2023 Urban Bigfoot, Seriously?

Lake County Bigfooot

7 hours ago, georgerm said:

My Mom and I were hiking a trail along the Rogue River near Gold Beach, Oregon, and I was behind her. She stopped and bent over to look in this fern because a cricket was chirping.  She froze then slowly backed up and let out a yell to my dad who was way off on the gravel bar. I asked her what she saw, and she said a Timber Rattle Snake was staring her in the face! By the time my dad got there, it had slithered off. This was in 1957 and I remember it clearly. 

Can you tell which one is a Southern Pacific Rattlesnake that is in the San Garriel mountains that has thick blochy tail bands, and which is the Timber Rattle Snake that lives in Oregon?   Hint: Around 1963, while on a hike near the Rogue River I came across the Timber Rattler that had thin bands on its tail.

Now I threw in a harmless Bull Snake into the mix that I used to have for pets! Which is which? They are safe.

I wonder what Bigfoots do when they come across a rattlesnake or a bull snake? I'll bet they eat them like a hot dog, guts and all? Do they skin them first? Nourishing but not for me. They must know the difference since they seem to be an ape/person with intelligence. If a rattle snake bit an 800 pound bigfoot what would happen? 

Snake A

The Stream Of Time: Wisconsin Bull Snakes

Snake B

Tennessee Man Captures Gargantuan Rattlesnake In Backyard

Snake C

Southern Pacific Rattlesnake. Photograph by John Bell

Hmm, I'm confused. I don't see a Timber Rattler.

Here's a quick image of one:

hrdmcna69jh11.jpg

On 2/12/2023 at 5:53 PM, Incorrigible1 said:

hrdmcna69jh11.jpg

On 2/12/2023 at 5:53 PM, Incorrigible1 said:

hrdmcna69jh11.jpg

It's snake B in the group of three. Can I call you Incorr? Did the three snakes I posted turn out ok. The snake you show has the tail hidden and I can't tell. You need to see the rattles and the dark tail stripes that are narrow and close  together.  If invesitgating in Oregon, you need to know what Timber Rattlers look like. 

One doesn't need to see a tail to identify a Timber Rattler. The band's encircling the body are clearly evident and conclusive.

You haven't pictured a Timber.

I'm pretty sure Timber Rattlers are not found in Orgeon but there is the Northern Pacific rattlesnake and the Great Basin rattlesnake. Both are a subspecies of Crotalus oreganus. Here is a Timber Rattler I almost stepped on:

TimberRattlerLP7-2-20.thumb.jpg.e4dd4e64a6fab14972d7bd7533880f5c.jpg

1 hour ago, georgerm said:

It's snake B in the group of three. Can I call you Incorr? Did the three snakes I posted turn out ok. The snake you show has the tail hidden and I can't tell. You need to see the rattles and the dark tail stripes that are narrow and close  together.  If invesitgating in Oregon, you need to know what Timber Rattlers look like. 

220px-Crotalus_horridus_range.png

7 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I'm pretty sure Timber Rattlers are not found in Orgeon but there is the Northern Pacific rattlesnake and the Great Basin rattlesnake. Both are a subspecies of Crotalus oreganus. Here is a Timber Rattler I almost stepped on:

TimberRattlerLP7-2-20.thumb.jpg.e4dd4e64a6fab14972d7bd7533880f5c.jpg

I caught a Timber Rattle Snake if Oregon along the illanois river trail. Some may identify it in other ways but I noticed the narrow dark bands on the tail as this picture shows. Click on this URL and you will see this snake that is identical to the one I caught. We don't want to mislead the public. This is the same snake that nearly bit her in the face.

oregon timber rattlesnake images - Search (bing.com)

Western Rattlesnake - Oregon Conservation Strategy

1 hour ago, georgerm said:

I caught a Timber Rattle Snake if Oregon along the illanois river trail. Some may identify it in other ways but I noticed the narrow dark bands on the tail as this picture shows. Click on this URL and you will see this snake that is identical to the one I caught. We don't want to mislead the public. This is the same snake that nearly bit her in the face.

oregon timber rattlesnake images - Search (bing.com)

Western Rattlesnake - Oregon Conservation Strategy

Western rattlesnake, Crotalus oreganus.

