Weapon Of Choice

Rod

Thinking Archer uses extended safeties on his rifles. The Long Tabber style safeties.

Ah.

But look at what you have to think with.

FanArcher.......fully armed ready to shoot something at night? Lemme know when & where you do this, so I can stay the hell out of those woods please. I don't think we need soldiers hunting BF in our American woods, a recipe for disaster IMO. 

• Upvote 1

Tex, unlike others, I'm not a bigfoot hunter.  Nor will I waste any time hunting them.

Specific, very remote location on private property at 8,000 feet.  Backdrop will be a bare mountain at a 30 degree angle, no trees vertically, and none within twenty five meters out to the sides.

Will be using multiple advanced technologies, in multiple pods, from different angles.  Bottom line:  A field mouse can't move within a hundred meters without detection in real time.  In addition, we can easily measure the height and width in real time.

Not only will the target be impossible to confuse with a human, even if a human tried a suit - two of the technologies will detect that as well - even if you can find an eight footer to get into a suit. 

My apologies, but I won't be able to comply with your request.

Glad to hear you are not a BF hunter FarArcher, I feel safer.......there are plenty of 'tricky' situations down here in Texas with desperate folks fresh from the border, and walking up on their illegal camp sites can have some tense moments.

Your comment 'two of the technologies' mentioned above, did you elaborate on what those were in a previous post? Sounds very interesting.

Edited by Bigtex

Glad to hear you are not a BF hunter FarArcher, I feel safer.......there are plenty of 'tricky' situations down here in Texas with desperate folks fresh from the border, and walking up on their illegal camp sites can have some tense moments.

Your comment 'two of the technologies' mentioned above, did you elaborate on what those were in a previous post? Sounds very interesting.

I know.  I have friends from and in the Great state of Texas, and yes, there are problems with folks wandering around where they're not supposed to be. 

My situation, and thus requirements are a bit different from any others I've read.  I'm not going to hunt diddly squat.  I'm going right to a population, remain on site for the Summer, get all the video and photos I can during that time, and when I conclude my visit, I'll be wrapping things up early that evening, but will have to remain overnight for safety purposes. 

Had some experiences with really large rocks thrown already, including righ in front of the ATV's going back down the mountain.  They're pretty accurate.  Sure hope we don't have to shoot our way out of there, as we go down the switchbacks, but we just might.  As you might imagine, we'll be needful of some autoloaders if it comes to that.  And our heads will be on swivels.

My camera needs won't be the same as a field researcher.  One daylight camera I like and which will eliminate any fuzzy, out of focus photos, even if the subject is really fast is a plenoptic camera.  They come with software and no more out of focus photos.  I don't anticipate really needing the daylight cameras, so most of our technologies will be cameras with multiple spectrum capabilities.

If someone somehow came out in a suit, not only can we detect the body in the suit, but we'll unfortunately also be able to tell if we wears boxers or briefs.

Energy is not a reliable indicator of lethality when it comes to game

As far as a dangerous game stopping rifle, I have never heard of a single guide or professional hunter use a semi-auto

The reasons are simple, they are not 100% reliable and they are heavier and more unwieldy then other rifles

If you have hunted grizzlies then you know that the guides tell you to shoot just under the hump (side angle shot)

Why do they say this

Because they want the shot to break both shoulder bones and disable the bear

As far as the 45/70 goes, you can shoot traditional ammo that was loaded for trapdoor Springfields and the like

or

You can shoot factory loaded ammo designed for modern rifles like the guide gun, that puts the cartridge into a totally different category

or

If you have a Ruger #1 then you can really crank it up

Many Alaskan guides carry 45/70 guide guns as there stopping rifle, many others use bolt actions from 30/06 and up

Never heard of one packing a semi-auto

Never hear a guide or professional hunter advocate the spray and pray as a method for stopping dangerous game either

You may note I never proposed guiding anyone.  I'm not using mine for guiding.  I'm not shooting griz.  I'm not shooting buffalo, bobcats, sloths, or gerbils. 

Folks who use a guide are normally occasional trophy hunters who fly in, ride in, or boat in to a location, led by their guide, and take their shot. 

That backup gun?  Why would that even be necessary if the XXXX rifle is the end-all great perfect, reliable rifle?  It's because there is no such thing as an end-all, guaranteed, first-shot animal stopper.

One other thing.  If most guides consider the .338 WM the minimum they feel comfortable with - it's been impossible to have a semi in that caliber until now.  Then, there's the other factor.  Cost.  Some folks simply can't afford a $6000 rifle.  Third, it's about five pounds heavier than most bolt action rifles or even the guide gun.  Some people are unable to hump a rifle that heavy, or they're unwilling.

And finally, different folks have different limitations.  Different abilities.  Folks with lots of limitations need to stick to simple equipment - as they're not up to things when it gets real fast, real quick.  I know.  I've seen it scores of times.

