Weapon Of Choice

Rod

Guest Darrell

Well, IMO, there is too much speculating going on and not enough pics of cool guns. So lets start out the morning with one of my new rifles, a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle:

1k3wddHl.jpg

Cool set up. Mine now has a Leatherwood 1x4 scout scope mounted on it. 308 Win, 10 rd removable magazine, and threaded for a sound supressor :spiteful:

Very packable. Took mine with me about a month ago up to Lookout Pass on the Mt/Id border during a camping/huckleberry picking trip.

I also packed this along but its just to expensive and pretty to use much, lol. I ended up using my Buck Punk for most of my camp chores.

FdGzjgEl.jpg

Not mere speculation............just the facts.........and game laws. ;)

I like that Scout rifle alot, but I'm a lefty and I don't like right handed bolt action rifles.

I just bought one of these:

woodmans-pal-xl.jpg

Edited by norseman

Guest Darrell

^Ahh but my friend from the great white north of Colville, Ruger makes the GSR in a left handed model also. Its about $20 more that the RH model. There is one in a LGS in Spokane for $849 as we speak. Its calling your name. That rifle with a Gemtech or Surefire surpressor, a PVS-14 NVG, and an NV compatible Aimpoint ML-4 or Eotech would be just the ticket for you to bag a bigfoot. But those same components on a 458 SOCOM would be work just as well IMO.

Exactly Darrell.....a bad shot with a 375 H&H is still a bad shot. You don't have to have a 500 Smith and Wesson as a side arm. Just be good with what you have.

^Ahh but my friend from the great white north of Colville, Ruger makes the GSR in a left handed model also. Its about $20 more that the RH model. There is one in a LGS in Spokane for $849 as we speak. Its calling your name. That rifle with a Gemtech or Surefire surpressor, a PVS-14 NVG, and an NV compatible Aimpoint ML-4 or Eotech would be just the ticket for you to bag a bigfoot. But those same components on a 458 SOCOM would be work just as well IMO.

You mean somebody is stocking a LEFT HANDED bolt action???? Knock me over with a feather! :swoon:

Exactly Darrell.....a bad shot with a 375 H&H is still a bad shot. You don't have to have a 500 Smith and Wesson as a side arm. Just be good with what you have.

Good shot placement is just compensating for being recoil sensitive.

Guest Darrell

You mean somebody is stocking a LEFT HANDED bolt action???? Knock me over with a feather! :swoon:

Dude, you need to visit the big city once in a while. The Cabelas in Post Falls, ID also has a few leftie bolt actions.

Recoil sensitivity affects everyone differently, what is tolerable for one may not be for another. There are many good cartridges out there that are capable of taking down big dangerous game. To say that everyone needs a 45-70 or similar big bore buffalo cartridge is ridiculous. All you need is a good cartridge that you are comfortable shooting.  I should have said "Knockdown power should not be a compensation for poor shot placement. My point was you can be just as effective with a smaller caliber if you are good with it.

How many people walk through the woods with a rifle at the ready? I don’t. In the event of a charge from a bear or Bigfoot I don’t think there would be time to shoulder a rifle, take aim and fire. More than likely a side arm would be used. I would prefer to have the ability of several quick follow up shots than a few shots from hand cannon. I can sling 14 rounds at my target in a matter of seconds with my 40 cal, most of which will be on target. I will choose more rounds over knockdown power any day of the week.

"To say that everyone needs a 45-70 or similar big bore buffalo cartridge is ridiculous."

I'm not sure anyone said that, but it's no more ridiculous than the general statements in this thread recently.

Honestly, do you think you have the time to get off the 14th shot if being charged?  Do you think you have the ability to get the 14th shot off accurately if being charged, if you're good with it?

There are other factors (velocity, hydrostatic shock, taylor knock out value, whatever you subscribe to, etc.), but a general statement like, "... you can be just as effective with a smaller caliber if you are good with it" is worthless in making any point related to dangerous game.  It is so broad and general as to be meaningless.

If you have the choice between a .22LR, .38sp, .380, .40, .44M, .45acp why not shoot them all on target?  It almost sounds like you're saying a .22LR can be just as good as a .40 if you're good with it.  Well, why not be good with a .40 then, or become more proficient with a .44M?  Also, caliber is somewhat misleading anyway, because it's only the diameter of the bullet.  Bullet design and construction, as well as weight and velocity play into this.

I've posted it before, but a US Forest Service study indicates using a handgun is minimally effective against bears.  You are MUCH better off with a rifle.  "To provide an inadequate weapon just because it was more pleasant to shoot is unwise."  This isn't solely because of caliber, obviously.  If caliber were a good way of describing what is effective a .38sp would be more effective than a 30-06, or a .45LC would (always) be better than a .44M.

A .40 S&W is probably good for a man-sized animal that doesn't charge as fast as a bear and doesn't have the teeth and claws of a bear, but not most "dangerous" animals in the woods, and again, this has little to do with caliber.

If you don't have time to read Safety in Bear Country, the take-away from it is not to use a handgun at all, but carry a rifle (often without a sling).  To shoulder a rifle takes little or no more time than a handgun does to unholster and put on target, and the rifle will almost always be more accurate and more lethal.  "Shooting a rifle when confronted by a bear at close range is similar to shooting a shotgun and has little resemblance to precision marksmanship.  The rifle is pointed rather than aimed" and "The most important shot is the first one. If not properly placed, it may also be the last shot fired."  Feel free to shoot a large, dangerous game animal with a .40S&W, but even properly placing the first shot, you're not likely to do anything but make it upset and want to kill you even more dead.  Properly placing a rifle cartridge is better.

I really enjoy how everyone puts words in my mouth here. The only time I have mentioned a .22LR was when i said i owned a few. Not once did i say a .22lr is just as effective or could be as effective as anything else. 

You said you can be just as effective with a smaller caliber , if you're good with it.  Why not choose a .22LR as an example of a smaller caliber than a .40, which can be just as effective, if you're good with it.  Right?  Your argument doesn't allow for the shooter to place shots with a larger caliber, or if they do, are they just compensating for being a poor marksman?  Enough, right?