Rifle Slings

NatFoot

On 1/2/2021 at 9:14 PM, NatFoot said:

Awesome. Ok...I can definitely see the benefit there.

That'd be a great gun for grizzly country as well, on a 45-70.....

Thanks @Doug!

I'll be ordering one of these as well.

I have one of these on a lever bear gun.  Fast, easy, and comfy.  I love it.

17x7

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2021 at 12:44 PM, Kiwakwe said:

They are different, never used one but looks interesting:

@Doug @17x7

I ended up purchasing one like I said I would. Took the swivels a little bit to get here, but definitely interesting.

I can see the attraction but can also see where they would be difficult with a backpack.

I need to see how they work with a small chest rig by HPG next.

I hope it works out for you.

A buddy of mine, the one who told me about them, used it while still hunting in the thick forest. He had it slung so that it was across his chest as if he was holding it in preparation for a quick shot.  The sling helped to take some of the weight off his arms. In the thicker stuff, you want to keep movement to a minimum, so holding your rifle so that you only have to raise it to your cheek is what you want. Shots are close.

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2020 at 4:03 PM, NatFoot said:

Sorry - I posted the rifle elsewhere and should've clarified. Hunting rifle. 

PXL_20201228_153113821~2.jpg

Sorry, I hadn't noticed the question before.    Nice rifle.  "I approve."  (That means I have one, too. :))   I didn't really like the textured stock so I ordered mine with the gray/green solid colored stock.   Those have about been phased out.    What caliber?   I went with .308 .. would rather have had a 7mm-08 but that wasn't available with the stock I wanted.    Looks like you went with Talley ringmounts?   Best option out there IMHO .. when you go with a truly UL rifle adding heavy steel base 'n' rings doesn't make much sense.     What did you choose for a scope?   Leupold, I can see that much. 

For a sling, I have an old Uncle Mike's nylon sling which has a fairly wide pad, maybe 1.5-2 inches, but not very thick so it is not heavy, and it has a rubber strip up the inside which keeps it from sliding off my shoulder.   It comes from far in my past.   Some time back there I sewed some of the straps so they don't adjust (including coming loose and falling off dropping the rifle) except at the base of the shoulder pad piece.

Here's mine.  You'll notice I removed the brake and installed the thread protector.   Optics .. Leupold 2.5-8X, B&C.   Though Kimber probably offers the best factory trigger in the biz, I could not tune the last irregularity out of this one so I got a replacement from TriggerTech.   I backed the pull weight clear down, then turned it in 4 clicks.   Probably 28 ounces?    Very workable ... very predictable.  

1296052739_DSCN09781.thumb.JPG.c1fbd4ca310b267ebb65beee26a8481c.JPG

MIB

PS: The pack is another new toy ... The North Face "Recon".   So far the best day pack I've found for BF "research".   It's got enough organization to keep stuff, well, organized.   Particularly nice when I'm doing audio recording as I hike.

• Upvote 1

On 12/28/2020 at 7:03 PM, NatFoot said:

PXL_20201228_153113821~2.jpg

Is that the Kimber Mountain Ascent? That's a beautiful rifle...and light too!!

Edited by wiiawiwb

7 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Is that the Kimber Mountain Ascent? That's a beautiful rifle...and light too!!

It is!

I shot this in last week....I've never fired a rifle straight from the gun store that was so perfectly sighted in. It was almost unreal.

@MIB the scope is a Leupold VX-3i 10x40.

For the both of you...or anyone interested...

The rifle didn't kick nearly as bad as I imagined, but it's by far the loudest 30-06 I've ever fired. I was not wearing hearing protection (forgot them in CT and was only firing a few rounds) and after the first shot my ears were ringing to high heaven. 

What a great setup all the way around. The ported barrel, which is a great feature to have, makes it a tad louder. That rifle comes in a number of other calibers to choose from (.308, 7mm, 6.5 Creedmore).  How did chose the .30-06 from amongst them?

When I go to the gun club, I wear plugs and muffs.  Your ears would still be ringing!

Edited by wiiawiwb

Yes. Forgot to mention again that I went with .30-06.

It's all about ammo availability for me and what I have the most of. I like to keep things simple in similar calibers. 

2 hours ago, NatFoot said:

.......it's by far the loudest 30-06 I've ever fired.........

That's why I don't get muzzle brakes, unless it's on a 12 lb 50 BMG or some similar artillery piece.

3 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

What a great setup all the way around. The ported barrel, which is a great feature to have, makes it a tad louder. That rifle comes in a number of other calibers to choose from (.308, 7mm, 6.5 Creedmore).  How did chose the .30-06 from amongst them?

When I go to the gun club, I wear plugs and muffs.  Your ears would still be ringing!

In my book, a "tad" is a small difference, a footstep, not a gaping fricking chasm Evel Kinevil would have a tough time jumping.

On 2/7/2021 at 7:26 PM, Huntster said:

That's why I don't get muzzle brakes, unless it's on a 12 lb 50 BMG or some similar artillery piece.

Even though I use ear plugs while practicing and such, when it comes to hunting, I don't use them. I had to have hearing tests every year for my job and you can definitely tell when I got my muzzle break when comparing the tests.