Looking for any DNA studies related to Sasquatch

Darby Orcutt

1 minute ago, Foxhill said:

Your much kinder than me, but I'll try.....a primatologist is given/harvest samples to test, and they come back as chimp.

There are really only two choices in my mind contamination or hoax.

She handles primates or is in close contact with them on a regular basis, I'm going to assume her outdoor gear is not the stuff that one would keep super clean, boots, gloves, jackets ect......pretty easy to see how contamination would occur.

I also saw on her website she has exotic pets, it didn't list what they were.

Great points! And these things would need to be ruled in or out. (And maybe could be if one had the actual sequences to look at.)

And yes, I try to be kind and charitable. ;) 

16 minutes ago, Darby Orcutt said:

(And maybe could be if one had the actual sequences to look at.)

And maybe, as you iterated earlier, you could manage to get a look at the data? If you did, you may also see Pan troglodyte sequences as would perhaps Dr. Hart. And, as Darby Orcutt stated, the finding could be behind some BF sightings in that area. After all, the team was there because of the sightings and data in their supposed algorithym. And Chimpanzees can run between 5 and 6 feet tall depending on species. One thing not mentioned in the list of possibilities is a pet, illegal or otherwise. Or, on the more humorous side of things, a refuge taking their charges out on a field trip ;) 

Edited by hiflier

BFF Patron
5 minutes ago, Darby Orcutt said:

Great points! And these things would need to be ruled in or out. (And maybe could be if one had the actual sequences to look at.)

And yes, I try to be kind and charitable. ;) 

I'm currently settling my parents' estate, there are articles of clothes in this house from long ago, a pair of boots that mostly likely would yield elephant DNA.

This is the divergence of logic that occurs between us, if I didn't know where it came from, I would no sooner be looking for an elephant in this house than looking for a chimp troupe in Kentucky. No doubt yours is a much more scientific approach, but considering the subject matter...meh for me I'll skip over a few of the normal processes of the scientific method......for now.

Don't get me wrong I'm always up for an adventure and if that's how we gotta roll....I'm in!!! 👍

• Upvote 1

In either case, Chimp DNA was the lab results, but an adventure is where it's at, Foxhill, elephant in the room or otherwise.

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron
4 minutes ago, hiflier said:

In either case, Chimp DNA was the lab results, but an adventure is where it's at, Foxhill, elephant in the room or otherwise.

You are correct sir!

BFF Patron

Wow, thanks so much  @hvhart for the special access, I have not had time to purchase and read lately.  I plan on it though as this is the most cogent  explanation for how an unknown can be narrowed down to something novel probably exists out there.  

Edited by bipedalist

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • 2 months later...

@hvhartThanks for sharing that chapter! Is this your book? 
“The Sasquatch Genome Project: A Failed DNA Study” I just added to my Amazon cart😊 I am new here and new to the Sasquatch/Bigfoot research world (true interest and research began about 6 months ago.) I’m slowly starting to build up my own library of resources. Absolutely love learning about the DNA aspect of it all. I have always been so fascinated by DNA testing and sequencing. I think in the last 10 years science in respect to DNA testing and genome discoveries has been amazing. I’m a big fan of Svante Paabo and would love to know what he thinks about this subject. From a scientists point of view, do you think if the scientific world opened up more to the idea that this species is out there and started taking all the circumstantial evidence seriously, that it would be long before a true genome could be sequenced and found? 

On 2/5/2022 at 1:30 PM, Huntster said:

The OP did not mention the Margaryan report on Zana which rejected Sykes earlier mention of an unknown marker of African origin.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ggn2.10051

I recently read this, and researched as much as I could to find more information on this. In the case of Zana, from what I could find and read. It still seems to be unknown exactly how Zana and her tribe ended up bordering Georgia/Russia. But it was likely during the Ottoman rule, and it does seem likely they may have been brought over as slaves at one point from east Africa. I don’t think she was an Almasty or Bigfoot, but that this is likely a sad case of kidnap and imprisonment:( Would love to hear others opinions or if anyone has more info!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MegWhite said:

@hvhartThanks for sharing that chapter! Is this your book? 
“The Sasquatch Genome Project: A Failed DNA Study”

@MegWhite Welcome! Haskell did the Herculean job of re-analyzing all of the Ketchum, et al. study data. I have BLASTed some of the data myself, and in every case gotten the same results that he did, as have others.

1 hour ago, MegWhite said:

From a scientists point of view, do you think if the scientific world opened up more to the idea that this species is out there and started taking all the circumstantial evidence seriously, that it would be long before a true genome could be sequenced and found? 

FYI, I started this thread originally to try to make sure I am aware of any genetic testing that has been done previously, as I am currently beginning work with two other faculty from my university on a study of morphologically anomalous and alleged Sasquatch physical samples. If Sasquatch is indeed an undiscovered biological species, the genetic sequencing would be what opens up "the scientific world" to that idea, rather than the other way around. I'm hopeful that if this is the case, my colleagues and I may be doing this ourselves soon. Virtually no one has done this sort of study previously, even on a very small scale (like Sykes).

6 minutes ago, Darby Orcutt said:

@MegWhite Welcome! Haskell did the Herculean job of re-analyzing all of the Ketchum, et al. study data. I have BLASTed some of the data myself, and in every case gotten the same results that he did, as have others.

Thank you! I was so excited when I found this website! I am so eager to learn more on the DNA potential for discovery and research. I was reading up on the potential of eDNA being possible to get samples. I would imagine it would be very hard, but potentially I guess you’d have an abundance of material to work with, but would need a ton and time and money to determine what it is you’ve got. Is DNA and eDNA very similar or different in terms of sequencing or identifying what you have? 

16 minutes ago, MegWhite said:

Thank you! I was so excited when I found this website! I am so eager to learn more on the DNA potential for discovery and research. I was reading up on the potential of eDNA being possible to get samples. I would imagine it would be very hard, but potentially I guess you’d have an abundance of material to work with, but would need a ton and time and money to determine what it is you’ve got. Is DNA and eDNA very similar or different in terms of sequencing or identifying what you have? 

Here's an interview I did about this in late December (Note: I am not responsible for the framing of this by the host!):

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Darby Orcutt said:

FYI, I started this thread originally to try to make sure I am aware of any genetic testing that has been done previously, as I am currently beginning work with two other faculty from my university on a study of morphologically anomalous and alleged Sasquatch physical samples. If Sasquatch is indeed an undiscovered biological species, the genetic sequencing would be what opens up "the scientific world" to that idea, rather than the other way around. I'm hopeful that if this is the case, my colleagues and I may be doing this ourselves soon. Virtually no one has done this sort of study previously, even on a very small scale (like Sykes).

That’s fascinating! May I ask which university? I certainly look forward to following along as you release or publish your findings! Do you think genetic testing could be done on the jaw bone of Homo Gardarensis? Or more likely after a genome has been (fingers so crossed) established? From what I could find it was only physically compared and studied and then put away. The only article or document I can find on this subject is here, and I have requested a copy of it out of pure fascination! What if the DNA could be tested now and lead to a huge discovery that could help the Sasquatch world scientifically? (I know I’m of course teaching and romanticizing, but imagine! Lol)  
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/263293017_Inventing_Homo_gardarensis_Prestige_Pressure_and_Human_Evolution_in_Interwar_Scandinavia

3 minutes ago, Darby Orcutt said:

Here's an interview I did about this in late December (Note: I am not responsible for the framing of this by the host!):

Noted! Lol I will take a listen to this very shortly, thank you!