Olympic Project nest on display

CelticKevin

18 hours ago, Skinwalker13 said:

They carry my footprint keychains there too, shameless plug lol. Inwent back and checked my info, it was in fact a replica they made for squatchfest and was then taken to NABC for display. 

The leather foot prints with the squatch on them?

I understand your concern hiflier. But skeptics, non-believers, and nay sayers in general are going to pee in your punchbowl no matter what anyway. So, why worry? 

Its like saying we shouldn't mention dermal ridges and mid-tarsal breaks as now anyone can make better hoax tracks or talk about pitch modulations in howls as it will make those easier to fake with a computer. Every bit of evidence is can be derided and arguement made its phony. But if we keep important details and new discoveries hidden for fear of that risk, no one learns anything and the next generation of Bigfoot enthusiasts will be hampered.

My two cents.

• Thanks 1

I appreciate your reply CK, and you bring up good points. But in this case my understanding was that there was going to be a white paper put out as well as a documentary. If the white paper was going to include assessments by bear experts and other biologists, plus an evaluation of what the WADNR had to say, plus the soil sample documentation and results, plus photos of the nests and other evidence not attributed to Humans, then that would have, of should have come first. Then a documentary film of the discoveries. THEN a display at the museum of the reconstructed nest. I think my point is this is all being done backwards and that it would have been infinitely wiser to have all documentation reach the public first.

We here know what the story is regarding the discovery, how it came about, and who was involved so that isn't the issue. For the public though,  real nest on display prematurely would be one thing, but a reconstructed one built by Humans IMHO had better have everything about the find, including a video screening of the discovery. IOW, in the real world? Prove the creature exists first and then display the evidence in a Bigfoot museum. My opinion, for right or for wrong. is that the Bigfoot subject, until it's existence is shown to be a fact, has become more and more of a circus over the years. More museums, more conferences, more books, more documentaries.......and nothing in the way of proof to show for any of it. It makes me seriously wonder about the ethics of it all.  

2 hours ago, hiflier said:

The reason I said that is because this nest was built by Humans. And then it's going to be displayed in a Bigfoot museum? I'll let the skeptics fill in the blanks about what that could mean regarding the original discoveries. The details and logistics surrounding the finds will become trivial now that this reconstructed nest exists. But more than likely I'll be the only one that sees it as the error in judgment that it is.

Agreed and we actually believe all of them are made by humans. 😆 

6 minutes ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

I've actually made a "nest" to sleep on a few times. None were as large or thick as the ones I've seen in pics alleged to be sasquatch nests. 

59 minutes ago, hiflier said:

More museums, more conferences, more books, more documentaries.......and nothing in the way of proof to show for any of it. It makes me seriously wonder about the ethics of it all.  

I hear you. There is a fine line between education and exploitation. But, scientific examination, field expeditions, and other research doesn't come cheap. If good intentions could fund research, we'd have it made. But we all know it takes cash. And to get that cash, you do have to sensationalize things a bit and get people interested enough to keep the funds coming in. It's our job to be selective in our choices of who we support and what we purchase and hopefully that will help separate the exploitative chaff from the legitimate wheat.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Huntster said:

I've actually made a "nest" to sleep on a few times. None were as large or thick as the ones I've seen in pics alleged to be sasquatch nests. 

Not surprised that you have built them. I never have, but I have made tree limb structures. Thanks for sharing that. 

3 hours ago, CelticKevin said:

The leather foot prints with the squatch on them?

Nah, mine are solid resin and are miniture historic track casts.

1207202226_HDR.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Skinwalker13 said:

Nah, mine are solid resin and are miniture historic track casts.

1207202226_HDR.jpg

Nice! I didnt see those there last time I went and not in the online store either. They look great. Hopefully next time I get up that way, they'll be in.

The only "footprint" keychain I saw was the one I bought there for giggles.

20220311_080620.jpg

1 hour ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

And, respectfully, coming from you I would fully expect that to be true. So my point stands. So much of this subject riddled with cart-before-the-horse dialogue, discussion, and example it's no wonder so many don't take it seriously. For myself, there is something out there pulling off the real-world evidence because there's too much of it observed for far too long to say it's all Human doing.

1 hour ago, CelticKevin said:

But, scientific examination, field expeditions, and other research doesn't come cheap. If good intentions could fund research, we'd have it made. But we all know it takes cash. And to get that cash, you do have to sensationalize things a bit and get people interested enough to keep the funds coming in.

In a way I would have to disagree. The time, effort and expense, of putting together conferences and museums COULD go directly to the field. I just don't think it's a healthy situation. I complain about carrots being dangled in front of us but we turn around and dangle our own carrots front of the public? Both proponents and non-proponents alike? People and friends buy me trinkets, too, but not because they believe in the creature- they think the whole thing is a joke- but because they think I'll thinks it's humorous....which I don't. Okay, enough out of me on that because what I'm saying isn't going to change anything.

Edited by hiflier

On 3/9/2022 at 8:58 PM, Twist said:

Interesting indeed.   I'm glad to hear its a reconstruction vs. taking the real thing out of its natural habitat.

To be honest, I'd rather have had seen the real thing, adds authenticity to it but I suppose a reconstruction would do, despite it being made by human hands instead. Not like there weren't plenty of nests to go around. 

32 minutes ago, Marty said:

To be honest, I'd rather have had seen the real thing, adds authenticity to it but I suppose a reconstruction would do, despite it being made by human hands instead. Not like there weren't plenty of nests to go around. 

Oh I’d love to see the real thing too, but sometimes that’s not best.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Marty said:

So, as someone who works in the forest, there have been times we have tried to remove things from the forest for museums. Be it fossils, large old growth tree cookies, black bear nests in trees, eagles nests the list goes on... Its incredibly hard to maintain a structures integrity and move it at the same time, add moving it miles through over grown understory makes it that much harder. As for the nests the base layer was likely so worn and degraded from weight and wallowing around that they would likely fall apart as soon as they were lifted and moved.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Skinwalker13 said:

So, as someone who works in the forest, there have been times we have tried to remove things from the forest for museums. Be it fossils, large old growth tree cookies, black bear nests in trees, eagles nests the list goes on... Its incredibly hard to maintain a structures integrity and move it at the same time, add moving it miles through over grown understory makes it that much harder. As for the nests the base layer was likely so worn and degraded from weight and wallowing around that they would likely fall apart as soon as they were lifted and moved.

Fair enough, I just hope they included really good shots of the real deal, puts some perspective to it.

They did have photos up on the internet for a while as did Barackman on his website but everyone has since taken them down so the internet no longer has any photos of the original find to look at. I did dig back a bit here on the BFF and found a couple from 2017. There are probably others here and there if someone wishes to look for them. The second image is a group looking through a piece cut out of one of the original nests for evidence like hair and such:

anujuikdjqijp0debcoh.png

nest 1.jpg

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic