The Echo Incident

Guest parnassus

Painthorse, on 29 October 2011 - 10:07 AM, said:I would like to know is what type of sights were used on the shot gun. Was it a regular bead front sight or was he using a conventional type scope, or a red dot scope?Also if using a scope how far was it set for? Was it set for 25 yards or fifty yards? If it was set at 25 yards your going to have a little drop depending on the type of scope being used. Your windage elevation either it's going to pull left or right. If the scope was set at 50 yards it's going to shoot high at the 25 to 30 yard distance. Also do you have any idea when the last time was he zeroed the gun in prior to taking the shot?

Here's what I got.

"Because the forest is so extremely dense, when we heard the noise, on an impulse I quickly grabbed my Remington shotgun because I did not know if I would meet up with something as I rounded a tree or a turn in the trail. I was ready for close-quarters. I saw the wood ape at a distance of around 30 yards or so as it walked smoothly to the south. The shotgun is equipped with a conventional bead front sight and I fired it extensively two weeks prior at a variety of distances."

Attached is a picture of the weapon Daryl used.

Hope that answers your question.

Yes it does, Thank you.

While it seems most of this thread has been about the shooting itself, I am trying to get a clearer picture of the sighting/encounter portion. Toward that end, I have the following questions:

1. I assume there are multiple cabins on the site. Are the cabins in the woods, kind of in a circle around a clearing? Or are the cabins huddled together in the woods and there is a clearing past what is called the "west cabin"?

2. Colyer sees the subject in the clearing. Since when he first sees the subject it is 25-30 yards away, I assume the clearing is roughly that wide. Was this portion of the sighting unobstructed by any trees or foliage? In other words, did he see the entire subject (head to toe), or just upper body? If he saw the entire subject, any comments in comparison to film of Patty walking away?

3. Are there steep elevations at the site that could have distorted height? I realize that a comparison was done to another team member, but I'd just like to know if there is the possiblity.

4. It states the episode occurred at 6p.m.-ish EDT. So this took place at 5p.m.-ish CST.

5. What are soil conditions like at this site? I know leaf covered, but underneath is it sandy soil, gravel, etc.

6. The trail followed subsequent to the shooting followed disturbed ground cover, not a blood trail, correct?

7. At least Colyer heard a car starting in the distance, but did not hear a bigfoot "crashing" through the trees or splashing in the creek, correct?

8. Are there any known caves in the geographic proximity?

OK, I think that's enough questions. I do appreciate the clarification to satisfy my curiosity. :))

1. I assume there are multiple cabins on the site. Are the cabins in the woods, kind of in a circle around a clearing? Or are the cabins huddled together in the woods and there is a clearing past what is called the "west cabin"?

The cabins are all apart from one another, not together. There's three in a rough line running west to east and one other to the north next to a hillside/mountain. I don't know exactly how far apart they are from one another, but I'd say about 100 yards or so each. Each is sitting in small clearing.

2. Colyer sees the subject in the clearing. Since when he first sees the subject it is 25-30 yards away, I assume the clearing is roughly that wide. Was this portion of the sighting unobstructed by any trees or foliage? In other words, did he see the entire subject (head to toe), or just upper body? If he saw the entire subject, any comments in comparison to film of Patty walking away?

Yes, he saw it just outside the clearing. Basically on its edge. I talk about this in the BFS being released later today. I know he saw it from the head down, I just don't know for sure how far down. In the unobstructed 10-foot gap, he could not have seen its feet due to the undergrowth. I'd say from about the knees up. He's never said anything to me comparing it to Patty.

3. Are there steep elevations at the site that could have distorted height? I realize that a comparison was done to another team member, but I'd just like to know if there is the possiblity.

The ground where the sighting took place is relatively flat.

4. It states the episode occurred at 6p.m.-ish EDT. So this took place at 5p.m.-ish CST.

Yes.

5. What are soil conditions like at this site? I know leaf covered, but underneath is it sandy soil, gravel, etc.

Hard and rocky. There are very few places where a track could be left around there, mostly down by the creek.

6. The trail followed subsequent to the shooting followed disturbed ground cover, not a blood trail, correct?

No one on Echo Team found any blood subsequent to the sighting.

7. At least Colyer heard a car starting in the distance, but did not hear a bigfoot "crashing" through the trees or splashing in the creek, correct?

He said the animal moved very smoothly and quietly. By the time he travelled the 25-30 yards to where it was, it presumably moved much faster away from him. In any event, no, I don't recall him saying he heard it moving away.

8. Are there any known caves in the geographic proximity?

Not that I'm aware of.

I am wondering seriously if Colyer had a hunting license for Oklahoma...

As we said in the statement, we proactively spoke to representatives of the local Sheriff's department on three occasions, told them what happened, and answered all questions to their satisfaction. They took no action and the matter is closed.

...keep in mind it was only 30 yards away. That is from home plate to first base. If bigfoot was leading off on first, you would know it's not a ball player.

That's a great way to put it.

Edited by bipto

All I know is Alex found it on the trial.

Do you mind asking him how far up the trail the tea container was found so we can get an idea of where everyone was when the shots were taken?

Guest parnassus

B

Thanks;

I carry a .44 magnum when I bow hunt for those self defense reasons; have encountered bear and lion but never needed it. It is very unusual to have to use such a weapon and very warranted; consent wouldn't be much of an issue... however, Colyer was not in a self-defense situation. He was hunting Bigfoot with the intent to shoot one whether or not it was self decense. I'm sure you see the difference. From what i read the land owner seems to be giving mixed messages or somebody is confused. From what he has said he feels kind of protective of bigfoots. I understand that the group resumed carrying firearms, but that could be for self defense and is not the same as them having permission to hunt with firearms. Does he now understand and approve of this group electively hunting and firing to kill a biped on his land, other than for self-defense?

To clarify, this weapon has a nine shot magazine. It may also hold a shell in the chamber? Did Colyer fire ten rounds?

Has the group or the landowner taken any precautions since this incident to ensure that they will not endanger humans?

I am not sure you answered my question about Colyer passing a hunter safety course.

Thanks

p

Edited by parnassus

Do you mind asking him how far up the trail the tea container was found so we can get an idea of where everyone was when the shots were taken?

Yes, I answered this yesterday.

They were about 75 yards away (25-30 between Daryl and the animal plus the addition 50 or so from where the animal crossed the trail to where their beverage was found) with a thick forest between them and not in the line of fire.

...this weapon has a nine shot magazine. It may also hold a shell in the chamber? Did Colyer fire ten rounds?

I believe it was fully loaded.

Has the group or the landowner taken any precautions since this incident to ensure that they will not endanger humans?

No. We were there for an addition three weeks or so and nothing happened that would cause us to think such precautions were necessary.

I am not sure you answered my question about Colyer passing a hunter safety course.

I'm not sure. I can ask.

We would have gotten *something* accomplished, and it would not be standing around making guesses!

Is that your impression of what happened after the encounter? If so, it is incorrect. There was a great deal of investigatory activity until it became too dark to see.

What happened to the family?

We presume they repaired their truck.

I'm not a hunter. I don't own a gun. I'm skeptical of the existence of Bigfoot. So, go ahead and get ready to be angry, folks (some of you anyway).

Did anyone see the "wood ape" other than Colyer? Diaz was following 50 to 60 feet behind. Colyer was rounding a bend on a "path" or "road" when he saw the creature. Did this bend preclude Diaz from seeing the sasquatch?

Colyer and Diaz were moving to investigate a sound they had heard before. On this BFF thread they were investigating a "knocking" sound, a term associated with Bigfoot activity. On the TBRC website, they were investigating a "banging".

Apparently Colyer and Diaz chose not to immediately pursue the sasquatch. Did they hear it moving through the woods away from them? Did they hear the massive creature move through the wooded area before the shot? Did Lawrence hear any large animal moving through the woods at this time?

Was it definitely established that the iced tea was left there by Branson's nephew's girlfriend? At Honobia, Branson alleged he had no idea that TBRC personnel on his property might try to kill a sasquatch. Is that true? When TBRC went back to conclude its Operation Endurance, did it agree not to try to collect a Bigfoot? Since Branson and others believe Bigfoot are "people", can TBRC be certain Colyer was attempting to kill an ape/Bigfoot, not a human/sasquatch?

Were any Bigfoot footprints found at the scene of the event? Was the "wood ape" in a heavily shaded area, with the shade obscuring a clean view? If the wood ape was seen moving away at an angle to Colyer, and it possessed long head hair, how certain is Colyer that the creature had a conical shaped head? Did he smell the "wood ape" at any time?

What explanation does Colyer offer for taking the shot and not bringing down his target?

Art said:

He fired one shot- 12 gauge 00-Buck at the bear

The only difficulty with both buckshot and slugs is the distance. Especially without a rifled slug barrel- slugs are no where as accurate as they are with a rifled barrel. Buckshot, although unquestionably lethal at short close range- obviously begins to scatter as the distance downrange from the muzzle increases....

Susi says:

It sounds like a 12 gauge shotgun could or perhaps should be a weapon of last defense when it becomes up close and personal with something trying to kill you.

Bipto, I may have missed it, but did Daryl describe the reaction of the creature when fired upon? It's movements have been described as fluid and quiet but was it nearly still when he shot, then ran off during the remaining shots? I'm trying to imagine what a guy in a gullie suit would do in that situation, in his right mind he would drop to the ground and start hollering "dont shoot".

With all due respect Bipto, but the sheriff's department wouldn't have been the ones to worry about the hunting license, that would have fallen to a game warden. It may appear that Colyer was carrying a weapon with the intent to hunt with, in Oklahoma, and being a Texas State Resident, did not have an out of stater hunting license. Regardless of it being on private land, Colyer was an out of stater and is required by law to have an out of stater hunting license in the state of Oklahoma when carrying a firearm like this in the woods. The TBRC should really consider evaluating their protocols and procedures for carrying weapons in the woods, including following local hunting regulations. JMHO