Willam Roe Encounter question

norseman

The thing about these classic encounters is that there was never nothing to influence these witnesses. Today we have the internet where the info is pushed at us at lightning speeds. Back then if someone saw one of these creatures there was nothing where they could pick up and fake that sighting. I am talking way back to the 1800's where sightings could even be harder to fake.

Now we have CGI and better suits with better production of fake prints. Les Stroud proved that in one of his episodes with Dr. Meldrum. I myself have even looked for in my area of research.  That is when one places themselves in danger for the sake of research. Roe had none of this. Did exactly what anyone who saw something strange would do. He believed in what he saw and proved it by doing what he did two years later. By drawing up an affidavit on what he had experienced. 

There are so many question that remain around on what he witnessed.  Like why this female by it's self in this area? Was it there because it needed nutrition. Again it comes down to the plant life that was growing there at the time. Could this creature be looking for a mate at that time? could this be why it walked away with that strange laugh making those sounds. Why it looked back so strangely at Roe as it walked out of sight. Why it wanted no part with Roe. Roe was not just it's type.

Here I am going even further in my thinking. Could the fall time be the mating season for these creatures. Where the males prove themselves as males by Hunting down particular meat source. While females eat certain plant life. Could the nesting be related to females and the other type of shelters be that from males. There are all kind of questions that can be asked that can get us closer to observation of these creatures.  But classic encounters are the best encounters.

Sorry but I have to put in here Go Michigan ! Go Blue! 

There are a couple of approaches to the dietary activity.  One could travel to Mica Mnt. when the snow is gone and scout out vegetation.

Ethnobiologists have put verbal legends and histories  of First Nation peoples into print.  They would know what Sasquatch eat.

Ethnobotanists have profiled the flora of Canada.  Check out the category 'Ethnomedicine of Western Canada'. ( might work for Washington )

October is a time for winter preparedness so I would think about factors like;  hair quality / hair growth, circulation and joint health.

I have read Roe and Ostman before and I am undecided on both accounts.  The Roe Affidavit gets posted ver batim on the internet. The posting on BE is from Ivan T. Sanderson, from his book " Abominable Snowman: Legend Come to Life".  With Roe, the 2 year delay is due to an interview and John Green requesting a signed statement. There are days when I can't remember what I had for breakfast. Good luck with 2 plus years.

European settlers were exposed to legends and tracks of Sasq' ets very early on.  When explorer and map maker David Thompson was traveling west, his party found large tracks near present day Jasper, Alberta in 1811. 14" long by 8" wide. They could not arrive at a conclusion since over lapping bear prints were a possibilty. The scouts did not want to follow the tracks because their rifles were set up for fowling. The tracks were recorded in Thompsons printed journals but I do not know the printing date or availability of his records during that era.

Roe and Ostman were exposed to the legends / stories of gorillas, wildmen, Harry Giants and Mountain Giants to name a few.

Jacko, the hoax, was created in 1884, near Yale, B.C.  Early for a 'gorilla' hoax.

The word 'Sasquatch' was derived from the Salish word "Sasq' ets" in the 1930's. Early stories can not use the word Sasquatch.

There is a humorous ending to the Jacko hoax.  In 1884, J.B. Good printed : "truth is stranger than fiction, and facts are stubborn things".

9 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

The word 'Sasquatch' was derived from the Salish word "Sasq' ets" in the 1930's. Early stories can not use the word Sasquatch.

Interesting point.

I believe Samuel de Champlain spoke about his voyage to Canada in 1603 and 1604. Upon his return to France, he described stories told by the Micmac Indians which spoke about a giant hairy beast called Gougou. This may be one of the earliest recorded Bigfoot sightings. He was later taken to task by Marc Lescarbot who questioned his stories.

There was a story in 1759 by Major Robert Rogers of a giant hairy beast that he and his rangers encountered in northern Vermont. This was described by Kenneth Roberts in his 1937 book, Northwest Passage.

In 1818, the Exeter Watchman newspaper (Sackett's Harbor) published a report of a hairy wild man running around in the woods.

It's hard to imagine the incentive for these folks to whip something up like this of thin air.  Where would they have heard or read before about a giant hairy beast?  I'm sure public shaming and ridicule would carry more consequence then than it would today.  None of these are evidence; they are merely anecdotal but show that people have been speaking about this phenomenon for over 400 years.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2021 at 6:56 PM, norseman said:

http://texascryptidhunter.blogspot.com/2015/01/sasquatch-classics-william-roe-encounter.html?m=1

Hey guys! I have a question. Roe described the creature eating leaves from brush.

Can anyone tell me what species of brush that would be?

Catmandoo, here is another account of someone with a gun having the drop on a Bigfoot!

My thoughts are that if we can find out what it was eating that might narrow down our searches abit at least in the Pac NW.

