2023 Urban Bigfoot, Seriously?

Lake County Bigfooot

On 1/18/2023 at 1:44 PM, Huntster said:

It was tiny. I killed it, along with a couple of its siblings, packed my stuff, and started the long 6+ mile hike out. I stepped on it while barefoot, letting my boots dry after the hike in. It got me on the bottom of my foot. By the time I was out, my lower leg was nearly black and horribly swollen. I got anti-venom in Azuza, probably 6 hours after the bite. 

If I was your dog, I'd hate you for putting that collar on me!

Glad you made it out OK, Huntster. Nasty things, those.

Laughing at your collar comment, yeah, I can see that side of it. But to me, it seemed like a victory for us to get through that ordeal, and wanted her to have a trophy. 

1 hour ago, NorthWind said:

......Nasty things, those........

I absolutely hate venomous snakes. Alaska has no snakes at all, and that's one of the primary reasons I love it here.

• Like 1

I absolutely hate venomous snakes, and the fact of living with them would terrify me to an extent. I guess I am able to deal with it while down in Florida. Been listening to a lot of encounters on various 

outlets, and a few have been pretty enlightening. What I always find convincing is the predictable behaviors the creatures exhibit, like watching from afar, crouching into a small stump, swaying side

to side when seen, pacing hunters out of the woods, et. As I have mentioned in the past, I live just south of a State Park in Northern Illinois on the Fox River. In 2020, I got my third boat, a 16.5 foot 

Lund deep V walk thru, I spend a ton of time on the water. I have seen deer swim across the lake from the state park, as well as cross the channels and use the cattails as travel routes. This all funnels

down to a marsh area that is behind my house, behind that is an isolated corn and soybean farm. The deer travel through my marsh from the lakes to get to that farmers field. This is why we also have

a very healthy pack of coyotes who take advantage of the muskrats, rabbits, coons, and the occasional deer. This food chain I suppose is in place when Sasquatch are present, or could be present.

I have long thought they must have milk runs of sorts, various spots they routinely visit. I seemed like in 2013 they were leaving a juvenile here to learn how to hunt, and would gather him up somewhere

in the night and leave before the sun was up.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

1 minute ago, hiflier said:

Yeah, and when they sneak into a village during a blizzard to dine, they're as sneaky as a viper coiled up and camouflaged and ready to envenomate you.

But they're above the Arctic Circle. I don't go up there much, and certainly not during winter...........

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Huntster said:

I absolutely hate venomous snakes. Alaska has no snakes at all, and that's one of the primary reasons I love it here.

I had my first encounter with a Timber Rattler 5-6 years ago. In thin grass and invisible. Then, nearly three years ago, I had two encounters with a  TR within two weeks of each other. I was in the strike zone and both recoiled. Once again, those two were invisible and I could never have avoided them no matter how carefully I stepped. 

It has changed my approach to being in the woods. For many years I wore trail runners.  Now, I adorn heavy, thick-leather boots and snake gaiters. That, admittedly, has taken some fun out of things. Clodhoppers versus nimbly and quick. 

As far as an urban bigfoot goes, it wouldn't surprise me if one was passing through at night and could thread the needle by traveling in sparsely-wooded areas.

8 hours ago, Huntster said:

Not many in Oregon, and virtually none where we go. Most are in the Eastern side of the Cascades. Not a fan of them, either. But Florida was the worst of the places I've stomped around in.

BFF Patron

Last one seen in my neck of the woods was seen by some biology students I was touring around the woods.  It was coiled up near a springhead where it luckily was noticed by them well before being a danger.  Great ambush spot selectivity of that one.  I've seen some large yellow phase ones (beautiful) crossing the road successfully with the help of a shovel handle lift before a dumptruck rounded the bend. Another while doing some brush cutting with old style scythe high on a mtn gap trail with tall wildflowers/weeds, saw movement below me and missed it by about an inch with the scythe, but my day was cut short after that. So large I never saw the head or the rattles as it eased across the trail perpindicular to me. 

Edited by bipedalist

There are no venomous snakes in the Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley area of BC, where I live and mostly explore, but there are rattlers in the Similkameen and Okanagon Valleys where I mostly hunt in the fall, and I occasionally run into them. They were very common there 60 years ago, when I spent my teen summers up there picking fruit and chasing girls. My buddies and I often caught them in the orchards and sold them for $2 each to a little tourist trap zoo, called the Grey Sage Natural History Museum. My last encounter was about 15 years ago, on a gopher shoot in the hills above the village of Hedley, traversing a hillside on a cattle track. My 2 buddies were on another cattle track, maybe 30' higher upslope from me, and heard the rattle at the same time I did; they say they've never seen anyone move in reverse as fast as I did! It was coiled up in the middle of the track, and I had been about to step on it when it rattled. We should have clued in to the possibility of meeting snakes, as we had driven to that spot on Buzztail Road, LOL.

Buzztail Road, I love that name. Whoever walks up the road ought to think, “hmmm, what could that mean?” But it’ll pass right over their heads until…”Damn, why didn’t they name it Rattlesnake Way?!”

