State of Sasquatch Research

Explorer

1 minute ago, Wooly Booger said:

I fully agree. Everytime I try to find a quality Sasquatch documentary on YouTube the only programming that comes up is worthless crap posted by Small Town Monsters and other losers. 

It’s getting to be like the History Channel. Give me good old fashioned historical documentaries rather than Ancient Aliens, Ice Road Truckers, inbred hillbillies, and the lowest common denominator. 

That’s what I don’t understand.  You are a very intelligent guy.  Why not make your own content to offer an opposing viewpoint?  Why allow someone else’s actions to limit your own?  Are you not making content because other content you disagree with exists?

These are legitimate questions.  I find 99% of the woo stories out there ludicrous, but I don’t want to silence anyone…and it doesn’t affect my own actions.  

Just now, BlackRockBigfoot said:

That’s what I don’t understand.  You are a very intelligent guy.  Why not make your own content to offer an opposing viewpoint?  Why allow someone else’s actions to limit your own?  Are you not making content because other content you disagree with exists?

These are legitimate questions.  I find 99% of the woo stories out there ludicrous, but I don’t want to silence anyone…and it doesn’t affect my own actions.  

I don’t want to silence anyone either. What I do want is for the subject to be taken seriously. And in order to accomplish this we need to have scientific standards and enforce an air of respectability. The scientific method should be the order of the day in Sasquatch research and all cryptozoology. DNA collecting, animal tracking, comparative analysis. All of these methods should be employed in the field. Perpetuating outlandish theories only serves to relegate the subject into the same pseudoscience such as metaphysics, ghosts, and psychic mediums. 

16 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

So social media is a zero sum game… a follower for whoever that is results in a ‘serious researcher’ not having a follow.  

The lack of social media followers has presented a ‘serious researcher’ from conducting his research.  Once Colorado Bigfoot is driven from social media, the researcher will attain the proper number of followers.  Then real research can commence.

A serious researcher cannot conduct his research unless those viewpoints that he finds ridiculous are eliminated.  

Am I tracking?  

Is it the lack of attention that is hurting these researchers?  Social media attention?  

It's not helping the overall cause. I'm thinking more of the new blood to the subject, because social media is more likely to be their gateway to it. Who are you specifically referring to as a researcher?

13 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

It seems that the people who are involved with actual serious amateur research (because at the end of the day, it’s all amateur) don’t worry about this stuff.  You might look at it and cringe, but you keep on with your own efforts.  

The only people who seem to get upset over what other people are doing online are the ones who seem to stew on their own anger that someone is getting the attention that they themselves deserve.  They are upset that the topic has become more popular and they are no longer as unique as they once were.

That doesn’t sound like a researcher who just wants answers.  It sounds like an old boy’s club.

No, more like a loss of standards that those newcomers should start with a grounding in.

11 minutes ago, vinchyfoot said:

It's not helping the overall cause. I'm thinking more of the new blood to the subject, because social media is more likely to be their gateway to it. Who are you specifically referring to as a researcher?

I am not referring to anyone in particular.  I am using your standard for a serious researcher as a stand in.  

What’s crazy about all of this is… all I am personally about is data collection.  Logging environmental data in active areas, mapping occurrences…heck, I am on the process of finalizing a piece of equipment to test for and log infrasound in one of my research areas.  

I don’t sit around in a field holding crystals trying to mindspeak with the Forest brothers.  

But, in my mind the bigger issue is the lack of self awareness that seems to plague much of the old guard.  Many spend all of their bemoaning ‘these damn kids’ and hold up some stupid Facebook group as the reason for our lack of progress.  

This bitterness isn’t going to win anyone to your cause who wasn’t already an adherent.  

I see the opposite thing occurring… people who started out involved with the subject in a very frivolous manner now beginning to take a more serious approach.  The goofy stuff was a gateway drug.  They enjoyed the sensational stories enough to become involved with the topic in a more serious manner.  A bunch of old guys in adventure hats banging on trees and complaining all of the time didn’t spur their interest.  

It just seems like a lot of you get really focused on what someone else is thinking and seem to fixate upon it as a reason why proof has not been obtained.  If I never find proof myself, it’s because I failed… not because some chick is talking about how Bigfoot took her up in a ufo.  

I will say this as someone who was on the outside with a passive interest, for a long time, the woo crap is probably 70% of the Bigfoot stuff you are exposed to. The nitty gritty actual science that some researchers do barely accounts for much if it's not being expressed openly to the public. 

Real science needs a stronger social media presence and not tucked away on obscure portions of the internet. 

Edited by Marty

20 minutes ago, Wooly Booger said:

I don’t want to silence anyone either. What I do want is for the subject to be taken seriously. And in order to accomplish this we need to have scientific standards and enforce an air of respectability. The scientific method should be the order of the day in Sasquatch research and all cryptozoology. DNA collecting, animal tracking, comparative analysis. All of these methods should be employed in the field. Perpetuating outlandish theories only serves to relegate the subject into the same pseudoscience such as metaphysics, ghosts, and psychic mediums. 

Fine.  Then make your own competing content that shows the benefits of the scientific method.  Make it understandable and accessible for someone unfamiliar with your proposed methods.  

Browbeating people online isn’t moving the needle in your favor.  

Most of these people never want to progress past the ‘posting funny Bigfoot memes’ stage.  Those that do want to progress… give them the opportunity to discover your information.   

