Weapon Of Choice

Rod

I have an 1894 in 44M. It's a handy, relatively lightweight shooter. Nice too if you have a pistol/rifle that you go between (I carry a .44M handgun more than I have my 1894 with me).

Guest Biggie

I've been a destroyer of squirrels before (AR15, .223), but am now building a squirrel specific sniper rifle (CZ452 American with suppressor, sub-sonic .22LR) and will put them on the table, hopefully with no meat loss.

Then you will really enjoy this prairie dog clip like I did. This brings a whole new meaning to "having a blast". Sweet nutter rifle btw.

Guest D B Cooper

marlin has always made excellent lever guns, but i wonder how being owned by remington has affected that?( not picking a fight w/ remington fans, ive got /had a few rems too)

but i say this because looking at a marlin 44 mag lever at ***** sporting goods last year i noticed the front sight was not "top dead center"on the barrel, it had been attached at almost the 1:00 oclock position.

i was suprised & slightly saddened to see that. counter guy just shrugged.

quality control mustve been sleeping at the wheel, im hoping it was just a fluke.

No, the new Remington made Marlins are junk. The crooked sight is typical. Broken loading gates and very bad wood to metal fit. I know of one instance where with first shot, the magazine tube on a 30-30 flew out under recoil. I've owned several Marlins over the years, and presently own 5 in various calibers. All are pre-Remington production.

I often carry this. A Ruger 4-5/8" Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt loaded with fairly heavy hand loads, in a custom forward raked holster. I've carried hand guns in the woods for nearly 40 years and this is the best holster I've found for comfort and ease in carry. I prefer a single action revolver for "surprises" because they are faster than a double action in getting the first shot off. Follow-up shots go to the double action , but not by much if you know the gun and practice with it.

post-749-075610400 1325978868_thumb.jpg

Edited by D B Cooper

just out walking in the woods a .45acp or .45colt handgun, neither would be my first choice as a gun to shoot a BF with.

Guest D B Cooper

just out walking in the woods a .45acp or .45colt handgun, neither would be my first choice as a gun to shoot a BF with.

If it's a living being with vital organs? It can be killed, as long as the shots are placed correctly. I have a friend who killed an 800lb Bull Elk with a Ruger .357 Black Hawk with one shot from about 50 yds. I have no doubts about the ability of my .45 Colt. Factory ammo is anemic, my loads aren't. If they don't kill it with the first shot, they will sure slow it down.

As far as the stories about people shooting a Bigfoot, and they just ran away, I don't buy it. Either they missed, or they're fabricating the stories. I don't believe the Will O' the Wisp Supernatural stuff. If they do exist, they have to be some type of Great Ape or physical being. Otherwise they wouldn't leave foot prints, hair, bobby pins or whatever...

Edited by D B Cooper

Mr. Cooper, what DID you do with that money, anyway?

You're absolutely correct factory-loadings for the .45 Colt are loaded very lightly, taking into account the many old Colt models out there, the factories have to include them in the equation. The same thing is true of USA manufactured 7 x 57mm Mauser and 8mm Mauser loads, among others.

As far as the stories about people shooting a Bigfoot, and they just ran away, I don't buy it. Either they missed, or they're fabricating the stories.

Agreed again. It's not unlike the reports from Somalia, during the "Blackhawk Down" events. The Delta Force guys made claim after claim that multiple hits from their 5.56mm rifles (.22 Cal) having no effect on the recipients. While I'm a fan of .30 caliber battle rifles, it's quite possible the reports may have come from those convinced they didn't miss their targets.

Edited by Incorrigible1

I have no doubts about the ability of my .45 Colt. Factory ammo is anemic, my loads aren't.

If I'm carrying in the woods it's for SD or hunting either way I'm using BB ammo 325GR +P in the blackhawk

If I were to hunt BF I would follow the rule of the PH and go with.375HHmag or larger for dangerous game

Edited by peter

The limitation of the .375 H&H and other bolt action loadings is the fact it takes longer to recharge such a rifle. The forested environment one is likely to encounter sasquatch simply leads me to favor lever-action or self-loading rifles. I'm not criticizing your choice, as it's truly a good one, but I'll ask for something besides a bolt rifle, for myself.

As I've stated in previous postings in this thread, for me, at least, give me a good Marlin Guide Gun in the tried/proven .45/70 cartridge. Ain't any creature standing on two feet gonna shrug off 405 grains of flying lead, thank you. JMHO

Don't forget (I'm sure you haven't Incorrigible), 405g is standard fare, but there are hotter loads available for the .45-70. I really like the 405g myself, but there are smaller, faster loads and faster heavier loads. Obviously I'm partial to the .45-70 as I've stated over and over...so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I don't think there is a creature on the face of the earth (save whales) that would take a .45-70 loaded properly (if placed properly) and still take the time to kill you.

I finally got my new handgun yesterday. I was carrying a Ruger Blackhawk .357, but I traded up to the Super Blackhawk Hunter .44 mag. With the longer barrel length, it will certainly not be fast on the draw, but the barrel length will help me to be able to hunt with it a bit, which is something I would like to do.

As far as the 45/70, it is one of my favorite calibers. I have a single shot with the 32" barrel. I've shot 4 deer with it, and never had one run after the shot. I did actually flip one once.

Guest Biggie

Nice. What color is it and the grip? You considered scoping it like a lot of people do? I saw online that a guy got a bear at 60yds with one that was scoped.

The limitation of the .375 H&H and other bolt action loadings is the fact it takes longer to recharge such a rifle.

yep that's why it should be a double rifle, the .45/70 would be acceptable as a Marlin is more realistic with my budget, for now it's 12 gauge and Brennekes.

Nice. What color is it and the grip? You considered scoping it like a lot of people do? I saw online that a guy got a bear at 60yds with one that was scoped.

post-1661-011362400 1326155401_thumb.jpg