Any suspected Sasquatch footsteps/stomps around you lately?

Tylo

16 hours ago, Tylo said:

@Annie Nore I imagine MI is still shaking off winter, I lived in WI for a long time so I know. We are in a transitional phase here in MO, downpours and cold then a high temp. day.  Lotsa mud!  :D  I got the lawn tractor going and when it's dry enough to cut everything there will be swaths of cleared areas.  I'll know if anything is disturbed.  Had a good look at the brushy tangle, will clear that up a bit and make note of its usual state.  Will be going on my poison ivy hunt soon!  Yes, whatever is going on here is definitely random.  It's fascinating and a bit disturbing at the same time.  Whenever something appears, it seems like it is in an area where I've recently done yard work.  I've always paid close attention to the yard because I'm an avid gardener, ever since things happened here I've become hyper alert.  It is always an underlying dark current in my mind, I go about my business and deal with it the best I can.  I can say spring through late summer is when things seem to happen.  Hope you manage to get out and about and have some experiences!

I spent most of my life in the western end of the U.P. of Michigan and about the last 12 years in Northern Wisconsin. Similar weather but more snow in Michigan. We may be getting more snow this week. Everything is soaked from the rains.

Are you taking photographs of everything unusual? Or just some? I ask because someone may alert you to activity or evidence that you may think isn't that important or unusual enough and you would have something to fall back on. 

I wonder if, because the evidence left behind is on a smaller scale, that it might be juveniles you are dealing with.

I would like to check out a more southern location here in Wisconsin that seems to have a lot of reports. It's only a few hours away. 

I hope you have "nicer" experiences. Have fun in the mud!

16 hours ago, Tylo said:

@McGlencoe  I've heard extremely heavy bipedal footfalls twice, last November when I seemed to have disturbed someone and a few years ago.  Perhaps four or five years ago I ran out to the car late at night, a spur of the moment kind of thing, and someone(?) just to the east of the house seemed to be startled and seemed to get up and run back toward the pasture.  Definitely more than one creature.  For some reason, I thought there were three of them???  The heavy thud, thud, thud of footsteps taking off.  Once I got to the car, those sounds startled me and I ran back into the house quickly.  Floodlight on in front and in back of house but this was in the pitch black area between the two.  Definitely not cattle or deer, I live around them and know their sounds.  As I mentioned before, I tried to stomp around in my snow boots (I'm not a light weight petite person) and I could not replicate those foot steps.  To be honest with you, it drives me absolutely crazy that the sound events happen in the pitch black areas just out of reach of the light.

They seem to be smart enough to know where they are less likely to be seen. It cannot be coincidental.

@Annie Nore I'm sorry, I forgot you were in northern WI!  I photograph or record video of all things unusual.  It's extremely interesting to me that things happen in areas where I've been recently doing yard work.  To me, it seems like it's a test of my observation skills (like walnuts appearing in bushes and trees where I've recently worked.) The missing dog dish incident was probably connected to them and it seemed to be a joke of sorts? If they are around I'm sure they get a kick out of my behavior in the yard.  I very much hope you have an encounter or some type of activity.  It is something I want for people who have an interest in the topic. (Of course, I certainly wouldn't be out in the woods hitting trees or howling! I also don't think it needs to be a nighttime project. LOL!) 

My friend liked to drive to Holy Hill, the area of the notorious dogman encounter.  I'm sure there are plenty of places to try to attract them.

What I disliked most about WI was the short growing season.  I always laughed at my uncle having to buy 3 ft. tomato plants at the beginning of gardening season, when I moved up there I understood why he did it!

DSCN4385.JPG

• Upvote 1

@Annie Nore and everyone else who are trying to interact with these people, I would caution immediately tracking down sounds that you think could be related.  I think there were at least eight sound incidents that made me wait until daylight to investigate or back out of the area because something didn't feel right.  There were three daylight sound events here that I was extremely curious about but after pausing and listening I backed away because I was uncomfortable, somewhat like being lured?  I remember saying during one event in the yard, "You want me to go around that corner, don't you?"  and I wouldn't do it, just backed away.  I tell you, though, two of the sound events had me unbelievably curious and I wanted to climb over the fence and wander into dense overgrown brush and difficult to access woods to solve the mystery.  It happened on two different days in an area that I know to have trees and nothing else.  The sound was definitely out-of-place.  Things like that make you pause in the first place, best to move away if you are unsure.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Tylo said:

@McGlencoe  I've heard extremely heavy bipedal footfalls twice, last November when I seemed to have disturbed someone and a few years ago.  Perhaps four or five years ago I ran out to the car late at night, a spur of the moment kind of thing, and someone(?) just to the east of the house seemed to be startled and seemed to get up and run back toward the pasture.  Definitely more than one creature.  For some reason, I thought there were three of them???  The heavy thud, thud, thud of footsteps taking off.  Once I got to the car, those sounds startled me and I ran back into the house quickly.  Floodlight on in front and in back of house but this was in the pitch black area between the two.  Definitely not cattle or deer, I live around them and know their sounds.  As I mentioned before, I tried to stomp around in my snow boots (I'm not a light weight petite person) and I could not replicate those foot steps.  To be honest with you, it drives me absolutely crazy that the sound events happen in the pitch black areas just out of reach of the light.

Ours was mid-day, maybe noon-ish. My son and I were squatted down in the slough brush picking Chanterelles and this critter went off, stomping and wood knocking, back and forth, right to left and then back left to right. I really don't think it could see us and was trying to get us to move so it could see what/who we were.

2 hours ago, Tylo said:

@Annie Nore and everyone else who are trying to interact with these people, I would caution immediately tracking down sounds that you think could be related.  I think there were at least eight sound incidents that made me wait until daylight to investigate or back out of the area because something didn't feel right.  There were three daylight sound events here that I was extremely curious about but after pausing and listening I backed away because I was uncomfortable, somewhat like being lured?  I remember saying during one event in the yard, "You want me to go around that corner, don't you?"  and I wouldn't do it, just backed away.  I tell you, though, two of the sound events had me unbelievably curious and I wanted to climb over the fence and wander into dense overgrown brush and difficult to access woods to solve the mystery.  It happened on two different days in an area that I know to have trees and nothing else.  The sound was definitely out-of-place.  Things like that make you pause in the first place, best to move away if you are unsure.

It's a good idea not to trust them too much. Always be very cautious and treat them like any other big predator out there.

• Upvote 1

@McGlencoe If you don't mind me asking, which state are you in?  Were you able to visualize the size of him/her that made the stomping sounds?  The wood knocking is strange, I bet you were unnerved.  He/She wanted those mushrooms!  : )  I've never heard stomps that sounded angry or impatient, only footfalls that were startled by my impulsive late night run outside.

Just remembering something odd from several years ago, I make sure my cat is in at night. One night I thought he was still out so kept going outside to whistle loudly to which he usually returns. Family member and I heard a very loud thump, which caused them to say what was that, and I didn't know, but it wasn't small and seemed to come from my little woodlot. Cat was thankfully inside after all.

22 hours ago, Tylo said:

@McGlencoe If you don't mind me asking, which state are you in?  Were you able to visualize the size of him/her that made the stomping sounds?  The wood knocking is strange, I bet you were unnerved.  He/She wanted those mushrooms!  : )  I've never heard stomps that sounded angry or impatient, only footfalls that were startled by my impulsive late night run outside.

WA state, that particular event was outside Olympia.

We weren't unnerved at all, wasn't our first run-in with weird stuff in the woods. We both sat there, whispering about it, as I'm texting my wife down the hill telling her about it. Once we knocked back, we heard nothing again from that direction. So, it either left the area or chilled out and waited until we finished. 

No idea the size of the perpetrator. Guessing it was 30 yards or so off through the brush. But total guess, trying to go off of how sound carries. Never saw any sort of movement at all. Too much brush between us and it.

I've always wondered if they eat mushrooms. We spend a lot of time out in the woods every year picking and have never been ran out of a spot.

• Upvote 1

@McGlencoe  That's quite an experience!  I wouldn't be surprised if they like mushrooms.  Certain people get crazy around here when morels appear! I've never experienced anything weird while in the woods, am thankful for that. The yard is a different matter. : ) I think I won't be wandering around wild areas anymore unless I have other people with me.

@JKH  Must have been something odd about that night or you would have forgotten about it, yes?  Always a relief when pets are safe.   I wonder if your whistling caught the attention of someone?  I'm sure you know many people warn against whistling at night or in the woods.   I'm not superstitious but MAYBE there is something to such warnings. I've definitely modified my behavior since activity started.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 10:26 PM, Tylo said:

Must have been something odd about that night or you would have forgotten about it, yes?  Always a relief when pets are safe.   I wonder if your whistling caught the attention of someone?  I'm sure you know many people warn against whistling at night or in the woods.   I'm not superstitious but MAYBE there is something to such warnings. I've definitely modified my behavior since activity started.

Yes, they aren't that often, but definitely have had some strange stuff over the last several years. I haven't discussed it much, but what the hey. It seems I may have random visits from what I think are hairy kids practicing their arts. My take on that was it was scared off or unhappy with my actions. Who knows?

Cheers to you!