2023 Urban Bigfoot, Seriously?

Lake County Bigfooot

On 2/19/2023 at 4:34 PM, guyzonthropus said:

And georgem...yeah I can differentiate between timber rattlesnakes, northern pacific rattlesnakes, and the gopher/bull/pine snakes. A gopher snake, what we call em in so california, was my second snake ever, back in 3rd grade. He lived another 19 years!

WOW THAT'S AMAZING FOR KEEPING A PET SNAKE. I ASSUME TIMBER RATTLERS DON'T LIVE IN OREGON. 

11 hours ago, 7.62 said:

The strangest interaction I had with a snake was bow hunting early season . It was time to climb down because it was sunset and getting dark and when I looked down

there was a large 6 foot plus rat snake coiled up at the bottom of the tree . I got down to the 7 th step and it tried to strike at me . I was like get out of here and started

swinging the bow at it and it finally went far enough away for me to climb down. Next day I went to hunt the next spot and it was coiled up again next to my stand .

When I got closer it gave that fake rattle and it looked pissed off so I decided to hunt another part of the forest . I had several stands installed there on private land .

My guess maybe it had it's nest there and eggs hidden somewhere 

THE FAKE RATTLE IS FUNNY. GLAD YOU LET IT ALONE.

11 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Ratsnakes are the best! Consummate vermin hunters, very arboreal, and quick with that tail-shake, like bullsnakes. I kinda doubt your guess, as they don't provide care nor protection for their eggs.

I kept one for several years. He (it, I didn't probe it) had a voracious appetite for rodents, and wouldn't accept pre-killed offerings.

A PET SNAKE FOR 7 YEARS IS AMAZING. I HAD A PET BULL SNAKE OR RAT SNAKE FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS THEN LET IT GO.

Yeah, ratsnakes are hard workers, keeping up on the rodents. I've kept a few species myself over the years, though it's odd to think of one not taking pre-killed prey, but every snake is an individual!

7.62..ratsnakes arent going to do anything to yas, just scoot em out of the way. They can put on a good defensive display.

Georgerm, I currently have a rosy boa(a small species from American south west) that a friend raised for 15 years and I've had for 7, she's probably got another 10 in her, most of my others are between 5-7 years old, just getting ready to breed for the first time this year.

On 2/23/2023 at 1:47 AM, guyzonthropus said:

Yeah, ratsnakes are hard workers, keeping up on the rodents. I've kept a few species myself over the years, though it's odd to think of one not taking pre-killed prey, but every snake is an individual!  Yeah, they are not scavengers and only feed on the freshest meat.

7.62..ratsnakes arent going to do anything to yas, just scoot em out of the way. They can put on a good defensive display.

Georgerm, I currently have a rosy boa(a small species from American south west) that a friend raised for 15 years and I've had for 7, she's probably got another 10 in her, most of my others are between 5-7 years old, just getting ready to breed for the first time this year. Glad you snakes are doing well.

• 1 month later...

I've wondered a lot about the likelihood of a Sasquatch coming into the town I live in.  I'm in rural farm country in Michigan.   Though I've not seen them, I've heard that coyotes are coming into the area more and more in recent years.  I live near a co op so I imagine there are all kinds of critters running around.   I've asked a few hunters I know, none say they have ever seen anything out of the ordinary and that a large creature like that would not have much cover here.  

I used to go out to a nature center about 20 minutes or so from my house.  The trails are nice to walk or jog or take the dog.  During events, there can be a few dozen or so people out there but usually I never run onto more than a handful of people there.  One time, last summer I was there jogging and realized that it had gotten quiet.  No birds.  None of the usual rustling.  I didn't see anything that I hadn't seen before in the woods and there were no people there either.   I just had an odd feeling  and didn't feel comfortable being there alone.  I've walked and jogged at that preserve a lot, even taken my dog and kid out there.   That was the first and only time I've been creeped out before there.  That day, I finished my lap and left.  

Since then, and even then I assumed it was just my imagination but I didn't imagine the sudden silence.   There's always birds and small animals running around out there 

Anyway,  I came across this post and wanted to share because again,  I've wondered about the possibility of a Sasquatch coming around this area. 

• Upvote 3

Hello Vamparilla;

We need to pay attention to the quiet spooky silence that you describe. You should always be armed out on trails at least with a strong 6 to 8 inch fixed blade knife attached to a belt with a leather sheath.  If a predator is watching you, you will feel it or other times it's simply a silent moment. Watch a you tube video on Marine Corps knife fighting as we were taught or carry a 38 revolver. Feel safe, be safe, have fun. 

