Weapon Of Choice

Rod

Guest D B Cooper

If I'm carrying in the woods it's for SD or hunting either way I'm using BB ammo 325GR +P in the blackhawk

If I were to hunt BF I would follow the rule of the PH and go with.375HHmag or larger for dangerous game

I use 300gr LBT hard cast. They have a wide flat nose. It hits very hard , with lots of penetraion. I shoot the same bullet out of my .45 Colt Cowboy Carbine with a fairly heavy charge. It is very accurate out to 200+ yds. I've used it in the Ruger , but it's just not fun to shoot, and accuracy past 75 yds drops off.

I often carry a S&W Mod 57 .41 mag with an 8-3/8" barrel. I call it my hand rifle, it is deadly accurate at nearly any range I can see my target. My record so far is a ranged 413 yds. I hit a beer can with my third shot after figuring out the hold over.

Edited by D B Cooper

Guest D B Cooper

DB, that forward slanting holster you had in the pic you posted sure is nice. Where might one acquire one like that?

That holster is one of a kind. Hand made by a close friend, who has since moved back to Idaho. He was 3/4 Sioux Indian and called it the "Prairie Spook Special" (his words, not mine). He made it, and gave it to me as a gift just before he moved.

He also made the knife sheath in the photo, patterned after the style used by Professional Hunters in Africa.

Edited by D B Cooper

That holster is one of a kind. Hand made by a close friend, who has since moved back to Idaho. He was 3/4 Sioux Indian and called it the "Prairie Spook Special" (his words, not mine). He made it, and gave it to me as a gift just before he moved.

He also made the knife sheath in the photo, patterned after the style used by Professional Hunters in Africa.

Friends like that, with a talent such as his, are hard to come by. Good for you.

I finally got my new handgun yesterday. I was carrying a Ruger Blackhawk .357, but I traded up to the Super Blackhawk Hunter .44 mag. With the longer barrel length, it will certainly not be fast on the draw, but the barrel length will help me to be able to hunt with it a bit, which is something I would like to do.

As far as the 45/70, it is one of my favorite calibers. I have a single shot with the 32" barrel. I've shot 4 deer with it, and never had one run after the shot. I did actually flip one once.

Good look'n handgun, Shawn! I will need to fire it when I visit next.

Friends like that, with a talent such as his, are hard to come by. Good for you.

Good look'n handgun, Shawn! I will need to fire it when I visit next.

No prob! I need to find a cheap ammo source or learn to reload. I can fire my rifles for as much or cheaper than this, lol

Wow look at the recoil on this, and that's with a compensated barrel. It needs a shock suppressing stock on it.

The guys from Knight Rifles "Americas Muzzleloader" head out to the range with Dave Fricke of Millennium Manufacturing to shoot the largest center fire rifle ever made. Only 12 people have ever shot the .950 JDJ as a rifle. Produced by SSK Industries, only 3 were ever made this was the first and the lightest weighing in at 50 lbs.. 2400 grain bullet and 240 grains of powder.

Well right now I have an EAA Tanfoglio Witness chambered in .45 ACP. I'm going to do a few upgrades that will allow me to fire .45 Super. They make a 255 gr. round made for cracking bone. In fact in the description on Buffalo Bore they specifically state they made it to break a bear skull. So that should suffice. Worst I'll run into in the woods down here is a Boar, Coyote, maybe an ornery Bobcat. I'm more worried about running into a wild dog than anything else down here really. Sure we have Alligators but your chances of getting a shot off if one grabs you aren't good.

• 2 weeks later...

Click on the link then you'll see what I'm talking about Ace. This is a weapon thread after all so I wouldn't dare post about a chair here in fear of getting shot. ;)

Guest 11BRAVO

I use 300gr LBT hard cast. They have a wide flat nose. It hits very hard , with lots of penetraion. I shoot the same bullet out of my .45 Colt Cowboy Carbine with a fairly heavy charge. It is very accurate out to 200+ yds. I've used it in the Ruger , but it's just not fun to shoot, and accuracy past 75 yds drops off.

I often carry a S&W Mod 57 .41 mag with an 8-3/8" barrel. I call it my hand rifle, it is deadly accurate at nearly any range I can see my target. My record so far is a ranged 413 yds. I hit a beer can with my third shot after figuring out the hold over.

413 yards with a pistol??? BAHAHAHAHA funny.

Guest KentuckyApeman

I wanted to post this here in case someone would be interested. I have never seen anything like it and thought they were neat.

Pretty nifty. Where can they be ordered from? I like the one with the gold finish. Would give the whole room that contemporary jazz look.