The Echo Incident

Guest parnassus

Slugs would have done the job if he had hit the target even at 75 yards. I have watched my father drop Axis deer at 100 yards with one slug. As a 13 year old boy I was very proud of him lol. Round placement is the single most important factor in killing power, period. A shooter cant miss fast enough to turn a charge regardless of the power of the weapon even if it's .500 nitro express.

Edited by Tautriadelta

Well you maybe right Zig, I'm just used to thinking out all of the ramifications of things, like a chess game. Maybe it wasn't a concern at the time before this happened because of what you and the other hunters say is the norm in a situation ( as if hunting sasquatch could ever be considered normal). I'll have to take everyone's word on that. However, I appreciate that Bipto is being forthright and speaking up. I think we can all learn something from what might have been a really bad situation.

I personally would not shoot one unless it going to harm me. In a situation like that, this no norm.

this was an on going research, so the land owner knew where they were ,and maybe should of informed the

nephew that they were in the area. I don't know if it was conveyed to the owner that they would be armed and if an opportunity presented itself they would harvest a specimen.

As far as how it happened I really don't believe that he acted in an unsafe manor.

unfortunately,in the bf community forums and blogs the facts get twisted and warped and the next thing you know,(witch is already happening)

there making this guy look like a trigger happy moron that was shooting up the woods and almost shot some one and that is far from what happened.

_

Edited by zigoapex

I have read and watched ranger Branson's interview...I love how he says Bigfoot are "nice" people. I sure hope he had no idea of the TBRC's plans to shoot one lol.

"Hey...here's the keys, good luck killing the nice people"

Can you imagine being the nephew? You head up to the secluded cabin...girlfriend/wife in tow, tea for two...romance on your mind...then KABLOOM! KABLOOM! KABLOOM!

Talk about taking the wind out of a man's sails...........

Edited by Tautriadelta

Well....after what just happened..I think I would rather face the wounded Sasquatch than have to be in the car with her tongue.gif

I am sure he got an ear-full all the way back to town.

Guest parnassus

Yep Parn, that's what the story says. The creature was 25-30 yards away, the person behind him was 60 feet away, there was someone following the creek bed where the creature ran. Not sure where the tea was at at this point. So what are you thinking about the tea?

Wadr Jodie I would like bipto to clarify. The story is not clear on these details.

Guest parnassus

A couple of other details:

There was another team member who was off somewhere out of sight to the side, correct?

the reported distance from Colyer to biped was only 25 to 30 yards, correct?

And the tea was 50 yards down the trail from Colyer or from the target?

I am trying to clarify how far the tea was from the shooter.

Guest FuriousGeorge

Is it possible that there was another scenario? The facts of the encounter are laid out in such a way that I'm seeing things a little differently too. I may be confused.

It seems like a few people were waiting on bigfoot. Two people entered the site with some iced tea. They were shot at, got in their truck in a hurry and split, leaving the iced tea behind.

If you're waiting around for bigfoot, everything will look like bigfoot. Everything will be bigfoot until it is identified as not being bigfoot. It doesn't seem like it ever made it to the "not bigfoot" stage. Especially through the foliage and they couldn't see it's front. Sizes over a distance are difficult to judge sometimes. The report says long hair on the back of the head and shoulders. Did the girl have long hair that could be draped over her shoulders? This could have turned out badly.

Hunters should be able to identify their targets by 100%. Not seeing the face is not 100%. Especially if were talking about trying to discern between bipedal species. If bigfoot exists, it's not the only biped out there. Yikes. Stories of hunters identifying their target by 99% or less usually make the news as a hunting accidents.

Maybe it was or maybe it wasn't a bf. When a shogun comes into play the "maybe it isn't" part should be the only thing on the shooters mind, and the way this article was written, it doesn't appear that way.

Bipto, the creator of these very forums released some very interesting audio recordings that were obtained as a result of Operation Endurance. If you want to hear them, download the latest episode of The Bigfoot Show on iTunes. It's very interesting how they obtained the audio. They left a mic running for about 8 hours (overnight) and some sounds that were previously undetected were recorded as their team was experiencing constant rock throwing on top of one of their cabin's roof throughout the night. I never quite knew what to make of the Sierra Sounds, but this recording sounds eerily similar. What makes these sounds even more compelling is their source. If the founder of these forums had become a hoaxer, I will have lost all faith in humanity. j/k

Seriously though, I don't think you can just dismiss this story, the TBRC was experiencing some very interesting things during this operation.

Could you post a link to the relevant 'Bigfoot Show' please?

The latest one i can find is episode 12 dated Aug 2009 re: The Michigan Recordings.

Is this the one?

http://m.podfeed.net/podcast/The+Bigfoot+Show/13863

The top one.

There have been many Bigfoot Shows since 2009. I hope the link works. I have a new phone and not up to speed on hyperlinks yet.

Bipto never mentions the shooting incident in the show, only that Colyer had a clear sighting. He played that one pretty close to his chest. His main purpose was to showcase the audio recordings obtained at the location - which are eerily reminiscent of the Sierra Sounds.

This is what scares me about 'BF people' that are armed in the woods! Like has already been touched on, when you have BF on the brain, everything is a BF...Every vocalization, every branch snap, every flash of fur you get a glimpse of, etc. I'd imagine that BF fever is tantamount to the Ebola virus, when in comparison to buck fever being the common cold. Considering that you won't become rich and famous for shooting a buck, I'd equate BF fever to the worst-case of gold fever. What's even scarier is the fact that a positive identification was never made before he engaged his target.(I've never even missed a 25-30 yd shot with my bow, btw) I'm not saying he wasn't shooting at a BF, but in the case of a bipedal something, or other, you'd better be 100% certain what you are leveling your rifle at. Ghillie suits are getting pretty good these days! If you have ever made one from dark burlap, you'll see how dangerous it could be to roam the timber in it if there were a bunch of trigger-happy BF-Busters out there. Also, I'd imagine that if your intent was to shoot a BF, you are leveling your rifle at sounds, until a positive I.D is made, so there is a chance that you could be in the situation where your rifle could end up pointed at a bi-pedal human at some point.(Not saying that D.C would've done that, but just in general) It still

mystifies me that you could miss from that range, but I wasn't there, so maybe there is more to it than I'm privy of. Most BF researchers aren't qualified, or well-versed in ANYTHING relative to BF, hunting, or WL in general, so use better discretion out there fellas! Know exactly what

you're doing before you get out there with 'I'm yer huckleberry' mentality. My lil' bro is a F&W officer, and I've heard stories that'll make your head spin about the

cavalier, and careless nature of people wielding weapons in the woods, let alone ones who are hunting the most

mythological beast of all-time! We've all heard a couple of stories so far about shooting at BF, and so far they are all epic FAILS in decision making, and puts a black eye on the whole BF community.

Edited by PacNWSquatcher

D.C seems like a respected researcher, and a good dude, so my intent is not to levy

any sort of disdain towards him, but the story just sounds bad. You have people with

iced tea high-tailing it for cover, that thought they were running from machine gun fire

from Ice-T, and an attempt to shoot a non-identified biped in the back. Would it be so hard to set up signs that a hunt is in progress, if you are trying to kill an upright biped on private property? Think of how the Sierra Shootings, and this particular incident sounds to anyone outside of the BF community. Maybe everyone should at least withhold certain aspects of these incidents that make them look like they have willful disregard towards safety, and hunting etiquette.

Is it possible that there was another scenario?

No, your proposed scenario is not at all how it happened. What happened is what was written down. Daryl knew exactly what it was he saw, from the top of its pointy head all the way down it's body. It was brown, big, hairy, and walked on two legs. There was absolutely no misidentification.

This is what scares me about 'BF people' that are armed in the woods! Like has already been touched on, when you have BF on the brain, everything is a BF...Every vocalization, every branch snap, every flash of fur you get a glimpse of, etc.

The TBRC has been operating in the area for more than ten years. We've seen many bear there (even during Operation Endurance) and know the difference between the two animals. You're attributing a state of mind to Colyer that simply didn't exist. Had that been a bear or a person, he would have been able to identify it as such and he would not have fired. Period.

Think of how the Sierra Shootings, and this particular incident sounds to anyone outside of the BF community.

There's no helping how this sounds to people outside the community or anywhere else. It is what it is.

The intention of releasing this information was to set the record straight in the most transparent and accurate way possible. What happened happened just exactly the way we've said it did. I stake my personal reputation on it.

Bipto never mentions the shooting incident in the show, only that Colyer had a clear sighting. He played that one pretty close to his chest.

The statement was being prepared when that show was recorded. It was the wrong venue to release the information, so I related only the sighting potion of the event. At that time, I knew the entire story would soon be released.

Edited by bipto

Guest Fanofsquatch

My first thought with the missed shots at that range were that there was a slight implication of the shape shifting dissapearing bigfoot. Don't know what to make of it but after spending countless hours reading sighting reports and looking at blobs over the years I cringe at thinking of one being shot. Seems the Erickson project has created a desperation to bag one first. Not directing anything at anybody, just my thoughts.

Wadr Jodie I would like bipto to clarify. The story is not clear on these details.

I think it is, but I'll give it another shot.

Colyer moved down the path toward the West Cabin with Diaz following at fifty or sixty feet. Lawrence was out of their sight as he followed a nearby parallel creek bed.

Generally speaking, the creek bed is paralel to the path Colyer and Diaz were on. I can't tell you the distance exactly, but they would have been separated by tens of yards. I'd say at least 50 yards between Colyer and Lawrence. Maybe more.

In the Monday morning quarterbacking we've done with regard to this event, we think had Lawrence stayed in the creek there's a possibility he would have seen the animal if it had turned and run in his direction. However, upon hearing the gunfire, he left the creek bed and moved as quickly as possible toward Daryl's position.

When Colyer rounded a bend in the road and entered a clearing in front of the West Cabin, he witnessed a large, brown, upright, hair-covered figure walking in front of him at a distance of roughly 25-30 yards.

That seems self-explanatory.

Walking to the south, the creature was momentarily obscured by vegetation and was then visible through an eight to ten foot opening in the dense foliage, still approximately 25-30 yards from Colyer’s position.

To the south of the cabin was the creek bed. The animal was moving in that direction. Note that Colyer saw the animal twice clearly. Once when it crossed the road and again through the opening in the foliage.

Within a few seconds he heard the faint sound of an automobile engine starting. When Diaz arrived at the location of the encounter, Colyer directed him to investigate the automobile sound. Diaz found a container of iced tea on the ground approximately 50 yards down the path...

If Daryl was 25-30 yards from the animal when he fired and the beverage container was found another 50 yards or so down the path (at the location we assume they were when they heard the gunfire), then they were something like 75-80 yards away. This is our conservative estimation. We know for a fact the distance between the ejected shotgun shells and trail the animal was following. That's where the 25-30 yard figure comes from.

Their position, relative to Colyer's, was to the west through the dense forest, while the animal Colyer was attempting to collect was to his southwest. Neither they nor their vehicle was ever in the line of fire.

As has been mentioned by others in this thread, the weapon Daryl was carrying did not have the range of a rifle. Not only were they not in the line of fire, they were outside its effective range and protected by 75-80 yards of dense forest and foliage. It must have been a terrible shock for them to hear the gunfire, to be sure, but they simply were not in a position of danger. Had they been visible to Daryl, he would not have discharged his weapon.

I hope this clarifies the relative position of everyone.

My first thought with the missed shots at that range were that there was a slight implication of the shape shifting dissapearing bigfoot.

Um...OK. Except we saw it's tracks, so...

Seems the Erickson project has created a desperation to bag one first.

I can assure you the TBRC is not in competition with anyone with regard to our research. We're not in a race nor do we feel any kind of pressure based on the alleged activities of others. We want to establish this animal as real so the real work of conservation can start.