Willam Roe Encounter question

norseman

http://texascryptidhunter.blogspot.com/2015/01/sasquatch-classics-william-roe-encounter.html?m=1

Hey guys! I have a question. Roe described the creature eating leaves from brush.

Can anyone tell me what species of brush that would be?

Catmandoo, here is another account of someone with a gun having the drop on a Bigfoot!

My thoughts are that if we can find out what it was eating that might narrow down our searches abit at least in the Pac NW.

• Upvote 2

I just checked with Thomas, and he's never heard or seen any mention of the type of vegetation the creature was eating. He and I were at the site a year or so ago, and the riverbank where the sighting occurred is mostly alder scrub with some blackberry bushes and other shrubbery. We did not see any huckleberries or wild strawberry plants. It's possible the sasquatch was stripping berries and leaves from the blackberry bushes; I've seen black bears do exactly that.

Sorry, wrong sighting. I was referring to one on the Anderson River, near Boston Bar, BC, in 1997. The circumstances were very similar, as the viewer in this case was also bear hunting, and saw a creature pulling branches to its mouth and stripping leaves, and possibly berries, off the branches with its mouth from about 80 feet away across the small river.

Edited by BC witness
  • Thanks 1

One way to find out would be to go back and find out. One would just need to find the mine. There is allot of truth in this man's testimony of what he encountered. Yes, He had a chance to pull the trigger. But he held back. Since the creature he called "it" looked Human. There is not much of a defense argument if the creature does not physically attack you. So far this is what has been shown over and over by this creature. Even on camera by Patty.

Sure we can look for a food resource to hunt one. But how will one explain their DNA? If they came back Human 99%, Chances are you will be going to jail. It might not matter if we have found a new species. The law might think differently. I am all in for killing one and that is only if it is a rogue creature. But there are some here where I live in Michigan that will not hunt these creatures. I agree. They need to be observed in the wild. It seems that Roe Like what he saw in this creature. It had attitude. I believe that Roe somehow showed it respect in his own way by grinning at it.

In my own experience I felt the same way. You kind of have to give them respect. There are good hearts and then there are bad hearts. It seems that Roe was of a good heart.  For this creature to turn it's back on this human. It must have known something about this man. To keep on walking without worry It had to have known more about this man. We should think very hard about taking a specimen and think more about observation.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

So many stories. To review the 'classic stories', go to Bigfoot Encounters.  William Roe assigned the event to October 1955.  Roe did an Affidavit procedure on Aug. 26th, 1957, nearly 2 years after the event.   WOW. 

Using dietary vegetation may have seasonal limitations as compared to a food item that is offered year round. The natural vegetation has possiblities to be nutrition, a snack, medicinal and a laxative / antidiarrhea.

ShadowBorn, you show in intuitive sensitivity to these creatures. What you say about simply observing them would be possible but only after they are proved to exist. Winter is an important time of year which could provide opportunities we normally would not have. A trackway in snow isn't simply an offer for tracking them, it is a unique offer to prove their very existence without even having them close by. I think we all pretty much get this by now. But winter isn't an easy time of year in which to conduct research as most understand research. Trackways in snow can present a kind of seasonal shift in the way we approach the existence question by allowing us to collect a different kind of physical evidence that is acceptable to science. Searching for footprints in snow from a vehicle can cover a lot of ground in just a few hours and can be done anywhere at any time because DNA in such environments last quite a long time. Just something to think about.

The peak in question is just west of the flat that headwaters both the Canoe river and the Fraser river. About 270 miles north of the border.

CDDEFC71-AB22-4CCD-933B-CA779496E764.png

4 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

One way to find out would be to go back and find out. One would just need to find the mine. There is allot of truth in this man's testimony of what he encountered. Yes, He had a chance to pull the trigger. But he held back. Since the creature he called "it" looked Human. There is not much of a defense argument if the creature does not physically attack you. So far this is what has been shown over and over by this creature. Even on camera by Patty.

Sure we can look for a food resource to hunt one. But how will one explain their DNA? If they came back Human 99%, Chances are you will be going to jail. It might not matter if we have found a new species. The law might think differently. I am all in for killing one and that is only if it is a rogue creature. But there are some here where I live in Michigan that will not hunt these creatures. I agree. They need to be observed in the wild. It seems that Roe Like what he saw in this creature. It had attitude. I believe that Roe somehow showed it respect in his own way by grinning at it.

In my own experience I felt the same way. You kind of have to give them respect. There are good hearts and then there are bad hearts. It seems that Roe was of a good heart.  For this creature to turn it's back on this human. It must have known something about this man. To keep on walking without worry It had to have known more about this man. We should think very hard about taking a specimen and think more about observation.  

I won’t turn this into a philosophical debate. But by knowing what the creature was eating in October? Helps pattern the creature.

What individuals choose to do with that information is up to them.

5 hours ago, norseman said:

I won’t turn this into a philosophical debate. But by knowing what the creature was eating in October? Helps pattern the creature.

That is not what I am looking for either. But Roe did go looking for evidence after his sighting. 

