Sierra Sounds

spacemonkeymafia

If you listen to enough recordings of vocalizations, there is a familiar quality to many of them as compared to the Sierra Sounds. Stan Courtney has a pretty impressive collection. 

On 1/8/2023 at 2:51 PM, Northern Lights said:

One of the things that strikes me as odd is that the recordings are 8 hours in total length (if I recall correctly).   

Other than the 2 CD's available, Ron Morehead lost the rest of the original tapes in a house fire. There was a lot more really incredible recordings lost in the fire.

11 hours ago, OldMort said:

Where were you and where do you think the Sierra sounds were recorded?

Didn't we already go through this a while back?

All Ron Morehead will say is "Somewhere between Yosemite and Lake Tahoe"......according to Ron, it's 8 miles in by horseback in the Sierra Nevada range.

On 1/8/2023 at 1:51 PM, Northern Lights said:

One of the things that strikes me as odd is that the recordings are 8 hours in total length (if I recall correctly).   

I don't follow those recordings but I know a couple things. Many years ago, perhaps the 1st CD, the audio was assembled for CD presentation. The person who put the tracks together stated that the project was for entertainment purposes. IIRC, there was an under employed actor doing a voice-over / narration.

The camping structure was illegal. Taking deer away from Sasquatch is a bad idea. If you harvest deer, how do you keep the Sasquatch from taking your meat? If they want it, they will take it.  My read on the activities is that Sasquatch would have destroyed their structure.

The entertainment genre rolls on.

I have always held Ron Moorehead's recordings in the highest esteem.

However. I find his "woo"ier claims to be spurious at best.

I am also well aware of my bias against Orbs and Portal claims. I have to fight the urge to dismiss Ron like I usually do with claims like these because his recordings seem so genuine.  Plus, he seems like a really cool guy and I'd love to sit around a fire with him.

I just finished reading Ron's book on the sounds and its a fairly quick, breezy read. I too find the sounds very intriguing and if you asked me if I was certain they were Squatch made, I would be forced to say no. I mean, I don't think you can be absolutely certain. My brain has me thinking I heard extremely similar sounds watching a different Bigfoot film only it was during footage of two animals fighting. I seem to recall thinking that it sounded just like the Sierra sounds and I have racked my brain trying to figure it out. I tell you this, i could handle a whoop , a howl, or a wood knock....but that **** chatter would make me ruin my undies.

As for Ron's woo aspects, yeah...i automatically dismiss all of that. In no way do I believe Bigfoot teleports to a different dimension, or can turn invisible, and what not. I think our brains try to adapt our mindset to explain the unexplainable so some may think if they can't see a BF but can hear it, it must be an interdimensional being traveling through the cosmos.

1 hour ago, Catmandoo said:

I don't follow those recordings but I know a couple things. Many years ago, perhaps the 1st CD, the audio was assembled for CD presentation. The person who put the tracks together stated that the project was for entertainment purposes. IIRC, there was an under employed actor doing a voice-over / narration.

The camping structure was illegal. Taking deer away from Sasquatch is a bad idea. If you harvest deer, how do you keep the Sasquatch from taking your meat? If they want it, they will take it.  My read on the activities is that Sasquatch would have destroyed their structure.

The entertainment genre rolls on.

The recordings were studied twice in the late 70's. The findings were; they were well above and below the normal human range. Also within the normal human range. They also concluded the vocalizations were not human voices sped up, slowed down, or played backwards. Also no evidence of a 60 cycle hum which is evident in many "produced" sounds, as in a studio. In one of the studies, they determined the louder sounds came from an 8' tall individual, according to the length of vocal cords needed to produce such sounds.

The sasquatch, at least on one occasion, came up and peeled back the cheesecloth they had covering the deer carcass. So, they had an opportunity to steal it, but did not. They never attempted to enter the structure, at least with people in it, or around it.

Jonathan Frakes (Star Trek fame) did the voice over for the first CD. "For entertainment purposes" ???? Aren't all CD's for entertainment purposes? Not sure what that has to do with anything.

13 minutes ago, cromag said:

In one of the studies, they determined the louder sounds came from an 8' tall individual, according to the length of vocal cords needed to produce such sounds

I remember seeing something like that, and also seeing that if somebody holds a tube up to their lips they can produce a similar effect.

7 minutes ago, Chim Chim said:

I remember seeing something like that, and also seeing that if somebody holds a tube up to their lips they can produce a similar effect.

Don't know if you've ever heard the Sierra Sounds, but the 2nd CD is really interesting. There's much greater variety of vocalizations than in the 1st CD. That would have to be a human with massive lung capacity and one big tube to produce that level of resonance.

