Could you pull the trigger?

CelticKevin

Question for you all. Let us imagine that NorthWind and I, in our adventuring, come across a dead one. What parts would be most valuable in proving the species? And it has to be light, portable and concealable. Fingers? Hair? Tooth? Video, obviously. Scale measurements, too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

Question for you all. Let us imagine that NorthWind and I, in our adventuring, come across a dead one. What parts would be most valuable in proving the species? And it has to be light, portable and concealable. Fingers? Hair? Tooth? Video, obviously. Scale measurements, too.

I found this.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6427720/

Bone type

In addition to the many environmental factors that affect DNA degradation, intrinsic factors like bone type can play a role in the process of DNA decomposition as well. Bone size and construction can impact skeletal DNA preservation. Larger bones tend to survive better and are therefore differentially available for sampling for genetic analysis. The dense cortical portions of lower limb bones and the harder tissues of teeth tend to be consistently reliable in generating DNA profiles compared to less dense spongy bone [7,15,29–32]. Therefore, an understanding of the skeletal elements most likely to produce a DNA profile should be considered rather than sampling based merely on convenience.

7 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

The head might be a bit too heavy and bulky to take. Ditto the foot, although it might be especially important as a specimen to compare to footprint casts. A hand would be smaller and lighter than both head and foot, would contain bone, and is also likely to be unique enough as compared to homo sapien.

7 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

What parts would be most valuable in proving the species?

The first thing to do would be document photographically in as much detail as possible before removing anything.    That's going to provide context for whatever physical remains you bring back.    Measure, and include the measure .. tape measure with numbers visible, dollar bill, whatever you have to work with, in the photos.

So far as what to collect, I think the #1 most valuable would be lower jaw bone with teeth if possible.     After that, a foot or a hand.   I'm listing those in order of most .. useful? .. to relevant experts.      While you're doing that, get 2-3 flesh samples if possible.   Given the tales of evidence disappearing, I think you'd want to send samples simultaneously to multiple labs / experts to try to overwhelm any covert efforts to suppress your evidence. 

MIB

A pinky finger/bone at minimum. After what was done with the 40,000 year old Denisovan pinky bone I would think one from an extant species would be sufficient. Another option, several wads of hair with silver dollar sized thick tissue attached. These are suggestions for someone traveling light. Larger, heavier body parts, of course, could provide quicker physical identification and more options for testing.

Considering one could be in real trouble for possessing ANY animal parts, a piece of a Sasquatch can put one in very hot water.

Edited by hiflier

8 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

What ever is quick to cut off  :biggrin:

I would be nervous as all H#LL and would want to get out of that area fast after taking a couple of photos and maybe a couple fingers .

Nervous is putting it lightly. Worst case scenario? BF researchers are on the radar, both for who they are and the area that they are in. Vehicles manufactured after, safe to say, 2000 all have tracking equipment built in. That puts a researcher with the vehicle. On the possible creature monitoring side of things, the lack of a heartbeat, or non-movement in an area where movement is typical, a check on the area/creature may be ordered- BECAUSE this creature is nothing to trifle with considering proof of existence would be a disaster on all fronts. So I agree with 7.62 about getting away fast as there may be a shorter than expected time window available to do the deed. My guess is no one will succeed in what is being discussed here.

People dismiss the importance of this creature to TPTB but I do not, in any way, underestimate just how critically important this creature truly is. And to those Powers That Be, regardless of what one may think, this Forum is an open book- Personal Messaging and all. One would have to have been living under a rock to think otherwise. And that's why going the eDNA route has the best chance. There are no illegalities involved in taking samples and no one can stop anyone from doing so. And if a hundred people are taking samples the odds of a sample result slipping through become even better. Sure, someone could announce the results as not being a novel primate even if the results say otherwise. But that would probably be true with any remains as well with the difference being the legalities involved. There would be zero legal risk on the eDNA side, as opposed to getting caught with body parts.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hiflier said:

.......After what was done with the 40,000 year old Denisovan pinky bone.......

:rofl:

That looks like a new version of creation theory to me. 

• Haha 1

Several teeth, hair, blood, if possible a hand. Time permitting, after taking video and photos, I'd bury the body and mark its location so that after initial release of evidence to various scientists and labs to could go back with a team to excavate the remains for further study. And bring a reporter or several so a cover is more difficult.

That said...still couldn't shoot one.

Another thing  I think that would matter is how long the corpse was laying there . If it's in decay then I would still be nervous but not the same kind of nervous 

if it's just a few hours old . If it looks fresh I'm looking for black helicopters flying over my head and possibly rocks the size of bowling balls 

getting thrown at me.  :lol:

Edited by 7.62

On 2/15/2022 at 2:04 AM, Madison5716 said:

Head, hands, and feet would be the minimum harvest I'd imagine.... plus they would be easily obtained and transported compared to some other parts.

• gigantor locked this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic