Bigfoot Makes House Calls?

Woodslore

Saskeptic, guess where I would place you under my two groups? I did not say that "Science" is doing anything, I am only referring the mindset and practice of posters on this board.

I think bigfoot is mythological, and nothing more. I've seen no evidence sufficient to convince me otherwise.

Opinions are like belly buttons and everyone has one.

I would, however, be absolutely thrilled to be wrong about this, and so would just about every other biologist with whom I've ever discussed the topic (which is most of them I know well). "Science" is not entrenched in an anti-bigfoot bias and engaged in some massive cover-up to save face or something.

Science is made up of scientists who are unconvinced by the data offered to-date for bigfoot.

Can you name these scientist? You seem to think that you speak of all scientist. How do your credentials compare with Meldrum, Krantz, and Goodall?

Because the so-called evidence has been so scanty and so poor,

This is your opinion only. There are scientist who disagree with you so speak for yourself. Many agree the evidence is strong but more is needed.

scientists are rightfully highly skeptical of any new claims and would be reluctant to accept them without very careful scrutiny. But if some new evidence stood up to that scrutiny and established that we indeed do have bigfoots in our midst, then who cares about having been wrong to be skeptical? Not me. I'll take "bigfoot + a big pile of crow on plate" over "no bigfoot and no crow on my plate" hands down.

Edited by georgerm

IF good evidence was provided, you'd be surprised how many would reconsider

From what I have read from some pseudoskeptics here (I do not consider you one), the only good evidence they would consider is a body or a piece of one. If I had a really good picture of bf myself, this would be one of the last places I would share it with. I probably would share it with the few scientists that take this subject seriously and are actively seeking evidence and also ask them to keep it completely private.

Does anyone know if newer digital cameras have the ability to store location data within a picture? Can you imagine posting a picture on a public forum and then have the area where the picture was taken over run with people? No thanks. UPs

Guest gershake

If I had a really good picture of bf myself, this would be one of the last places I would share it with.  I probably would share it with the few scientists that take this subject seriously and are actively seeking evidence and also ask them to keep it completely private.  

Welp, **** me over. :( (Thank God we have a word filter, or several of you would faint now) 

Edited by gershake

See Saskeptic's post. :) Or does any part of it sound illogical to you?

All of it, because I haven't seen any proof to back it up, & I don't believe it.

Edited by Sasfooty

All of it, because I haven't seen any proof to back it up, & I don't believe it.

If you'd like me to prove to you that I would happy to have been wrong about bigfoot if bigfoot was proven to be right then I'm afraid you'll have to wait until someone provides some proof of bigfoot.

From what I have read from some pseudoskeptics here (I do not consider you one), the only good evidence they would consider is a body or a piece of one.

What else would be sufficient to establish the existence of a bigfoot and determine what it is?

If I had a really good picture of bf myself, this would be one of the last places I would share it with. I probably would share it with the few scientists that take this subject seriously and are actively seeking evidence and also ask them to keep it completely private.

Are you implying that a skeptic cannot take the subject seriously?

From post #394, in which the quotes are messed up:

"Opinions are like belly buttons and everyone has one."

And I shared mine on a discussion forum.

"Can you name these scientist?"

Sure: Jim, Sam, Carolyn, Sarah, Ramon, Andy, Jason, Sarah, Matt . . .

This is your opinion only. There are scientist who disagree with you so speak for yourself.

I was speaking (writing) for myself and the many colleagues with whom I've discussed the potential for the reality of bigfoot. We're skeptical. Does our perspective accurately reflect the overall scientific consensus? Yes. Can I prove that? Yes. Check here: http://tolweb.org/tree/. There's no bigfoot.

If you'd like me to prove to you that I would happy to have been wrong about bigfoot if bigfoot was proven to be right then I'm afraid you'll have to wait until someone provides some proof of bigfoot.

How would you go about proving what you feel? I couldn't believe whatever you said, because it would be nothing more than an unsubstantiated claim.

Ya know, kind of like I can't prove what I see & know.

Edited to add: (Be sure to answer this question, then hopefully, I will know how I can provide proof.)

Edited by Sasfooty

How would you go about proving what you feel?

How about renting a big billboard, plastering my face on it, and including the text "I'm the Saskeptic, and I'm thrilled to have been wrong about my bigfoot skepticism." I could publish a paper like "What a fool I was to doubt Sasfooty." You know, stuff like that.

Look if bigfoot is real, I get to go to Alaska and treat Huntster to dinner. A real bigfoot would RULE!

That would all be very nice, but still....deep in my heart, I wouldn't KNOW that it was true. :unsure:

It would just be something you were saying, even though you were screaming it to the world.

I wouldn't KNOW.

I wouldn't KNOW.

No, you wouldn't know. I could just be putting on a brave face in public but crying myself to sleep every night, lamenting the fact that I had said bigfoot was a myth when it turned out to be real. The horror of it all . . .

That's right! :P

And nobody will ever prove it's a myth, so you will never get the satisfaction of me having to admit I was wrong.

Sad isn't it?