Looking for any DNA studies related to Sasquatch

Darby Orcutt

BFF Patron
4 minutes ago, hiflier said:

You and me both, Huntster. And yeah, the DNA front has been frustrating but it's application to the Hairy One hasn't been consistent. Dr. Hart has the right idea, just go out where something has occurred and sample some kind of medium. But time plus the cost of sequencing, even though there may be workarounds, is a deal breaker for many.

Yep sort of like unknowingly walking out onto a frozen lake and falling through,  it's all in the application of awareness and familiarity of sequence or sequences of topography.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bipedalist said:

The not in Genbank or in phylotree reference to the OK and ?unknown samples is interesting and wonder if that would wind up in that wastebasket parts bin called metbank or whatever?

Yep, that one got me as well a while back. Isn't it ironic that that's where Dr. Hart had his encounter, collected his samples, and has sequence errors that he's working through. Maybe, again, the sequences he's looking at are also not in a GenBank or a phylotree. Coincidence? The thought plickens ;)

BFF Patron
6 minutes ago, bipedalist said:

Yep sort of like unknowingly walking out onto a frozen lake and falling through,  it's all in the application of awareness and familiarity of sequence or sequences of topography.  

..... in some cases, over and over again :whistle:

10 minutes ago, hiflier said:

The charts are courtesy of Dr. Haskell V Hart and are in his thread here on the BFF.

Thanks, I have bounced between threads so much I haven't got thru them both.  

The thread where Dr. Hart showed up after being invited onto the Forum by gigantor is in the BFF Library section. It's called the Sasquatch DNA Project: A Failed Study (eBook available on Amazon). He has papers on Dr. Meldrum's Relict Hominid Inquiry site, which is also here on the Forum.

Edited by hiflier
  • Like 1

I would be interested in hearing more about the “Chimpanzee” DNA found by the Expedition Bigfoot team in Kentucky. Chimpanzees are not indigenous to North America. So unless the sample was from a chimpanzee that escaped from a local zoo or private collection, then that can be used to support the hypothesis that North America is inhabited by a species of unknown primate. 

I’m no expert on DNA, but if the species were closely related to chimpanzees then perhaps the sample taken would be close enough to give that result. 

22 minutes ago, Wooly Booger said:

I would be interested in hearing more about the “Chimpanzee” DNA found by the Expedition Bigfoot team in Kentucky. Chimpanzees are not indigenous to North America. So unless the sample was from a chimpanzee that escaped from a local zoo or private collection, then that can be used to support the hypothesis that North America is inhabited by a species of unknown primate. 

I’m no expert on DNA, but if the species were closely related to chimpanzees then perhaps the sample taken would be close enough to give that result. 

You raise a good point but sadly it seems, from a source I can't put my finger on, that the Expedition: Bigfoot team had used Chimpamzee pheromone chips in the past in the hopes of luring a creature in. Out of curiosity, I emailed the person who had announced that the results were that of the Chimp's genus. I had asked if a Chimp pheromone chip would be a source for Chimp DNA and the word I got was 'yes,' a pheromone chip can yield Chimp DNA. But the person never said the Kentucky DNA definitely came from a pheromone chip, and I didn't ask, because there no way the person would have the answer to that.

As to the rest, there are a couple of Chimpanzee rescue facilities in Kentucky. So bottom line is how Chimp DNA got into a Kentucky forest, and under a large wood structure and into the soil at around the time the Expedition: Bigfoot team showed up on the site is anyone's guess. I mean, what are the chances of that kind of a coincidence happening?

Edited by hiflier

4 hours ago, hiflier said:

If including Dr. Sykes study you would like to know of another then this may be of interest. In 2018 Nat Geo ran a documentary called The Lost Kingdom of the Yeti. It involved eight scientists who went to Bhutan four from the UK and four from France. They spoke to the locals there and went on expeditions looking for evidence. One of the scientists from France was Dr. Eva Bellemain who the eDNA expert on the team. They had a sequencer with them and ran some samples collected from footprints they had found in some snow. The test results showed bear. I did email Dr. Bellemain but received no response. As far as I know, she still works at SpyGen collecting and running snow samples to track polar bears.

Thanks for reminding me of this. I was thinking specifically of samples from North America, but this is good to be aware of also.

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

The OP did not mention the Margaryan report on Zana which rejected Sykes earlier mention of an unknown marker of African origin.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ggn2.10051

Yes, there are actually quite a few published re-interpretations of various of Sykes' data, as well as a couple of Ketchum's (including Haskell's book). I am actually for my purposes right now just interested in knowing of original analyses, not reinterpretations of data - but, thank you nonetheless!

46 minutes ago, hiflier said:

I emailed the person who had announced that the results were that of the Chimp's genus. I had asked if a Chimp pheromone chip would be a source for Chimp DNA and the word I got was 'yes,' a pheromone chip can yield Chimp DNA. But the person never said the Kentucky DNA definitely came from a pheromone chip, and I didn't ask, because there no way the person would have the answer to that.