Most of my experience has been a manhunter, hunting and killing them where I found them.  I'm skewed in that direction - in this instance, especially since I think these critters are hybrids of an older form of man.  Men and animals are different in many ways, and a dumb animal is really easy to take.  Man isn't.  I don't give a good ******* what bones you can break.

Two of us opened up on two dozen armed opponents in a stream, and we finished it.  Try that with a bolt action.  Or a four-shot lever action.  You're dead.  No - firepower has its advantages - and you won't need it - right up till the moment you need it.  Key being, you never know when that moment will come.  It's much better to have it and never need it, than to need it just once - and not have it.

1.  My opponent will be of a group.  Three for sure, likely a few others.  If anyone knowingly walks into that situation with a four-shot magazine - they probably won't walk out.  These things can throw large - very large rocks great distances - very accurately.  Lodge pine poles like a javelin.

2.  I'll be doing my work at night.  Where they normally have all the advantages.  And they have one advantage I've never seen anyone ever mention anywhere - coincidentally - the very reason everyone has failed to bring one in.  I must circumvent that ability, and can.

3.  These things are clever, have tactical excellence, and use deception like pros.  While they grab your attention with noise from one direction, a 20-pound rock may be flying at the back of your head from another direction.  So I don't give a flying rat's *** about using a very limited weapon. 

You guys use limited weapons on dumb animals.

That's not what I'm going after.

And for the record, the pray and spray relates to full auto weapons.

Not a medium bore semi-automatic.

browning had a 338 winmag semi-auto out years ago

the more you talk, the more you show that you don't know much about hunting dangerous game

That is fine, continue to make all the claims you want

Unless you back them up, then they are just claims and we all know what they are worth

• Upvote 2

Its amazing that Roger Patterson and Bob Gimlin managed to take the best video of Sasquatch ever..... armed with three horses, a bolt action rifle and a 8mm camera.

Thank god Bigfoot Army did not bombard them with a arsenal of giant stones and lodge pole spears!!!!

LOL!

Energy is not a reliable indicator of lethality when it comes to game

As far as a dangerous game stopping rifle, I have never heard of a single guide or professional hunter use a semi-auto

The reasons are simple, they are not 100% reliable and they are heavier and more unwieldy then other rifles

If you have hunted grizzlies then you know that the guides tell you to shoot just under the hump (side angle shot)

Why do they say this

Because they want the shot to break both shoulder bones and disable the bear

As far as the 45/70 goes, you can shoot traditional ammo that was loaded for trapdoor Springfields and the like

or

You can shoot factory loaded ammo designed for modern rifles like the guide gun, that puts the cartridge into a totally different category

or

If you have a Ruger #1 then you can really crank it up

Many Alaskan guides carry 45/70 guide guns as there stopping rifle, many others use bolt actions from 30/06 and up

Never heard of one packing a semi-auto

Never hear a guide or professional hunter advocate the spray and pray as a method for stopping dangerous game either

You may note I never proposed guiding anyone.  I'm not using mine for guiding.  I'm not shooting griz.  I'm not shooting buffalo, bobcats, sloths, or gerbils. 

Folks who use a guide are normally occasional trophy hunters who fly in, ride in, or boat in to a location, led by their guide, and take their shot. 

That backup gun?  Why would that even be necessary if the XXXX rifle is the end-all great perfect, reliable rifle?  It's because there is no such thing as an end-all, guaranteed, first-shot animal stopper.

One other thing.  If most guides consider the .338 WM the minimum they feel comfortable with - it's been impossible to have a semi in that caliber until now.  Then, there's the other factor.  Cost.  Some folks simply can't afford a $6000 rifle.  Third, it's about five pounds heavier than most bolt action rifles or even the guide gun.  Some people are unable to hump a rifle that heavy, or they're unwilling.

And finally, different folks have different limitations.  Different abilities.  Folks with lots of limitations need to stick to simple equipment - as they're not up to things when it gets real fast, real quick.  I know.  I've seen it scores of times.

Most of my experience has been a manhunter, hunting and killing them where I found them.  I'm skewed in that direction - in this instance, especially since I think these critters are hybrids of an older form of man.  Men and animals are different in many ways, and a dumb animal is really easy to take.  Man isn't.  I don't give a good ******* what bones you can break.

Two of us opened up on two dozen armed opponents in a stream, and we finished it.  Try that with a bolt action.  Or a four-shot lever action.  You're dead.  No - firepower has its advantages - and you won't need it - right up till the moment you need it.  Key being, you never know when that moment will come.  It's much better to have it and never need it, than to need it just once - and not have it.

1.  My opponent will be of a group.  Three for sure, likely a few others.  If anyone knowingly walks into that situation with a four-shot magazine - they probably won't walk out.  These things can throw large - very large rocks great distances - very accurately.  Lodge pine poles like a javelin.

2.  I'll be doing my work at night.  Where they normally have all the advantages.  And they have one advantage I've never seen anyone ever mention anywhere - coincidentally - the very reason everyone has failed to bring one in.  I must circumvent that ability, and can.

3.  These things are clever, have tactical excellence, and use deception like pros.  While they grab your attention with noise from one direction, a 20-pound rock may be flying at the back of your head from another direction.  So I don't give a flying rat's *** about using a very limited weapon. 

You guys use limited weapons on dumb animals.

That's not what I'm going after.

And for the record, the pray and spray relates to full auto weapons.

Not a medium bore semi-automatic.

browning had a 338 winmag semi-auto out years ago

the more you talk, the more you show that you don't know much about hunting dangerous game

That is fine, continue to make all the claims you want

Unless you back them up, then they are just claims and we all know what they are worth

1.  The BAR you speak of has a gas recoil system that only provides a few inches of "give" to absorb recoil.  It's better against felt recoil than a bolt action, but is still limited due to the limited space.

2.  In contrast, the Nemo has two separate recoil absorbers.  On the rear of the bolt, it has a recoil reduction buffer that give an inch, IN ADDITION to the much longer recoil buffer in the stock.

This is how they're able to fire - not the .338 Win Mag - but the .338 Lapua - and felt recoil is similar to the felt recoil of an AR in .308.

3.  In addition, to reduce felt recoil and help keep your sights on the target, enabling quick follow-on shots, the Nemo is heavier than the commercial hunting BAR by Browning. 

4.  Rail space.  There's my own requirement.  I only need a small, compact reflex sight, but when the sun goes down, I need the extra space out front to cam on a thermal sight.  The BAR doesn't even come close - it's a general purpose hunting rifle.

Understand this:  I have no idea who you are, what you think you know, or where you come from, but in this instance, you still haven't figured out - after all these posts - that I'm not hunting.  I'll say it again.  I'm not hunting.

Whatever your definition of "dangerous game" is - it doesn't apply here.  It doesn't apply to me.

Choke on it.

As I look back to older posts on this site, there were some really knowledgeable, really intelligent folks in days and years past that are no longer here. 

I think I know why.

And for the record, I don't see a Critter on your wall.

If the equipment, techniques, technologies, and approaches that are commonly referred to here, this mystery would have been solved.  So apparently, the conventional wisdom does not produce results.

I know why. 

But you pat yourself on the back and keep doing what you're doing.  After all, it's working so well.

Its amazing that Roger Patterson and Bob Gimlin managed to take the best video of Sasquatch ever..... armed with three horses, a bolt action rifle and a 8mm camera.

Thank god Bigfoot Army did not bombard them with a arsenal of giant stones and lodge pole spears!!!!

LOL!

Maybe you need to improve your reading comprehension skills, and finish whatever article you are referring to.

Nothing was shot.

I highly suggest you take your plan and open a new thread so the public can critique it or cheer or jeer or whatever.

This topic is about posting guns that tickle ones fancy. Got a picture of your Nemo Omen? Post it!

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Anyone have a Glock 20   10MM?    Been looking at that but have no idea how jam resistant and reliable it is.    Since I carry for cougars wonder if it would provide any protection for black bears.     My experience is that they take off but you never know when you will encounter a mom with a cub who charges.   .   

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

Glocks being reliable is dependent on who you talk to. Our member Rex had a story of a buddy that about lost his hand to one. No longer likes "plastic guns".

But I have a lot of buddies that swear by them.

A 10 mm is comparable to a .41 mag.

Only issue w/Glocks is their peculiar safety on the trigger. For most, recommended carry is condition three: loaded magazine, unchambered round.

I highly suggest you take your plan and open a new thread so the public can critique it or cheer or jeer or whatever.

This topic is about posting guns that tickle ones fancy. Got a picture of your Nemo Omen? Post it!

Do you really want to keep doing this?  You're not very good at it.

The topic is firearms.  I have specific need.  Different than yours.  The 45-70 is a fine round for many things.  But it won't measure up to what I have in mind.  Period.

On long patrols, after everyone was on edge for days and days, we'd start fighting among ourselves to let off a bit of steam.  I'd get pulled off to the side and asked if I had any ideas on where to find a firefight.  I'd tell them I'd be back in a few minutes.  When I returned, I'd tell them we're heading out.

Every single time, in half a day, I'd find the enemy.  Every time.  Because I did a lot of analysis.  Thinking.  Reviewing.  Putting seemingly unrelated things together.  I knew the one thing all our enemies had in common, and once I figured out that one thing about them, I could go right to them.  Find them.  And kill them.

The rest of the time under their orders, we'd waste 99.9% of our time on patrols.  Because no one sat down and did their homework.

If you guys did a bit more thinking instead of engaging in petty whizzing contests - you'd have a lot more success.

And NO, I'm not laying out elements of my plan simply because you can't figure it out yourself. 

You already know everything else.

Just not the key stuff.