I wanted to find out if it lived on vegetation entirely or ate meat as well, so I went down and looked for signs. I found it in five different places, and although I examined it thoroughly, could find no hair or shells of bugs or insects. So I believe it was strictly a vegetarian. (TCH note: It was assumed by both John Green and Ivan T. Sanderson that Roe was referring to fecal matter located in the sighting location. In my mind, this is obviously the correct interpretation.)

Apparently this creature must have been eating just leaves.  I am not sure what might be growing in that general area in that month. But would be a good idea to find out. I am not sure how one could possibly pattern this creature on a individual sighting. We would have to pattern more individuals. I am more into what he was able to describe.

The fact that he was twenty feet from the subject helps us understand this one creature. He ( Roe ) was able to give out good details about this individual creature.  The details that he gave about the way it ate. The way it's face looked and even it's teeth. How it's teeth were flat but had no pointed teeth between the incisors and premolars of a mammal, often greatly enlarged in carnivores. Not to many people say this about this creature. They do not even talk about their ears.

Finally the wild thing must have got my scent, for it looked directly at me through an opening in the brush. A look of amazement crossed its face. It looked so comical at the moment I had to grin. Still in a crouched position, it backed up three or four short steps, then straightened up to its full height and started to walk rapidly back the way it had come. For a moment it watched me over its shoulder as it went, not exactly afraid, but as though it wanted no contact with anything strange.

Now here is something else that has me puzzled. At first he thought that it must have been a movie production. But he backed away from that idea since his process of thought at the time was on the creature. He never said anything about being distressed over seeing this creature. He was physically observing it. Since he describes that in the paragraph I posted above. Only very few get that chance.

It is odd that he would call himself strange at the end of the quoted paragraph. Why would he place that thought of what this creature might be thinking? His intentions changed. My thought is? at what point did his intentions change. The point when he first observed it or after it went up on two feet and walked away. Soory for my long rant or whatever it might be.

But I am not sure that knowing what it eats is going to make a difference in getting close to these creatures. There is no pattern to these creatures if there was, we be on top of them. 

I think it depends on WHY it was eating whatever it was eating.    If it was a primary food source, then knowing might help with patterns.   If whatever it was, it was eaten for medicinal purposes (say willow bark / leaves), then it's not of much use because that probably wasn't what brought the bigfoot to the general area.     (I suppose knowing whether the information is useful or not is itself useful in that it tells you whether further pursuit down that path is productive or wasted.)

MIB

Roe knew enough about the creature and its name to call it a Sasquatch. I don't know how Roe knew it had slept in the "bed" that he found for a couple of nights. I also think the creature lived in the area because Roe said it walked up to the shrub and began eating the leaves, so it already knew where these shrubs were. It also makes me wonder about whether or not a Sasquatch actually does know someone is in their area ahead of time, which is determined by wind direction and activity. Roe was an experienced hunter and the road work must have been a disturbance at least reasonably close to habitat and Roe had been in the area around the mine before and shot a bear so firearms were something familiar? Breasts in October, like Patty, could be an indication of the mating cycle so it may be reinforcing BobbyO's proposals that the leaves of certain berry plants are birthing aids or a relief from discomfort and may also say that pregnant females do not run. As with most such encounters, there remains more questions than answers.

Edited by hiflier

11 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

........William Roe assigned the event to October 1955.........

October sure seems to be a hot month for good quality sightings of female sasquatches.

• Upvote 1

It may be, however, John Green's database up to the year 2000 has 42 reports that span most of the summer and fall months with a couple in the spring starting in March. Could be time for a really deep look at all the parameters of those reports to see if there's any commonality. Especially where Google Earth terrain studies are concerned. That and the positions of any mines or caves close by to those reports. Authorities placing bars over such entrances may be more involved that simply keeping people safe or away from bats. It might be another way agencies are channeling the creatures away from some areas and into others by not allowing Sasquatches places of refuge from weather like winter, or locations for birthing? Could be a long investigation for one person but I don't think it has ever been done.

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

Could be, Marty, but in Roe's case it seemed more like a drive-thru as he didn't mention the creature carrying anything away. But I'll bet that there are instances in which they do- or they nest close enough that infants can benefit from any plant harvesting. Bears are known to eat leaves in the late fall to create an intestinal block of sorts to help with longevity between their need to defecate. Those that do, and then leave their dens early in spring, will sometimes eat skunk cabbage as a cathartic to help pass the plug.

17 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

So many stories. To review the 'classic stories', go to Bigfoot Encounters.  William Roe assigned the event to October 1955.  Roe did an Affidavit procedure on Aug. 26th, 1957, nearly 2 years after the event.   WOW. 

Using dietary vegetation may have seasonal limitations as compared to a food item that is offered year round. The natural vegetation has possiblities to be nutrition, a snack, medicinal and a laxative / antidiarrhea.

Wow means what? Ostman was like 20 years or something?

Until we can find out what species it was snacking on we have no way of knowing if its a food source or a medicine…

I will check out BE for any additional info, thanks!

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic