Weapon Of Choice

Rod

In the heat of the moment you can short stroke a lever or bolt action and end up with a fired case, extracted but not ejected, trying too occupy the same space as the fresh round feeding from the magazine, or have the lever or bolt handle impact or snag on some other object with the same result. With my Socom-16 firing factory ammo tested and known to feed and fire consistently and using high quality well maintained magazines I've minimized the variables. My job is to acquire the sight picture and squeeze the trigger, recoil and muzzle rise are minimal and my strong hand doesn't have to release its grip on the rifle to cycle the action. If a follow up shot is necessary I'm positioned for it, and eighteen more, and my shoulder won't hurt even though the rifle still wears the stock, flat, steel butt plate.

Look at it another way. Would you even consider relying on a defensive handgun that, in order to fire each shot it was necessary to support the weapon with your weak hand while releasing the grip with your strong hand to cycle the action then re-acquire your grip? Remember, this "dangerous game" will be shooting back! I carry a defensive semi-auto handgun every day, a Taurus PT 709 Slim loaded with Hornady Critical Defense and two spare magazines, the one in the front of the carrier loaded the same as the pistol and the one to the rear loaded with Hornady Critical Duty in the event penetrating a barrier is called for. I bet my life on it.

Thats the problem, its a apples and oranges comparison.

Humans shoot back, so the preferred weapon of choice is the one that holds more rounds and shoots them faster. By gaining fire superiority, he stays pinned while you can move to tactically superior points on the map. The four F's, find, fix, flank and finish. There is no question what happens to the human pink ballon when hit by a round even say a 9 mm. He is finished. You win.

Not so with a dangerous animal that is in a full charge. You have x amount of feet to not only kill the animal but stop it before it reaches you. A completely different dynamic emerges.......a 15 round magazine is useless, because you will be lucky if you have time for a follow up shot. Revolvers dont stove pipe, so why risk it when your not going to get all six shots off in a charge anyhow. And not many semi autos that can utilize large calibers like a revolver can, and still be handy. I owned a Desert Eagle....it was cumbersome to say the least.

As far as jams on lever guns, Ive had my Rossi clone of the Winchester 92 jam one time. Never had any problems with my marlin 1895 or Winchester 94's. I use the Rossi for cowboy action.

But I cannot count how many jams I have had with my AR 15 and Browning BAR and 1911's. The Romanian AK i own has never jammed, but I cannot get that action in 45-70:)

I've heard good things about glock reliability and one bad story by Rex about a frame coming apart catastrophically. And the M1A is legendary for reliability too. But hunters just dont need twenty rounds to hunt big game with. And a .308 is not something PH's want to drag into the bushes after wounded animals that can eat you.

I will say this though......if I could only own ONE rifle in a mad max setting? A M1A would be perfect IMO. But I could make do with a Marlin 336 as well.

• Upvote 1

Exactly

there is a reason that dangerous game guides the world over rely on simplicity in terms of stopping rifles

M-1A Socom-16 rapid fire of 20 rounds, Hornady 180 Gr. SST handloads.

Man firing his new Socom-16 for the first time, 10 rounds rapid fire

Note minimal recoil and muzzle rise, courtesy of the proprietary muzzle brake, the ports vent gas upward to combat muzzle rise and there is a shoulder forward of the ports which, when impacted by some of the expanding gas, counteracts recoil. The gas piston mechanism of course also reduces felt recoil and, unlike a direct impingement AR platform, doesn't blow crud back into the chamber. I know all the arguments about the system and it's fine if kept clean, etc. etc. The people that guard nuclear facilities and the former military operators employed by the CIA, think Benghazi, use gas piston AR's if they use them at all. 

You preaching to the choir......I want one!

Im just so geeked up about cowboy action right no it has to wait.....:)

Those are great videos Norse. I'd actually love to have a lever gun in .357 or .44. The Henry's are beautiful rifles but the front load tubular magazines would limit it for serious defensive work, a side gate lets you top off while keeping the weapon in a ready position, even if prone.

I'm thinking of trying the rapid fire video thing with my Socom once the range is accessible in the spring. Should be done with the crutch by then too. I need to do a trigger job on the rifle like I did on my Mini, lighten the trigger return spring a bit, stone the sear and add an overtravel stop.

Agreed on the Henry, Im totally sold on the Marlin. Besides you can gets lots of acessories for it. But I own mostly Winchester or clones.

Sounds like a cool plan on the trigger job, cowboy action guys do them to their guns, plus on levers you can get short stroke kits. Traditionalist organizations like NCOWS doesnt allow them tho...

Edited by norseman

BFF Patron

Problem with a flame thrower is that they have a nasty habit of blowing up, especially when someone is shooting at you.

Roger that, a flamethrower has pretty limited utility anyhow. It's the fact that he built it and it seems to work pretty much like the real deal, those are the kind of skills that are priceless if/when things go sideways on a large scale. I'd hazard a guess that he's an out of the box thinker with the ability to bring those thoughts to fruition and not limited to stand-off flam-beau lighters and the like.

This is also a pretty cool idea.

BFF Patron

Hey Norseman.  I keep thinking about that heavy machine gun I heard in the woods one day.   Is there any way to own one legally now?   It was not an M-16 on auto.    It sounded like a heavy MG.    Just cannot imagine a civilian being able to own one in this day and age.   What do you think?