"Every town has a history—you know, the stuff they teach you in school and brag about on those fancy, roadside historical markers. But what about the stuff they don’t teach you? What other notable happenings have slipped through the cracks and been lost to time? This is the history of one small western Pennsylvania town. It’s also a collection of some not-so-well-known historical accounts—long-forgotten tales of strange encounters, mysterious beasts, and ancient legends. How much truth is in these stories…well, that’s up for you, the reader, to decide.valentinebrkich.com"    Bigfoot Slept Here: A Partly True But Way More Exciting History of One Small Town: Brkich, Valentine J, Durbin, Frederic S, Harper, Daniel: 9780981687797: Amazon.com: Books

• Upvote 1

Thank you Geo!  That is good advice.  I didn't think about the kinds of predators that could have been watching me.  I'm not even sure what kinds of wildlife are all in this area.  I will definitely keep your advice in mind because I am a little nervous about going back out there.  

1 hour ago, georgerm said:

Hello Vamparilla;

We need to pay attention to the quiet spooky silence that you describe. You should always be armed out on trails at least with a strong 6 to 8 inch fixed blade knife attached to a belt with a leather sheath.  If a predator is watching you, you will feel it or other times it's simply a silent moment. Watch a you tube video on Marine Corps knife fighting as we were taught or carry a 38 revolver. Feel safe, be safe, have fun. 

"Every town has a history—you know, the stuff they teach you in school and brag about on those fancy, roadside historical markers. But what about the stuff they don’t teach you? What other notable happenings have slipped through the cracks and been lost to time? This is the history of one small western Pennsylvania town. It’s also a collection of some not-so-well-known historical accounts—long-forgotten tales of strange encounters, mysterious beasts, and ancient legends. How much truth is in these stories…well, that’s up for you, the reader, to decide.valentinebrkich.com"    Bigfoot Slept Here: A Partly True But Way More Exciting History of One Small Town: Brkich, Valentine J, Durbin, Frederic S, Harper, Daniel: 9780981687797: Amazon.com: Books

I've wondered a lot about the likelihood of a Sasquatch coming into the town I live in.  I'm in rural farm country in Michigan.   Though I've not seen them, I've heard that coyotes are coming into the area more and more in recent years.  I live near a co op so I imagine there are all kinds of critters running around.   I've asked a few hunters I know, none say they have ever seen anything out of the ordinary and that a large creature like that would not have much cover here.  

I used to go out to a nature center about 20 minutes or so from my house.  The trails are nice to walk or jog or take the dog.  During events, there can be a few dozen or so people out there but usually I never run onto more than a handful of people there.  One time, last summer I was there jogging and realized that it had gotten quiet.  No birds.  None of the usual rustling.  I didn't see anything that I hadn't seen before in the woods and there were no people there either.   I just had an odd feeling  and didn't feel comfortable being there alone.  I've walked and jogged at that preserve a lot, even taken my dog and kid out there.   That was the first and only time I've been creeped out before there.  That day, I finished my lap and left.  

Since then, and even then I assumed it was just my imagination but I didn't imagine the sudden silence.   There's always birds and small animals running around out there 

Anyway,  I came across this post and wanted to share because again,  I've wondered about the possibility of a Sasquatch coming around this area. 

On 4/11/2023 at 7:06 PM, Vamparilla said:

I have no idea if a Sasquatch was there but reading your post always trust your gut and your lizard brain . When something feels wrong it  most likely is 

Edited by 7.62

On 1/20/2023 at 6:51 PM, NorthWind said:

Not many in Oregon, and virtually none where we go. Most are in the Eastern side of the Cascades. Not a fan of them, either. But Florida was the worst of the places I've stomped around in.

I do not go out without snake boots.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Brian said:

We don't have lots in Oregon and most would not know what one looks like and get bit. 

• Haha 1

On 4/17/2023 at 7:10 PM, Brian said:

I also never go out anymore without thick leather boots and snake gaiters even though I much prefer lightweight trail runners. You lose the nimble feeling with clodhoppers but they do protect.

Only a handful of peple die each year from a venomous bite. I'm more concerned about losing a foot because I can't get to a hospital and get antivenom quickly enough.

• Upvote 1