• Upvote 1

On 3/27/2022 at 3:58 PM, gigantor said:

I disagree with you there. I think you could count with two hands the number of committed groups who hit the field repeatedly and methodically and that is the problem.

Although I agree there are only a handful or two of scientifically motivated research groups out there, I think the quoted member in your post is in fact correct as well. There are thousands of researchers in the field every year with their own idea of how to obtain evidence, or at least some type of personal validation for the existence of the species commonly referred to as Sasquatch.

Personally, I believe that research needs to be conducted within the parameters of the normal scientific world following their procedures to validate the existence of the species.

The (unpopular) elephant in the room is the need for real physical evidence (type specimen). Obtaining this evidence could be as simple as one lucky (unlucky) vehicle strike, or perhaps a near-sighted bear hunter.

Short of a bizarre circumstance, the only way the existence of Bigfoot will ever be proven is through diligent research, and painstaking collection of uncontaminated physical evidence.

I absolutely agree though... IMO we need more science and less conjecture/speculation in the field of cryptozoology. It's the only way we will ever reach the point of scientifically recognizing the species. Unproven theories without solid evidence just erode the credibility of research, and tends make this field of study a running joke to the majority of the public.

[Disclaimer- I am not pro kill, but I do think one way or another the only undeniable proof that will lead to complete acknowledgment of this new species is in fact a corpse. That said, I would never actively attempt to collect specimen myself].

Edited by Hoekler73
grammar/spelling
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Most of these people never want to progress past the ‘posting funny Bigfoot memes’ stage.  Those that do want to progress… give them the opportunity to discover your information.   

And that is precisely my point! Posting “funny” Bigfoot memes is as pointless as sitting in the back of the class making armpit farts. 

If we ever hope to be taken seriously as a research community, and if we ever hope to make real scientific progress then we certainly need to progress past posting “funny” Bigfoot memes. 

11 minutes ago, Hoekler73 said:

Although I agree there are only a handful or two of scientifically motivated research groups out there, I think the quoted member in your post is in fact correct as well. There are thousands of researchers in the field every year with their own idea of how to obtain evidence, or at least some type of personal validation for the existence of the species commonly referred to as Sasquatch.

Personally, I believe that research needs to be conducted within the parameters of the normal scientific world following their procedures to validate the existence of the species.

The (unpopular) elephant in the room is the need for real physical evidence (type specimen). Obtaining this evidence could be as simple as one lucky (unlucky) vehicle strike, or perhaps a near-sighted bear hunter.

Short of a bizarre circumstance, the only way the existence of Bigfoot will ever be proven is through diligent research, and painstaking collection of uncontaminated physical evidence.

I absolutely agree though... IMO we need more science and less conjecture/speculation in the field of cryptozoology. It's the only way we will ever reach the point of scientifically recognizing the species. Unproven theories without solid evidence just erode the credibility of research, and tends make this field of study a running joke to the majority of the public.

[Disclaimer- I am not pro kill, but I do think one way or another the only undeniable proof that will lead to complete acknowledgment of this new species is in fact a corpse. That said, I would never actively attempt to collect specimen myself].

Less Conjecture, open opposition and relegating to the fringe the woo nonsense where it belongs, and more science. 

1 minute ago, vinchyfoot said:

Less Conjecture, open opposition and relegating to the fringe the woo nonsense where it belongs, and more science. 

^^^^^^
This is exactly what the Bigfoot community needs. I couldn’t have said it better myself. Well done. 

14 minutes ago, Wooly Booger said:

And that is precisely my point! Posting “funny” Bigfoot memes is as pointless as sitting in the back of the class making armpit farts. 

If we ever hope to be taken seriously as a research community, and if we ever hope to make real scientific progress then we certainly need to progress past posting “funny” Bigfoot memes. 

How is a grandmother posting a cringe Bigfoot meme n Facebook holding back my, your, or anyone else’s efforts?

How does this hinder serious research?  

Do you believe that private research  organizations, universities, and governments would embrace the topic tomorrow if it was less popular?

Just now, BlackRockBigfoot said:

How is a grandmother posting a cringe Bigfoot meme n Facebook holding back my, your, or anyone else’s efforts?

Do you believe that private research  organizations, universities, and governments would embrace the topic tomorrow if it was less popular?

Popularity is fine. Making a joke of the subject and perpetuating fringe theories is the problem.

27 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

If less woo meant that there were more hard nosed science minded types out there looking, it would increase the odds of something of note being found, and it would potentially increase the likelihood... popularity all too often means lowest common denominator.

6 minutes ago, vinchyfoot said:

If less woo meant that there were more hard nosed science minded types out there looking, it would increase the odds of something of note being found, and it would potentially increase the likelihood... popularity all too often means lowest common denominator.

So, you believe that ‘Facebook woo’ is steering hard nose science minded types from going out looking?  

Do practitioners of astrology cause a decrease in college students choosing astronomy as a major?  

In your experience, do hard nosed science types allow themselves to be guided by Facebook groups and humorous memes?  Those things determine the course of their actions?

2 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

So, you believe that ‘Facebook woo’ is steering hard nose science minded types from going out looking?  

Do practitioners of astrology cause a decrease in college students choosing astronomy as a major?  

In your experience, do hard nosed science types allow themselves to be guided by Facebook groups and humorous memes?  Those things determine the course of their actions?

Stupid memes should be outlawed under penalty of flogging in the public square. 

• gigantor locked this topic