If you wouldn't mind sharing the name and contact info with me, I'd love to reach out to this person at UCLA. I have emailed Dr. Mayor to try to get the sequence data, but imagine with her events schedule it may take a long time to hear back. If so, my email is dcorcutt@ncsu.edu

It is actually quite likely that the sequence data could be used to answer the question of whether the eDNA sample contains DNA from an actual chimpanzee or just a very close relative. Depending on how large and clear the sequence(s) are, I wouldn't be surprised if one of my colleagues could identify it to a specific location and family group on a map, as chimpanzee populations are well-documented. One of my colleagues can literally tell an individual chimpanzee's place of birth within 30 miles using only the DNA of microorganisms in scat.

• Upvote 2

BFF Patron
2 hours ago, bipedalist said:

So you have the code letter names of the genes involved and in one case the heteroplasmic mutation specific to BC which is interesting.  I wonder if that latter involves something worthy of further analysis.  Will have to study up on that.  The not in Genbank or in phylotree reference to the OK and ?unknown samples is interesting and wonder if that would wind up in that wastebasket parts bin called metbank or whatever?  Lots of questions and need further understanding of these papers before I can figure others out.  Thanks for sharing the charts.  

Dr. Hart @hvhart replied in his Library thread about the rarity:  The random occurrence of three rare mutations (7852A, 9083C, and 13209T) in all of these samples is a statistically improbable coincidence."  

These samples being from the SGP though and not necessarily from the collated samples presented in the table above.  Still it gives the identifier for the mutation and statistically  improbable designation which usually means less than one percent.  

Edited by bipedalist
  • Thanks 1

BFF Patron
1 hour ago, hiflier said:

The thread where Dr. Hart showed up after being invited onto the Forum by gigantor is in the BFF Library section. It's called the Sasquatch DNA Project: A Failed Study (eBook available on Amazon). He has papers on Dr. Meldrum's Relict Hominid Inquiry site, which is also here on the Forum.

Thanks I see the short thread and will purchase his book, must have lost some space/time with respect to his studies and publications. 

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Ran out of upvotes but certainly welcome, I found @hvhart s  thread and got thru it since it was short.   I must be bouncing between the eDNA thread and this one.  

15 minutes ago, Darby Orcutt said:

If you wouldn't mind sharing the name and contact info with me, I'd love to reach out to this person at UCLA. I have emailed Dr. Mayor to try to get the sequence data, but imagine with her events schedule it may take a long time to hear back.

First of all, I need to welcome you to the BFF and tell you how good it is to have you here and getting involved in this particular aspect of pursuing the truth. The announcement of the Chimp DNA finding was in an article on the Travel Channel which runs the Expedition: Bigfoot series. The article quoted Ms. Miroslava Muringuia Ramos who, though not a geneticist herself,  heads up the UC system's program for training citizen scientists, equipping them with e-DNA kits, and taking in their field samples. The citizen scientists in the program also get informed on the results of their tested samples.

Since I had a name and a place it was a simple matter of opening a correspondence. It's a cool little story and she was extremely nice to talk with. And since her contact info was public on UC's website I feel comfortable posting it here. I wish you and your colleague much luck on the data. If narrowing down a Chimp's species to a geographical is really possible then maybe contacting the Chimpanzee rescue/refuge outfits in Kentucky (one is around Lexington) may lead to some useful information. Ms. Ramos:  mnmunguia@ucla.edu 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, hiflier said:

First of all, I need to welcome you to the BFF and tell you how good it is to have you here and getting involved in this particular aspect of pursuing the truth. The announcement of the Chimp DNA finding was in an article on the Travel Channel which runs the Expedition: Bigfoot series. The article quoted Ms. Miroslava Muringuia Ramos who, though not a geneticist herself,  heads up the UC system's program for training citizen scientists, equipping them with e-DNA kits, and taking in their field samples. The citizen scientists in the program also get informed on the results of their tested samples.

Since I had a name and a place it was a simple matter of opening a correspondence. It's a cool little story and she was extremely nice to talk with. And since her contact info was public on UC's website I feel comfortable posting it here. I wish you and your colleague much luck on the data. If narrowing down a Chimp's species to a geographical is really possible then maybe contacting the Chimpanzee rescue/refuge outfits in Kentucky (one is around Lexington) may lead to some useful information. Ms. Ramos:  mnmunguia@ucla.edu 

Thank you for this. I had not seen that article, nor the mention of any name, just UCLA as an institution. I will definitely reach out to her asap. Mireya Mayor does public science/citizen science at FIU, so that's likely how they got connected. So much will depend upon the quality and size of found sequences, which is impossible to judge from the scant comments in media outlets, although they clearly at least feel comfortable concluding genus, so I'd be cautiously optimistic that something more could be established. I hope they are willing to share the full data, at least at some point.

My colleagues and I will very soon be examining supposedly morphologically anomalous physical samples collected by individuals. At least for the foreseeable future, we will NOT being doing eDNA studies. If you or others in the Forums have potentially interesting physical samples in hand, You know how to reach me.  :)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic