if you want but this bear season I saw a bear in northern ca that walked on 2 legs and was pale white in color like a pale yote sorta. like some grizzlys I've seen but whiter. It stood 8 feet tall or so and walked like a man. Could have been a grizzly (highly doudbtful). Idk forsure what it was. Maybe just a monster black bear that got shot in the front leg years back and learned to walk different. Idk. I do know I was not alone when I seen it. I shot it with a 25-06 behind the shoulder at 120 yards. It ran 70 yards into the brush and crashed. Sounded like a car reck. I never found it. Not sayin it was big foot at all it just looked different then any bear I'd seen. If it looked any more human like I would have passed on it. Somethin wasn't right there, oh and it was prob 600+ lbs or more. So to answer my ? I suppose the answer is probably yes for me but not if he looked any more human then what I shot.

Guest Zebedee

hi all, long time lurker here...

can any of you hunter guys able to answer a question I have please?

If you shoot at a target that is 80 yards away through a rifle scope would the scope have to be refocused to shoot at something 15 feet away and can it be refocused? Im thinking that something that close would be very blurry and hard to get clear an accurate sight picture on a 40 pound animals neck? Much like looking at something 15 feet away with binoculars doesnt work.

Thankyou

If you shoot at a target that is 80 yards away through a rifle scope would the scope have to be refocused to shoot at something 15 feet away and can it be refocused? Im thinking that something that close would be very blurry and hard to get clear an accurate sight picture on a 40 pound animals neck? Much like looking at something 15 feet away with binoculars doesnt work.

Thankyou

all one would need to do is turn the power all the way down on the scope. It can be done in a second.

Thankyou

It depends entirely on the scope. A low power non variable scope could certainly fit the bill for any target from 0 to 100 yards. Binoculars are generally at least 8x which would be much to much magnification for something 15 feet away and the same would apply to the scope.

Of course at 15 feet a person may not even choose to use a sight of any kind.......simply point and shoot.