State of Sasquatch Research

Explorer

1 minute ago, Annie Nore said:

I don't know who Nick Redfern is.

So before YouTube and this flood of so-called documentaries, cryptozoology was not a pseudoscience?

No. It was not. Historically speaking, the search for unclassified animal species was an important sub field of zoology. Especially during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. And it could still be to this day if cryptozooogists steered clear of paranormalists, UFO nuts, ghostbusters and other cranks. 

7 minutes ago, Wooly Booger said:

All I know is, everytime my wife and I try to find a good old fashioned Bigfoot documentary on the youtubes, Small Town Monsters is the only thing that comes up. It is extremely irritating. 

Then that is a problem with YouTube. Or perhaps you are not looking long enough.

At this point I do not think any new real documentaries have been made lately.

I have the same problem and oftentimes do not have the patience or time to sift through these things. I will go back and re-read a few chapters in Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science.

Just now, Annie Nore said:

Then that is a problem with YouTube. Or perhaps you are not looking long enough.

At this point I do not think any new real documentaries have been made lately.

I have the same problem and oftentimes do not have the patience or time to sift through these things. I will go back and re-read a few chapters in Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science.

I understand the frustration. My wife and I have all but given up looking for Bigfoot documentaries. Though I do have a copy of John Bindernagel’s book that I am just starting to read. I’m case you don’t know, he’s a wildlife biologist (a legitimate Sasquatch researcher) who is convinced that Sasquatch is an unclassified species of great ape. You should look up his research. Pretty amazing. 

5 minutes ago, Wooly Booger said:

He seems to be trying to pass himself off as serious research. If he wasn’t, then surely there would be other options available for online Bigfoot documentaries. The fool must have a monopoly on YouTube or something. 

The fool… 

Ok.  

5 minutes ago, Wooly Booger said:

No. It was not. Historically speaking, the search for unclassified animal species was an important sub field of zoology. Especially during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. And it could still be to this day if cryptozooogists steered clear of paranormalists, UFO nuts, ghostbusters and other cranks. 

If you are familiar with this, what is your take on Bernard Heuvelmans' book On The Track of Unknown Animals (originally published in French in 1955, English version in 1958)?

Granted it is archaic and definitely not PC.  I thoroughly enjoyed the book.

If you are familiar with this, what is your take on Bernard Heuvelmans' book On The Track of Unknown Animals (originally published in French in 1955, English version in 1958)?

Granted it is archaic and definitely not PC.  I thoroughly enjoyed the book.

I unfortunately do not have a copy. Though it has been on my to read list for some time. Bernard Heuvelmanns was a pioneer in scientific cryptozoology. More researchers like him are desperately needed today. Jeff Meldrum is probably the most well known of the current scientific researchers. Dr. Bindernagel sadly passed away in 2018. 

And as far as Nick Redfern, his argument is essentially that Bigfoot has to be an otherworldly entity simply because it hasn’t been scientifically documented. Talk about a cop out. I’d steer clear of such foolishness. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Wooly Booger said:

I understand the frustration. My wife and I have all but given up looking for Bigfoot documentaries. Though I do have a copy of John Bindernagel’s book that I am just starting to read. I’m case you don’t know, he’s a wildlife biologist (a legitimate Sasquatch researcher) who is convinced that Sasquatch is an unclassified species of great ape. You should look up his research. Pretty amazing. 

I am aware of Bindernagel and have watched some interviews with him. I have not read his book(s?) yet. That is on my To-Do List. I am thankful to this group for recommendations in another topic and along the way. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Wooly Booger said:

I unfortunately do not have a copy. Though it has been on my to read list for some time. Bernard Heuvelmanns was a pioneer in scientific cryptozoology. More researchers like him are desperately needed today. Jeff Meldrum is probably the most well known of the current scientific researchers. Dr. Bindernagel sadly passed away in 2018. 

And as far as Nick Redfern, his argument is essentially that Bigfoot has to be an otherworldly entity simply because it hasn’t been scientifically documented. Talk about a cop out. I’d steer clear of such foolishness. 

I was lucky and came across a copy on a giveaway table at a local library!

I was lucky and came across a copy on a giveaway table at a local library!

Lucky indeed. I certainly would have taken advantage of such an opportunity. I will probably end up purchasing a copy off Amazon when I have time. 

5 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Well, you guys better get started now with cleaning up Facebook.  

While you guys handle that, I am going to actually be in the woods. Let me know when to expect mainstream science to show up.  They need to bring their own tents, though.

They’ll show up when the Bigfoot community ditches the paranormal apologetics. 

Never found a fringe position unworthy of defense….

39 minutes ago, Wooly Booger said:

Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Science will show up when you plop a dead corpse on their desk. And they will still be looking for a zipper!

I absolutely love it when we tear at each other’s throats.

Wooly Booger? Bigfoot IS a paranormal subject as far as main stream science is concerned. Your belief in a flesh and blood 800 lbs ape man  roaming the hinterlands of North America is on par with inter dimensional Leprechauns hiding their pot of gold under a rainbow.

I commend your woo dar and your willingness to stay away from it. But you are in the paranormal hot tub with the rest of us….. dead skin and all. You might as well get cozy. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Wooly Booger said:

The paranormal has not been proven to exist. One should never attempt to explain an unknown with another unknown

Sasquatch has not been proven to exist. So, it is an unknown. You have no first hand knowledge of this creature, so anything you believe of it, comes from people who claim they know something about it, but can not definitively back up their claims, so another unknown. It would be difficult for me to speak in absolutes about an unknown using no first hand knowledge, but that of others who cannot back up their claim with proof. I, on the other hand, have many years of first hand knowledge of this creature and I will tell you now that it is an unknown. I have no proof, just experiences. There are several on here that have had many first hand experiences that include visual encounters. Some are not willing to rule out wooish things because the have experienced it first hand and cannot explain it away with infrasound.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Wooly Booger said:

They’ll show up when the Bigfoot community ditches the paranormal apologetics.........

Can you explain, then, why they didn't show up in 1967 when Patterson and Gimlin shot their film? There were no alien/Bigfoot theories then. 

They won't show up until somebody drags a dead sasquatch in for them, then they'll be all over it like maggots, pontificating about it like they knew all about it all along.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Wooly Booger said:

You are developing a reputation for making definitive statements, then dodging when called out on them.  

You made the statement that SMT presented themselves as serious research. When I asked you to back that statement up, you said that you and your wife found a bunch of his videos on YouTube as your reasoning.  

You have made this statement several times.  Please back it up.  Explain how and why the scientific community is avoiding the Bigfoot phenomenon solely due to weird Facebook groups.  Be specific.  Don’t dodge.  

• Upvote 1

• gigantor locked this topic