On 1/8/2023 at 12:32 PM, GuyInIndiana said:

We've experienced 'similar' sounds under different circumstances. Here's a couple I could find that I knew where to find in my archives. I'll look thru and see what else I can find that's like that. 

Thanks for sharing. Sounds good. I actually enjoy supposed Sasquatch  Sounds. 

If the Sierra Sounds are fake and I assume they are. They are really good. 

3 hours ago, Tom Lawless said:

I have always held Ron Moorehead's recordings in the highest esteem.

However. I find his "woo"ier claims 

I am also well aware of my bias against Orbs and Portal claims. I have to fight the urge to dismiss Ron like I usually do with claims like these because his recordings seem so genuine.  Plus, he seems like a really cool guy and I'd love to sit around a fire with him.

2 hours ago, CelticKevin said:

As for Ron's woo aspects, yeah...i automatically dismiss all of that. In no way do I believe Bigfoot teleports to a different dimension, or can turn invisible, and what not. I think our brains try to adapt our mindset to explain the unexplainable so some may think if they can't see a BF but can hear it, it must be an interdimensional being traveling through the cosmos.

I’ve started originally investigating ghost and that sort of paranormal, now I’m slowing shifting to Sasquatches 

For the Woo aspects. I have grown up in haunted house, I have experienced it all. Apparitions, things moving by themself, EVPs and the like. They are all real things. 

I NEVER thought of the forest to ever hold such things that fall along the paranormal side of things. 

Having gone out to near where the Sierra Sounds were recorded, I have encountered Orbs flying through the forest, the samurai chatter, UFOs/uaps and the Woo that people talk about. 

I know not everyone sees those things out in the forest, and I know a lot of bigfooters don’t see the woo but I know a lot that do. As of now, I don’t have reason to believe the orbs are Sasquatches, I do believe there may be something with the area that may be drawing things in. I have seen Sasquatches that have “vanished” without a trace, but I do believe that is simply because they are so stealthy and quick. They were probably still hiding in plain sight and I just didn’t notice them. 

I don’t believe every forest has the “woo” just like I’ve seen every house isn’t haunted. I think certain areas just attract different things.

13 minutes ago, DarkEyes said:

I’ve started originally investigating ghost and that sort of paranormal, now I’m slowing shifting to Sasquatches 

For the Woo aspects. I have grown up in haunted house, I have experienced it all. Apparitions, things moving by themself, EVPs and the like. They are all real things. 

I NEVER thought of the forest to ever hold such things that fall along the paranormal side of things. 

Having gone out to near where the Sierra Sounds were recorded, I have encountered Orbs flying through the forest, the samurai chatter, UFOs/uaps and the Woo that people talk about. 

I know not everyone sees those things out in the forest, and I know a lot of bigfooters don’t see the woo but I know a lot that do. As of now, I don’t have reason to believe the orbs are Sasquatches, I do believe there may be something with the area that may be drawing things in. I have seen Sasquatches that have “vanished” without a trace, but I do believe that is simply because they are so stealthy and quick. They were probably still hiding in plain sight and I just didn’t notice them. 

I don’t believe every forest has the “woo” just like I’ve seen every house isn’t haunted. I think certain areas just attract different things.

This I can agree with. While I do believe in UFO/UAP, ghosts, etc (having experienced things myself which I can not deny) ....I just think Sasquatches are a totally, natural species with certain survival skills that make them more elusive than most. 

6 hours ago, cromag said:

they determined the louder sounds came from an 8' tall individual, according to the length of vocal cords needed to produce such sounds.

I had no idea that one could guess the height of a Sasquatch based on the length of vocal cords. There aren't any published details about vocal cord length gleaned from autopsy.

A screech owl is a very small owl but the noise it generates is incredibly loud.

A photographer with infrared film joined one of the adventures. I don't know what evolution / year. Depending on the year, he used infrared flash bulbs ( BC--battery capacitor flash ), or a SunPak Nocto 400 flash gun or a SunPak 622 flash gun ( 'potato masher' size ). Regardless, 'they' have zero images of 'Sierra' Sasquatch on film.

Edited by Catmandoo
text

5 hours ago, DarkEyes said:

Agreed. I think both phenomena are plausible, yet unrelated. I think trying to combine the two is too tall of a task to try to prove, even if correlation equaled causation.

47 minutes ago, MisterMATT said:

the sierra sounds are HAUNTING....would ya'll agree?

I wouldn't use that word, no, not given their context.