Rifle Slings

NatFoot

I'm not the expert for certain, but perhaps if you could describe the rifle and its intended use (i.e. hunting rifle, tactical, shotgun, etc.), you may get a more accurate recommendation. I finally settled on a single point sling for the AR that I built. Not sure of the brand, but it works OK. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NatFoot said:

Do you guys have any brands or makers you swear by? Looking for something fairly simple.

Asking the forum who has turned me on to some good buys in the past. Tagging a few folks who should be able to help...

@norseman@Huntster @BlackRockBigfoot

Diamond D makes high quality but simple slings.  

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/products/rifle-sling

1 hour ago, NatFoot said:

Editing to add, I have a single point sling for one of my M4s, and it really bothers me. I've not gotten used to it at all.

You're not alone in hating them.

Unless you are carrying over armor, a single point is just a pain to deal with...

• Thanks 1

Slings are like holsters. I have multiple slings for most of my rifles. 

My favorite slings BY FAR for my hunting rifles are the rubber Slogan Outdoor Slings. They are extremely comfortable for rifle carry, they do not slip off of your shoulder as you walk and stumble around in the brush, and they have excellent properties for slinged up shooting stability.

I use Giles Tactical slings on my "assault rifles" and shotguns. Giles has a video on their website that show their versitility. But I wouldn't mind finding a better tactical sling. The Giles is almost perfect.........

I have Ching slings for some of my Scout rifles, but I almost always use the rubber Slogans on them now.

• Thanks 1

Lots of recommendations for leather. I have not used leather slings for a rifle I take in the field in probably 20 years since I got my first one.

I think I'm going to order one of those rubber slings. I was thinking someone would recommend something nylon/fabric with a grip but maybe higher end than what I can find in a Cabela's or Bass Pro.

4 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

.........I was thinking someone would recommend something nylon/fabric with a grip but maybe higher end than what I can find in a Cabela's or Bass Pro.

I prefer nylon over leather. My favorite nylon sling is the Browning All Season Web Sling. It is both a shoulder and backpack sling.I learned, however, that since I always carry a daybag on my back, it precludes effective backpack carry of the rifle. Regardless, the All Seasons sling opens up and closes down in a second with an easy operated slide buckle. After the rubber Slogan sling, it is my favorite sling.

• Thanks 1

I prefer a narrow sling that bites vs the 70’s broad padded slings. They are constantly sliding or being pulled off the shoulder.

• Thanks 1

I prefer a sling that has a nylon strap with a rubberized neoprene pad. It had plenty of grip and some give to it. It absorbs the small amount of shock from walking. I have a Butlercreek on my 7mm mag. that I have had for about 10 years and Winchester one on my Turkey gun.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

I'm waiting to hit the Powerball, and then will simply have my gunbearer carry my rifle until game appears.

Your gun bearer?

Do you have a photo of her? :)

• Haha 1