Toes

Spader

Guest HairyGreek

You are arguing for something you cannot prove using science. You do understand that, don't you? In Excel, (joke)that is called a circular reference.(/joke)

• 4 months later...
Guest KentuckyApeman

I think deformities to the fingers and toes are one of the most prevalent consequences of inbreeding in mammals. Most of us have probably seen domestic cats with those double front paws and such -- those are a result of inbreeding from what I understand.

A rare only semi-social animal seems to me would be likely to inbreed depending on where it is geographically.

This aspect of the odd three, four and six toed prints that have been seen and cast is too easily passed over by the Meldrum/Krantz collections. In fact, I believe most of these unusual prints are found outside of the PNW area, where BF populations may be more sparse, resulting in higher cases of inbreeding.

There is a researcher here in Oz that found some 3 toed tracks and is trying to pass them of as yowie tracks, when in fact they are wallaby tracks. No similarity what so ever

Which is it? Different species, or genetic anomaly?

Neither. Hoax.

Why would someone hoax a 3-toed cast?

Because people are inherantly stupid, ignorant, or 'both'... or they think the people they're dealing with are.

Edited by GuyInIndiana

I also never felt the Honey island track was legitimate and as far as the common thought of inbreeding for 3 toed squatch tracks found else where, I disagree and feel the tracks like this in the South are the result of Cottonmouth (water moccasin) and Timber or Eastern Diamond back Rattle snake bites. No mammal with toes could get thru a flesh destroying venomous bite from a pit viper without major damage and likely loss of the digit bit. These snakes in habitat the very habitat they reside in and seems just more likely as the cause to me. The population thing is very under estimated by Meldrum IMO. Here in East Texas a coworker and his brother claim finding large three toed bigfoot tracks in the forested river bottoms of the Trinity River near me. I myself has yet to see an actual three toed bigfoot track in person.

Polydactyly is a common defect seen in human newborns and does not necessarily indicate genetic problems or inbreeding. It happens about 1 in 500 births. I do not know what the incidence for this is in other primates. I would assume if sasquatch is a primate that they might have similar issues as humans.

Fused digits, or syndactyly isn't as common, the simple kind just involving webbed fingers and toes happens in about 1 in 2500 births. The complex kind involving fused bones is usually associated with a syndrome affecting the skull, Like Apert's Syndrome, and is not so common.

Apert's consists of malformation of the skull caused by early fusing of the coronal sutures. It causes the head to appear pointy, the eyes sockets shallow and widely spaced apart, the face is flat or concave, with the back of the head being flat. It can also cause prognathism. Kind of sounds like the way a sasquatch is described in some cases. However, human kids usually die from this without surgery due to increased intercranial pressure so one would think a primate would too if this were the case.

One study suggested it had something to do with the expression of three isoforms of FGFR2, the gene with the point mutations that causes the syndrome in 98% of the patients. It will be interesting to see if there is some similar mutation that shows up in the bigfoot DNA research, assuming it gets that in depth in the paper submitted for publishing, as far as describing the genome.

Here is an interesting article that refers to Apert's in primate and human genetic studies.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20100430/Jumping-elements-in-primates-may-have-important-consequences-for-studies-of-human-genetic-diseases.aspx

Guest KentuckyApeman

There is a researcher here in Oz that found some 3 toed tracks and is trying to pass them of as yowie tracks, when in fact they are wallaby tracks. No similarity what so ever

Of course, how stupid of me. Steve Irwin lives on. Sorry to waste the bandwith. :wacko:

Neither. Hoax.

Proof?

And on the issue of circumstantial toe loss, I would point out that the 3-and 4-toe tracks I've seen casts of didn't appear to be 5 toe feet with amputations, but rather 3- and 4-toe feet from birth.

Edited by Mulder

Proof?

And on the issue of circumstantial toe loss, I would point out that the 3-and 4-toe tracks I've seen casts of didn't appear to be 5 toe feet with amputations, but rather 3- and 4-toe feet from birth.

David Thompson, in the Canadian Rockies at about the Athalbascan Pass during 1811, observed a trackway in snow indicating 4 toes, each toe about 4 inches with a small nail on the end. The tracks were 14 inches by 8 inches with the ball of the foot sinking 3 inches lower than the toes. The heel did not print well so Thompson guessed it might have been a very large, old Grizzly with worn claws. Thompson also expressed some doubt about it being a bear. His guides didn't buy it and they did not want to follow. From David Thompson's Journals.

Edited by HOLDMYBEER
  • Upvote 1

Guest TooRisky

DDA....are you or your cohorts in the PNW regularly finding track with less than 5 toes?

As a rule in the PNW most have five fully developed toes, but once in a while a cripple or damaged foot print will be found...Seems the 4 toed are in the SW and the further ya go they drop off toes to the 3 toed in LA. and FL.

My theory is the lack of healthy gene pool...The healthy gene pool is in the NE, N, NW, and up into Canada... The less hearty had to go south for warmth, inbreeding started with a weak gene pool and makes for some interesting off spring...

Thats an aweful lot of speculation there buddy. I often see a certain conceit in the PNW folks thinking they have the monopoly on all things sasquatch. They think they have the best research areas are up there and the highest populations, healthiest, etc. The Southern US shows good population density and actual quite high, no weak gene pool. That's ridiculous. They are a successful species of a wide range of habitat around the world. Of course I am speculating ;)

Guest RedRatSnake

Would not a weak gene pool produce a few that would have been detected due to incompetence ? And i have already heard the BF would take care of their own responses in the past, time for a new reason why, or maybe just come to the conclusion that the three toe thing is just not really all that solid in theory and is based on nothing but trying to solidify the tracks as being real and not hoaxed.

Tim :)