Weapon Of Choice

Rod

I like the grips too, but Ive got a pair of stags Im going to put on it once I break it in and have the trigger work finished. I had a Colt Commander in the early 80's that had stags on it and always missed that handgun after I traded it off. This one has the lightweight frame like the old series 70 Colts did so I can do a kind of retro build.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest BastetsCat

It probably wouldn't do the eyes any good thats for sure, but I have seen (on tv) criminals sprayed with pepper spray by the cops and it didn't phase them... The question here is what makes more sence, to prepare for the most possible situation, or prepare for the worst case sceanereo ( I know that is spelled wrong).

I think the bottom line is that you have to do what is right for you. are you willing to take the chance with your own life or the lives of your family that the worst case attack will never happen... The chances are very slim that it will. I don't have the answer. for me, the wasp spray is a really good alternitive to gun fire and it is not too heavy to carry around..

In the case of my family...I have a little story about a little man...being mean here becuase he has been horrible. My x of nearly a year has stalked me. He has entered my house no less than six times. Once kicking in the door; we were not home. I don't even want to tell you what he did in my bed one of those times. He has messed with my vehicle, stolen money and food.

I have a number of wrenches, big ones spread through the house. I have a loaded shotgun in my living room. I have several baseball bats and so many kinves in my kitchen. The police have told me that I live in a make my day state...meaning that I have the right to shoot him if he busts in while we are home. If I call 911 they are here in a breath, it scares them too.

If I get the upper hand in a combat situation then I will take advantage of it, weather it is easy off oven cleaner or a pipe wrench. I would far and away rather live with the consequences than be a statistic.

If it's to be a charging Bigfoot, I'd want nothing less than a phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range.

I would think that the second and third one would be a worry...LOL

• 10 months later...

While I havent been on a bigfooting adventure yet I have spent considerable time in the wild.... I have a fairly substantial arsenal at my disposal rangin from numerous .22 lr all the way up to 12 ga shotguns and a few rifles capable of taking down any game in North America. I would most likely carry my Smith and Wesson SWVE40, 2 fourteen round magazines should be capable of handling anything i come across. I would also consider my Remington 870, 6 position adjustable stock, 20" barrell w/ 3" chamber strapped to my pack as a "it just got real" situation. As for a knife choice i would probably use my Ontario Spec Plus Machete as a camp knife/hatchet with my Kabar Baconmaker on my side and a variety of pocket knives just cause i like a selection.

Knockdown power is just a compensation for poor shot placement. Being proficient with what you have is a must.

Pepper spray has nothing to do with humans at all. Other than the point brought up that you do not need to be proficient with a firearm to use it.

The pepper spray proponents want you to use it, so that the animal ultimately is unharmed in the encounter.

Knockdown power is just a compensation for poor shot placement. Being proficient with what you have is a must.

Even if that is the case, who cares, practically speaking.  If by chance you had poor shot placement, for whatever reason, wouldn't you still wan't knockdown power?  Say a gnat flies into your eye wouldn't you still want to knock down whatever might otherwise kill you?  I mean really, if you're in a life-and-death situation don't you want the thing dead whether your shot was perfectly placed or not?  Otherwise shouldn't we all just be carrying a 22LR and shoot stuff through the eye-hole?

Guest Darrell

^Its a little more complicated than that. If I make a bad hit with a 458 Win Mag, which has lots of "knock down power" its still a bad hit and wont stop the animal. If I clip an elk's ear with a 22 lr or a 458 Win Mag, its still not a telling hit despite what knock down power the 458 Win mag has. If I make a center of mass hit on a person with a 7.62 NATO (308 Win) the damage is going to be greater and the results positive than if I placed the round into you hand. There are books filled with accounts of African hunters who didnt get good shot placement on elephant, lion, buffalo, ect with their 500 Nitro or 458 Win Mag, or 375 H&H Mag and were processed into worm food.  No amount of theoretical "knock down power" will ever compensate for poor marksmanship.  

True, but you're not saying the same thing.

"No amount of theoretical "knock down power" will ever compensate for poor marksmanship" is not the same as "Knockdown power is just a compensation for poor shot placement."

You really need to be able to place the right bullet in the right place.  My point was knockdown power is not "just a compensation" for poor shot placement.

Edited by Ace!

^^^^^^^^ (Ace jumped between us)

True. But there would be a lot more accounts of being turned into worm food on dangerous game, good marksmanship, bad marksmanship or otherwise if those men were using a .223.

A rifle is just a tool, and every tool has it's job. Shoot what your comfortable with...........and if you not comfortable shooting a .458 win mag? Chose a thinner skinned animal to fill your freezer with.

Edited by norseman

Guest Darrell

Oh yes, but lets not forget that African legend Walter Bell. Karamojo Bell as he became known, killed many elephant and other dangerous game with 7x57 Mausuer and 303 British calibers, emphasizing accurate shot placement and penetration over the larger calibers popular before 1914. He later became a proponent of the 220 Swift for deer size game. My main hunting round during several long term overseas trips was the 5.56 Nato using the M4 platform. Worked very well for me.  

^^^^^^^^^^

I knew he was going to come up in this debate. Let's face it.............most of us are not Walter Bell. Who was an amazing shot under pressure and had a surgeon's knowledge of the anatomy of the animals he hunted.

For the rest of us mere mortals? We had best choose the best caliber for the job.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/restrictions_hunting_big_game.htm

BTW, it is illegal in Washington state to hunt big game with a 5.56 caliber rifle.