The only rattlesnake species in the state.

https://www.oregonconservationstrategy.org/strategy-species/western-rattlesnake/

Timber rattlesnake, Crotalus horridus, aren't found west of the continental divide.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Western rattlesnake, Crotalus oreganus.

The only rattlesnake species in the state.

https://www.oregonconservationstrategy.org/strategy-species/western-rattlesnake/

Timber rattlesnake, Crotalus horridus, aren't found west of the continental divide.

It’s like calling Western Larch trees Tamarack which grows in Ohio. These names followed the pioneers out west.

Also we always called them Rattlers or Diamond backs. And if you have lots of Bull snakes which my ranch does? No Rattlers. They say the Bulls eat the Rattlers. But also my ranch is more north slope which may have something to do with it.

4 hours ago, norseman said:

Also we always called them Rattlers or Diamond backs. And if you have lots of Bull snakes which my ranch does? No Rattlers. They say the Bulls eat the Rattlers. But also my ranch is more north slope which may have something to do with it.

Interesting that Bull Snakes eat rattlers. I always like to run across Bull Snakes since they have interesting markings and eat mice and rats making them beneficial. What state are you in Norseman? Any bigfoots close by? Do you have cattle?

48 minutes ago, georgerm said:

Interesting that Bull Snakes eat rattlers. I always like to run across Bull Snakes since they have interesting markings and eat mice and rats making them beneficial. What state are you in Norseman? Any bigfoots close by? Do you have cattle?

Thats the wives tale. Not sure how true it is.

NE Washington. 

Ive never seen a Bigfoot.

Yes. On the ranch. My son runs that now. Im 6 miles from Idaho semi retired.

Actually it's kingsnakes(Lampropeltis) that will eat rattlesnakes, not the gopher/bull/pine snakes(pituophis) which eat rodents and birds.  

The first rattlesnake pictured above, the one with the reddish vertebral stripe, is actually a Canebreak rattlesnake that used to be considered a subspecies of the timber rattlesnake but has since been elevated to its own species. 

The rattlesnake in Oregon is the Northern Pacific rattlesnake(Crotalus oreganus)shown in a subsequent picture, once considered a subspecies of the prairie rattlesnake(Crotalid viridis) which had a huge range and ten or more subspecies, many of which have been either grouped into a single species or raised to species status on their own. 

As to what sasquatch do with them, I'd imagine most rattlesnakes give ample notice to 500lb bipeds walking anywhere near them. I'd think it's the youngsters that are in most danger, in part due to lower weight, and therefore reduced "seismic tremors" as well as more apt to sustain tissue damage from the same amount of venom an adult would receive from a bite, and also because the younger ones may not register right off the danger the snakes warning sound represents, with its curiosity taking over. After all, what's gonna hurt you when you're the kings son, right?  Well, snakes will. 

The northern Pacific rattlesnake does have a toxic venom, it's not nearly as virulent as that of the Southern pacific, and therefore probably doesnt prove fatal to large bodied creatures, at least not usually. They may be one of the things that take a toll on the younger smaller ones. I've long considered that at least some of the three and four toed prints might come from individuals who suffered a bite to the foot when young and lost a couple toes to the venom, and then over the years their foot compensates and spreads out what toes it has left. This idea usually gets turned down, so I can't be sure of the veracity, but I still hold its a possibility in some cases.

Norseman, what it could be due to is the bullsnakes out competing the rattlesnakes, as bull snakes are very good at what they do. Down here in so. California I usually see more rattlesnakes than I do any other single species, but gopher(bull)snakes come in at a pretty close second, then the California kingsnake, followed by the California whipsnake, then the California mountain kingsnake(with red, black and white bands) Theres also the rosy boa, and its relatively close relative the rubber boa, two small boa species rarely over 3' and usually rather secretive so not seen all that much.

• Thanks 1

Guy, I’m impressed and pleased with your knowledge of snakes. Are you a herpetologist by profession or interest? What states have you gone helping in?

18 hours ago, guyzonthropus said:

The first rattlesnake pictured above, the one with the reddish vertebral stripe, is actually a Canebreak rattlesnake that used to be considered a subspecies of the timber rattlesnake but has since been elevated to its own species.

Good stuff, except the Canebreak is not a separate species.

It's still Crotalus horridus, same as the Timber.

Neither are found west of the continental divide.