On 1/13/2023 at 5:09 AM, guyzonthropus said:

I'm fairly certain they're around in the San Gabriel mountains in the north side of Los Angeles. Theres a number of reports of them in the lower canyons at the edge of towns, even on the northern edge of Pasadena where this one old estate serves as access to a couple trails. The oak scrub gets pretty dense right off and there's plenty of deer. There's little reason to think they wouldn't be there.

I had come across something about Bigfoot in the San Gabriels a few months ago and as you mention, there were some reports of them. As I remember from what I read, it seemed most of the reports were dated in the 70's, and maybe early 80's.

This pic is said to be a replica of a cast made from a track found in the San Gabriel Mtns. in 1974.

It's certainly odd looking with it's three toes and curved shape.

161394408_losangelthrede.thumb.jpg.2b47ff00fb135fa9f288a72c9ebe9728.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The species of rattlesnake found in the San Gabriel mountaims, the Southern Pacific rattlesnake, has the second most virulent venom of the U.S. rattlers, after the Mojave rattlesnake, found farther east in California, and into arizona. Research has discovered that the venom of both of these species is evolving, getting progressively more toxic, which begs the question of what, aside from developing immunities on the part of the prey, might be triggering this sustained change, and if so, how does it impact other species sharing these habitats?

On 2/9/2023 at 9:17 AM, guyzonthropus said:

The species of rattlesnake found in the San Gabriel mountaims, the Southern Pacific rattlesnake, has the second most virulent venom of the U.S. rattlers, after the Mojave rattlesnake, found farther east in California, and into arizona. Research has discovered that the venom of both of these species is evolving, getting progressively more toxic, which begs the question of what, aside from developing immunities on the part of the prey, might be triggering this sustained change, and if so, how does it impact other species sharing these habitats?

My Mom and I were hiking a trail along the Rogue River near Gold Beach, Oregon, and I was behind her. She stopped and bent over to look in this fern because a cricket was chirping.  She froze then slowly backed up and let out a yell to my dad who was way off on the gravel bar. I asked her what she saw, and she said a Timber Rattle Snake was staring her in the face! By the time my dad got there, it had slithered off. This was in 1957 and I remember it clearly. 

Can you tell which one is a Southern Pacific Rattlesnake that is in the San Garriel mountains that has thick blochy tail bands, and which is the Timber Rattle Snake that lives in Oregon?   Hint: Around 1963, while on a hike near the Rogue River I came across the Timber Rattler that had thin bands on its tail.

Now I threw in a harmless Bull Snake into the mix that I used to have for pets! Which is which? They are safe.

I wonder what Bigfoots do when they come across a rattlesnake or a bull snake? I'll bet they eat them like a hot dog, guts and all? Do they skin them first? Nourishing but not for me. They must know the difference since they seem to be an ape/person with intelligence. If a rattle snake bit an 800 pound bigfoot what would happen? 

Snake A

The Stream Of Time: Wisconsin Bull Snakes

Snake B

Tennessee Man Captures Gargantuan Rattlesnake In Backyard

Snake C

Southern Pacific Rattlesnake. Photograph by John Bell

Just now, georgerm said:

My Mom and I were hiking a trail along the Rogue River near Gold Beach, Oregon, and I was behind her. She stopped and bent over to look in this fern because a cricket was chirping.  She froze then slowly backed up and let out a yell to my dad who was way off on the gravel bar. I asked her what she saw, and she said a Timber Rattle Snake was staring her in the face! By the time my dad got there, it had slithered off. This was in 1957 and I remember it clearly. 

Can you tell which one is a Southern Pacific Rattlesnake that is in the San Gabriel mountains that has thick blochy tail bands, and which is the Timber Rattle Snake that lives in Oregon?   Hint: Around 1963, while on a hike near the Rogue River I came across the Timber Rattler that had thin bands on its tail.

Now I threw in a harmless Bull Snake into the mix that I used to have for pets! Which is which? They are safe.

I wonder what Bigfoots do when they come across a rattlesnake or a bull snake? I'll bet they eat them like a hot dog, guts and all? Do they skin them first? Nourishing but not for me. They must know the difference since they seem to be an ape/person with intelligence. If a rattle snake bit an 800 pound bigfoot what would happen? 

Snake A

The Stream Of Time: Wisconsin Bull Snakes

Snake B

Tennessee Man Captures Gargantuan Rattlesnake In Backyard

Snake C

Southern Pacific Rattlesnake. Photograph by John Bell

We live in Coos Bay, Oregon, that has 40k people in town and rural. There seem to be more and more deer that live in town. I wonder if bigfoot is hunting them and driving them into town?  Cougars and bigfoot share the same habitat. Bigfoots are stealthy like cougars so are they hunting closer to town too?

Google Maps

COOS BAY, Ore. - Coos Bay residents are on alert after a cougar sighting Tuesday morning.

The large cat was seen near the Marshfield High School football field traveling from south 9th Street up toward 11th Street.

Some residents say they heard disturbing animal noises throughout the night leading up to the sighting.

Cintia Jeffs says her husband spotted the cougar, and she quickly took action.

"My husband was on the back porch and glanced over seeing a cougar walking down the alley," Jeffs said. "He came inside to let me know because our daughter was walking home from work. So I posted on the site to let our neighbors know to keep their pets indoors."

Jeffs said that, while alarming, cougar sightings aren't uncommon in that area.