Sierra Shooting from A-Z

slabdog

Guest BFSleuth

No problem.... I'm just trying to be the resident source of sanity when it comes to discussion of "lie detectors". :D

The general population is largely unaware that there is an almost total lack of science to back up the claims of the LD industry, while the entertainment industry has latched onto it and perpetuated the illusion that it is valid. Just in case anyone has missed my prior posts and links about it, I do try to interject this small voice of reason to remind our members and readers that LD tests really don't amount to very much whenever the topic arises.

Oh I totally agree, BF. The same is likely true of "truth serum"...also prided in Hollywood's finest action flicks as the anedote to deception

Not to mention how they can enhance QVGA resolution security cam pics to read a letter the suspect is carrying in his hand, or many other of a bajillion abuses of reality and science.

He wasn't banned, he left voluntarily as others have, and if you really want to talk about the moderation and other actions by those at the Alberta Sasquatch forum then I suggest we do so there.

Edited by AlbertaSasquatch

I've made several posts in various threads regarding the fallacy that "lie detector" tests have anything to do with actually detecting deception. Here's one of them. LD tests are great entertainment, nothing else.

Well do they even administer them,if they are for entertainment, and useless other wise ? if that's the case, it would be much cheaper and more entertaining to have the test subject sit in a chair, with a light in their eye, asking them questions like " where were you on the night of the 33rd ?! "

I'll go back and review exactly what the test included, who administered it, and such. I've heard various opinions from members of the bigfoot community regarding the validity of these tests. I'ld rather read the opinions of those that actually use the tests day to day in their jobs and the research behind the development before I make up my mind about them, not something I've bothered to do yet. My original question was more about what kind of questions they asked during the test and did he pass all of those? That information may not be common knowledge, I don't recall seeing it discussed, but my coverage of this thread has grown sketchy.

Guest BFSleuth

Well do they even administer them,if they are for entertainment, and useless other wise?

LD tests are administered due to reasons that are best left for discussion in the Tar Pit. Politics are involved.

The link I provided in my earlier post is a page from the American Psychological Association. It is rather telling that they feel compelled to have a page on their web site dedicated to noting the total lack of repeatable experiments confirming the validity of LD testing. I studied this subject in college as part of my major: psychology. This was decades ago and the professors were flabbergasted that LD testing was allowed to continue, a "voodoo science" in their words.

Ongoing belief in LD testing is scientific pareidolia, pure and simple.

This afternoon I put together a rather longish explanation of the value of the test to investigators and what it is used for. I went into my own experience with the test in major criminal cases. Then I realized I had just marched down a road I vowed to never travel, the discussion of investigative technique on an open internet forum. So I scrapped the post.

Let me just say there is an important value to the test but it's not what people think or even expect. In the criminal arena its importance has little to do with evidence.

Guest BFSleuth

True, the effectiveness of the test is largely limited to the idea that most folks think it can detect deception. In such conditions it can induce people to reveal information that they would not otherwise reveal. That has been documented by scientific research, and is pretty much the limit of the effectiveness of LD testing.

Guest jimmy_simpson

He wasn't banned, he left voluntarily as others have, and if you really want to talk about the moderation and other actions by those at the Alberta Sasquatch forum then I suggest we do so there.

I actually never mentioned AS or anything about the moderation there. I left AS out of respect to you . And never brought you or AS into this thread, out of respect.... There are more then just 2 sasquatch forums on the internet ..

I dont believe everything , Ken says, or Justin. I think there are some strong indications that something may have happened, and 2 bipedal creatures were shot.

But there is reason to question....

Folks, please remember our General Guidelines # 5. If you have grievances against others from the past, leave them in the past and do not bring them here.

Thankyou for your cooperation!

AaronD

Guest jimmy_simpson

I was responding to a comment that has since been removed.

sorry, misunderstanding on my part... hard to follow threads when posts get removed

Guest jimmy_simpson

Sorry if this question has already been asked....

The video of the polygraph... was it played on a legitimate news program?? Or was it just a made for "you tube" video??