Not sure if this will reveal anything but here is a start for you:

The drier, rainshadow areas of southwestern British Columbia have small pockets of grassland, usually on warm, rocky, south-facing slopes, and are associated with dry woodland of Douglas-fir, arbutus, and Garry oak. These vernal grasslands are dominated by annual species of Bromus (bromegrass), Vulpia (fescue), and Aira (hairgrass). They include many introduced species as well as showy, spring-flowering forbs, and are closely related to the annual grasslands of Oregon and California.

You got to be pretty hard core to shoot a creature that has features of a human female for no real reason.  It was not threatening him.  No way he could harvest the meat.  In 1950's there is no money to be made with a BF kill even if you could hump it back to civilization.  Collect samples for DNA and science, nope.  Just my 2 cents.

2 hours ago, NCBFr said:

Not sure if this will reveal anything but here is a start for you:

The drier, rainshadow areas of southwestern British Columbia have small pockets of grassland, usually on warm, rocky, south-facing slopes, and are associated with dry woodland of Douglas-fir, arbutus, and Garry oak. These vernal grasslands are dominated by annual species of Bromus (bromegrass), Vulpia (fescue), and Aira (hairgrass). They include many introduced species as well as showy, spring-flowering forbs, and are closely related to the annual grasslands of Oregon and California.

You got to be pretty hard core to shoot a creature that has features of a human female for no real reason.  It was not threatening him.  No way he could harvest the meat.  In 1950's there is no money to be made with a BF kill even if you could hump it back to civilization.  Collect samples for DNA and science, nope.  Just my 2 cents.

This happened in SE BC right above me. About 60 miles west of Jasper AB.

The William Roe event is a story. We will never know what the Sasquatch was eating but we can speculate for many more pages.  A WAG is alder ( shrub ) leaves. Searching the Canadian Library system and The Royal British Columbia Museum files for the work of ethnobiologists is time consuming. Learning about vegetation adds to your research area inventory.  Animals and edible vegetation is a good combo.

There is a Canadian who is highly regarded in the field of ethnobotany. Nancy J. Turner has several books on plants and First Nation peoples.  They are available on Amazon in paperback format. No kindle.

For western Washington, Erna Gunther, also on Amazon.

There is a lot of reading to be done this winter.

13 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I believe Samuel de Champlain spoke about his voyage to Canada in 1603 and 1604. Upon his return to France, he described stories told by the Micmac Indians which spoke about a giant hairy beast called Gougou. This may be one of the earliest recorded Bigfoot sightings. He was later taken to task by Marc Lescarbot who questioned his stories.

There was a story in 1759 by Major Robert Rogers of a giant hairy beast that he and his rangers encountered in northern Vermont. This was described by Kenneth Roberts in his 1937 book, Northwest Passage.

In 1818, the Exeter Watchman newspaper (Sackett's Harbor) published a report of a hairy wild man running around in the woods.

It's hard to imagine the incentive for these folks to whip something up like this of thin air.  Where would they have heard or read before about a giant hairy beast?  I'm sure public shaming and ridicule would carry more consequence then than it would today.  None of these are evidence; they are merely anecdotal but show that people have been speaking about this phenomenon for over 400 years.

Tirademan's Historical Newspaper Archives is a place to look over 'old' sightings. I think Tirademan had about 10 pages posted posthumously.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

The William Roe event is a story. We will never know what the Sasquatch was eating but we can speculate for many more pages.  A WAG is alder ( shrub ) leaves. Searching the Canadian Library system and The Royal British Columbia Museum files for the work of ethnobiologists is time consuming. Learning about vegetation adds to your research area inventory.  Animals and edible vegetation is a good combo.

There is a Canadian who is highly regarded in the field of ethnobotany. Nancy J. Turner has several books on plants and First Nation peoples.  They are available on Amazon in paperback format. No kindle.

For western Washington, Erna Gunther, also on Amazon.

There is a lot of reading to be done this winter.

Looking at the pictures from the Rocky Mountain Goat? (Link I supplied) The mine is above tree line. Alpine tundra, a few alpine firs. Definitely not lodgepole pine…. The encounter either happened way down the slope or something isn’t right.

Mica mountain is over 8700 ft. 8700 ft in central Idaho is dodgy in September! Except now we are talking about SE British Columbia up north. Leaves should have turned color  and snow should be falling that far north and that late in the year.

Have always thought this was a very credible story! That description in 1955 of what Roe said he observed has to be one of the best sightings ever. So much detail in that report!  

• gigantor featured this topic
2 hours ago, norseman said:

Looking at the pictures from the Rocky Mountain Goat? (Link I supplied) The mine is above tree line. Alpine tundra, a few alpine firs. Definitely not lodgepole pine…. The encounter either happened way down the slope or something isn’t right.

The link that you posted has the mine at 7,000' altitude. The 66 year old story does not have correct altitude seasonal vegetation.  Other mine locations on that mountain are not posted. No conclusions can be made.

• gigantor unfeatured this topic