Looking for any DNA studies related to Sasquatch

Darby Orcutt

I would appreciate any help in filling out my knowledge of any attempted genetic studies of alleged Sasquatch samples.

What I am aware of:

-the Sykes study, which was peer reviewed and published,

-the self-published Ketchum et al. study,

-that Todd Disotell's lab at NYU looked at some samples from time to time, most in connection with a media production (and results apparently *only* reported in media productions, no publications)

-the recent Expedition Bigfoot finding of supposed chimpanzee DNA, sequenced at UCLA (again, released only as a broad result in media, no publication)

-a few other analyses that have been reported only in media productions (I know, for example, that Monster Quest used a commercial lab for at least one analysis in addition to coordinating on others with Todd Disotell)

-at least a couple amateur BF investigators have reported to me sending samples to commercial labs (I have been sent at least a couple of these analyses by folks who were looking for help in understanding them)

-Haskell Hart is currently examining eDNA sequences he's had run by a commercial lab (is anyone else attempting this?)

Beyond this, there seem to be some rumored analyses that I can't actually confirm were even conducted, and there seem fairly widespread hearsay of results of "unidentified primate" being received, but I cannot find any actual source of such a finding - though maybe something was presented that way at some point on a TV program?

What am I missing? Has anyone here conducted or commissioned DNA analyses of alleged Sasquatch samples? (Even if they turned out to be identifiable as something else). I would love to know, please.

Thank you all in advance for your help!

• Upvote 1

If including Dr. Sykes study you would like to know of another then this may be of interest. In 2018 Nat Geo ran a documentary called The Lost Kingdom of the Yeti. It involved eight scientists who went to Bhutan four from the UK and four from France. They spoke to the locals there and went on expeditions looking for evidence. One of the scientists from France was Dr. Eva Bellemain who the eDNA expert on the team. They had a sequencer with them and ran some samples collected from footprints they had found in some snow. The test results showed bear. I did email Dr. Bellemain but received no response. As far as I know, she still works at SpyGen collecting and running snow samples to track polar bears.

The other, of course, were the soils samples collected by Dr. Meldrum of Idaho State from under the centers of the large nests that were discovered in May of 2015. Dr. Todd Disotell ran the tests and stated that the DNA results showed the normal animals of the region plus degraded Human DNA that was too degraded to show a novel primate.

Interestingly enough, when looking over the results of the Ketchum project, Dr HV Hart noted some sample sources from two different regions that showed some identical, very rare, mutations that could suggest something novel and encouraged further sampling as a way to support the findings.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, hiflier said:

.......Interestingly enough, when looking over the results of the Ketchum project, Dr HV Hart noted some sample sources from two different regions that showed some identical, very rare, mutations that could suggest something novel and encouraged further sampling as a way to support the findings.

This is the gift of the Ketchum project that is regularly disregarded or discounted. I believe that it may well prove to be a key for the future.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Huntster said:

This is the gift of the Ketchum project that is regularly disregarded or discounted. I believe that it may well prove to be a key for the future.

Yep, kind of what I was thinking. And it may be those very mutations could be what Dr. Hart would be interested in looking for in his OK water samples. If anyone we know is capable of doing deep analysis of DNA test results, and then honestly TELL us what the results show, it would be Dr. Hart. He's is the right person for the job.

I'm digging in to see if I can locate any other DNA study conclusions for our OP who already appears to be quite well informed on the subject.

BFF Patron

These very rare mutations that are spoken of in this thread should have a name and/or specific description, who can find that out?  

Lets not relax until we post those up. :thumbsup:

• Upvote 2

BFF Patron

Guess the operative question then is "HOW UNCOMMON" in humans and "HOW COMMON" in other primates, meaning numerical data and in which other primates with a breakdown of each mathematically if possible.  I would imagine the larger paper may cover some of this ground.  I am backfilling here since I have not studied the papers as yet.  Automotive work seems to have taken a frontseat to Sasquatch lately. ;)

3 minutes ago, bipedalist said:

......Automotive work seems to have taken a frontseat to Sasquatch lately. 

Let me guess: electronics?  

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

You got it boss,  all grounds cleaned now because of no start, new battery clamps, new ignition switch about to put it all back together.  Will require a fuel pump eventually too, got it all ready but testing out the electronic repair first, gotta get there on wheels sometimes to find Sasquatch to use your electronics and dna evidence collection toolkit.  And of course while one sits under repair the other is developing emissions related part hiccups. Sort of like bird-dogging BF dna and evidence. 

Edited by bipedalist
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bipedalist said:

......gotta get there on wheels sometimes to find Sasquatch to use your electronics........

I wish the sasquatch hunters using dna and electronic methods all the best, but electronics tend to slay my goat, and dna is turning out to be just as much frustrating to me. I just want to get my eyeballs on one for as many moments as possible.......

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, bipedalist said:

Guess the operative question then is "HOW UNCOMMON" in humans and "HOW COMMON" in other primates, meaning numerical data and in which other primates with a breakdown of each mathematically if possible.  I would imagine the larger paper may cover some of this ground.  I am backfilling here since I have not studied the papers as yet.  Automotive work seems to have taken a frontseat to Sasquatch lately. ;)

Hey, my friend, one has to have an automobile. And you do have a good point, uncommon in Humans doesn't mean zero. I think the percentage of "uncommon" did get mention though it may take some time to dig out.

BFF Patron
31 minutes ago, hiflier said:

I don't really have a name or a description but I have these:

460976892_Table22.JPG.8d8d29ff388ac3d1fae64999ffc917d1.JPG663841944_UnusualExtraMutations.JPG.3503da148b2b79ac2767967cce964ab9.JPG

So you have the code letter names of the genes involved and in one case the heteroplasmic mutation specific to BC which is interesting.  I wonder if that latter involves something worthy of further analysis.  Will have to study up on that.  The not in Genbank or in phylotree reference to the OK and ?unknown samples is interesting and wonder if that would wind up in that wastebasket parts bin called metbank or whatever?  Lots of questions and need further understanding of these papers before I can figure others out.  Thanks for sharing the charts.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Huntster said:

I wish the sasquatch hunters using dna and electronic methods all the best, but electronics tend to slay my goat, and dna is turning out to be just as much frustrating to me. I just want to get my eyeballs on one for as many moments as possible.......

You and me both, Huntster. And yeah, the DNA front has been frustrating but it's application to the Hairy One hasn't been consistent. Dr. Hart has the right idea, just go out where something has occurred and sample some kind of medium. But time plus the cost of sequencing, even though there may be workarounds, is a deal breaker for many.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bipedalist said:

So you have the code letter names of the genes involved and in one case the heteroplasmic mutation specific to BC which is interesting.  I wonder if that latter involves something worthy of further analysis.  Will have to study up on that.  The not in Genbank or in phylotree reference to the OK and ?unknown samples is interesting and wonder if that would wind up in that wastebasket parts bin called metbank or whatever?  Lots of questions and need further understanding of these papers before I can figure others out.  Thanks for sharing the charts.  

The charts are courtesy of Dr. Haskell V Hart and are in his thread here on the BFF.

• Upvote 1

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic