State of Sasquatch Research

Explorer

2 minutes ago, zeebob889 said:

Who looks for Bigfoot with radar? Radar would show SOMETHING is there, not specifically what. Unless one has more money than I, most low end flir will again, show you have a heat signature, but thats about it.

I am starting to see the issue here. 

I made a comment about pilots/UFO skeptics as an analogy to Bigfoot skeptics.  

You responded that eyewitness reports are unreliable in a response to my comment about military pilots.  

I responded to your statement with a question concerning the instrumentation onboard these pilots’ aircraft.

You - ”Who looks for Bigfoot with radar?”

And you want to be the censor who decides what can and cannot be said online?  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I am starting to see the issue here. 

I made a comment about pilots/UFO skeptics as an analogy to Bigfoot skeptics.  

You responded that eyewitness reports are unreliable in a response to my comment about military pilots.  

I responded to your statement with a question concerning the instrumentation onboard these pilots’ aircraft.

You - ”Who looks for Bigfoot with radar?”

And you want to be the censor who decides what can and cannot be said online?  

Not at all.... just stating an opinion. The woo is helping nothing. That is my opinion, and you and anyone can feel free to disagree. That's fine.

39 minutes ago, MIB said:

Yes.

The parallel here is that many of us here are more competent to make field observations than the so called academic experts.   In fact, it may well be that defense of what they see as their turf against us uppity interlopers may have more to do with bigfoot being dismissed .. the true target of their ire may be us, not bigfoot.

MIB

There's truth to this, many biologists think they know more than the people who live in the areas they claim to have fully understand and "studied", but let's face it, only the people living there know every leaf, every rock and animal patterns, tree or mound in the forest, hills and valleys. They may not know how to explain taxonomy or genetics, but they don't have to if they understand how it all works and where things are.

There's an aura of smugness that academics imply when they try and denounce the accounts of residents living in the area for saying things that they don't agree with, because them to them they are the ones "qualified" to speak on it. It's horsecrap. You can be very educated on the matter but if you don't live there chances are you're missing out on something. This isn't so much a Bigfoot problem but a problem across the board with science. 

Edited by Marty
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, zeebob889 said:

As people here mention Facebook etc, as long as the Woo factor is allowed to run rampant there will likely never be any acceptance by the mainstream of the subject.

Exactly. And it boggles my mind why on earth this is so hard to understand? Science holds the key to discovery. With their vast resources at our disposal, Sasquatch could be discovered in a weekend. But of course many Bigfoot researchers would rather wade through the woo swamp in order to increase their popularity, rather than actively contribute towards scientific discovery. 

It’s showmanship pure and simple. 

2 hours ago, MIB said:

So what do you predict happens when proof of bigfoot turns out to be proof of several things currently considered "woo"?  

It won’t be. 

6 hours ago, Marty said:

See, I think they do, podcasts have shown (especially JRE) that the populace is hungry for in depth conversations on anything, people are naturally curious I just think the powers that be target the lowest denominator and therefore we've conditioned ourselves to think no one actually gives a hoot about this stuff. 

I dunno, I've just always been in the camp that believes you can make is accessible if it's fun to engage with. 

There is just soooo much out there now that I simply do not have the time and energy to sift the wheat from the chaff. In-depth conversations would be great, but my experience so far tells me those are few and far between or are very repetitive. PLEASE, point me in the direction of the good ones! I don't want a lot of fluff and silly conversations. Not that I am against silliness now and then.  It does have its purpose, time and place. That is my choice, though, and I can just turn it off if it doesn't appeal to me or give me real information.  This is one of the major reasons I joined Bigfoot Forums. I like how this is managed and that there is a space for all of it whether it is silly, serious, nasty, whatever the conversation may be, and I know where to find it.

Podcasts are a new thing for me (yes, I may have been in a cave of sorts somewhere) and not giving up on them. They just are not among my first choices for information.

Well, you guys better get started now with cleaning up Facebook.  

While you guys handle that, I am going to actually be in the woods. Let me know when to expect mainstream science to show up.  They need to bring their own tents, though.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, MIB said:

So what do you predict happens when proof of bigfoot turns out to be proof of several things currently considered "woo"?    Y' better have a plan for that on your plate whether you believe in "woo" or not, it would be negligent not to even if it is never needed.

So right!

That is why I like the looking for the hard evidence and keeping an open mind approach. One is able to find a balance between seeking the truth and satisfying that curiousity for those things that science cannot yet explain. Finding this balance has plagued mankind throughout history. Many facts have been "woo" at one point. Accepting a personal balance, whatever that may be per individual, can be a difficult thing to do for some. Some may never find it. I am not so presumptuous as to speak in absolutes. 

8 hours ago, zeebob889 said:

They can be perfectly qualified to report what they  see, but what did they see? Eyewitness reports to notoriously unreliable.

Some are better than others, yes, and it does get insulting when every ufo is swamp gas. Who knew there was that much swamp gas in non swampy areas?

...and, yet, eyewitnesses can lead to a prosecution in a court of law. Can't have it both ways, can we?

The experienced hunter with many years under his belt suddenly will not travel alone in certain parts of the woods and another hunter who simply could not pull the trigger on something in his sight - are definitely people I am going to listen to.

6 hours ago, Wooly Booger said:

Exactly. And it boggles my mind why on earth this is so hard to understand? Science holds the key to discovery. With their vast resources at our disposal, Sasquatch could be discovered in a weekend. But of course many Bigfoot researchers would rather wade through the woo swamp in order to increase their popularity, rather than actively contribute towards scientific discovery. 

It’s showmanship pure and simple. 

We need to compartmentalize each for what it is. Is it research? Is it entertainment? 

(Hmmm...entertaining research?)

Foremost, what is the intent? 

Amen BRB.

Those who keep an open mind to everything related to sasquatches will likely be the ones who find the truth, whatever that may be. I'll also be out in the woods very soon doing what I enjoy. Just had dinner tonight with a sasquatching buddy talking about two places we plan to focus on this year.  Getting very itchy to unshackle myself.

3 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

.......Let me know when to expect mainstream science to show up........

They'll be all over you immediately after you knock a sasquatch down. 

8 hours ago, MIB said:

So what do you predict happens when proof of bigfoot turns out to be proof of several things currently considered "woo"? .......

A government lid slammed down so hard that I don't want to be in the vicinity.

18 minutes ago, Annie Nore said:

...and, yet, eyewitnesses can lead to a prosecution in a court of law. Can't have it both ways, can we?......

You can't, but Science can.

• gigantor locked this topic